Matt Speirs

wow-wee

Found out today that Matt speirs has passed.  Matt was one of the longest serving in the old Ayrshire league and spent many years as match Secretary always had time for a chat when I met him mainly at troon where he was still doing his match report for the local paper. RIP matt

A true gent of a man in all respects. I spoke to Matt most Saturday nights to give him our result as well as get that days other junior results and get the following week’s opponents.
(That was back in the late 1980’s pre internet)
He always made the time for you and nothing was too much trouble.
As posted above he was one of the “Old guard”
And fittingly a minutes silence in respect of a true gent.

As a former Referee who worked under Matt in the old Ayrshire region and met him at games later when he was working for the local papers can only say he will be sadly missed from both positions . Was a gentleman who will be sadly missed and am deeply disappointed that I only heard of his passing last night and was unable to attend his memorial service today.

Guest Moomintroll

Matt was an absolute gentleman & gave me a great piece of advice in my younger years, "no matter what he says, Bert isn't always right". Bert usually was but I would always defer to Matt if he insisted. Politics were in play but he should have been the West Fixtures Secretary & Robertson was a shambles throughout, RIP.