Brechin City FC New Gaffer

Interesting appointment and one that on paper, should excite the Brechin fans. He’s a name that should attract initial interest from potential sponsors and across the wider community and he’s also someone with the background that players would want to play for.

Ok, something has happened at Airdrie that the fans weren’t impressed about, and that obviously cost him his job, but when your club is in free fall and you are only 3 points off the foot of League 2, then you are either going to appoint a manager that failed elsewhere or another rookie. Queens Park, Cowdenbeath & Cove are proving at this point that people can still be good appointment at this level with a CV blip.

Good luck to Wilson, obviously hoping it’s not at the detriment of Stirling but he comes across as a good lad on the radio and deserves another chance to make a success of his management career.

6 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Interesting appointment and one that on paper, should excite the Brechin fans. He’s a name that should attract initial interest from potential sponsors and across the wider community and he’s also someone with the background that players would want to play for.

It sounds like the complete opposite of that. You've already got a lower league player commenting on the appointment saying how much of a knob Wilson is, and that player as far as I'm aware hasn't even played under Wilson. If players who haven't even played for him have heard bad things about him then you can bet the majority of the lower leagues will know about it too. I can see Wilson having to win players over here.

16 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Ok, something has happened at Airdrie that the fans weren’t impressed about, and that obviously cost him his job, but when your club is in free fall and you are only 3 points off the foot of League 2, then you are either going to appoint a manager that failed elsewhere or another rookie. Queens Park, Cowdenbeath & Cove are proving at this point that people can still be good appointment at this level with a CV blip.

Good luck to Wilson, obviously hoping it’s not at the detriment of Stirling but he comes across as a good lad on the radio and deserves another chance to make a success of his management career.

Well said that man:Clap:

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

It sounds like the complete opposite of that. You've already got a lower league player commenting on the appointment saying how much of a knob Wilson is, and that player as far as I'm aware hasn't even played under Wilson. If players who haven't even played for him have heard bad things about him then you can bet the majority of the lower leagues will know about it too. I can see Wilson having to win players over here.

Or maybe Sean Dickson is a complete knob 

7 minutes ago, Best Team in Angus said:

Or maybe Sean Dickson is a complete knob 

You may be right, I don't know the guy personally, but so far you've got every man, woman and dog at Airdrie outing Wilson as a knob, and a lower league player being happy to make such comments on social media too which you don't see often. 

If you listen to the fine gentleman who posted above me on his wonderful lower league football podcast, you'd realise that when deciding who to sign for, lower league players will ask around about the interested club and manager that wants them. If the players line for Mark Wilson is "he's a knob - avoid" then that is not a good starting place for Mark Wilson.

13 hours ago, citydiehard said:

This is the best appointment since Ray McKinnon.

Mark Wilson has got plenty playing experience under good managers at Celtic and Dundee Utd,so hopefully has learnt a lot from them.He always comes across well on Off the Ball and Sportsound on a Saturday too.

Good luck Mark and welcome to the Glebe and lets get the positivity back.

12 hours ago, gm_1982 said:

Interesting appointment, fingers crossed he does well and stops the rot.

After reading Airdrie finished 3rd under him, surprised to see him being labelled a dud. What’s the story there? Finishing narrowly above our side under Dods is nothing to shout about but at the same time a fairly solid finish?

The heavy caveat there though is that if Andy Ryan and Iain Russell (neither of whom he signed) hadn't scored nearly 50 goals between them we'd have been mid-table/bottom half of the league at best. His team, which were full-time, conceded almost 70 goals, got cuffed 5-0 by Stenny, put in a dismal performance at Livingston at Christmas when we were still relatively in with a chance of top spot (if Kevin Schmidt was still running around the Toni Macaroni arena today he still wouldn't have scored) and a series of other pathetic performances including against the Rovers, eventually relegated Queen's Park and the infamous midweek night at Brechin. The luminaries he signed were Kyle Hutton, Jack McKay, Simon Mensing and Jordan McGregor. I'm not sure you could consider any of them even a qualified success. We might have made the play-offs but I don't think anyone was confident of success and so it turned out. 

For me the worst thing about Wilson was that he always had an air of superiority about himself. Like he was bigger and better than Airdrieonians Football Club. That was reflected in comments like "Airdrie fans are difficult to please" and his maw/granny/auntie commenting on the Airdrie facebook page with "you're Airdrie what did you expect!!" after we got cuffed by Livingston and after pretty much every defeat when she would always leap to his defence. His "they didn't like me because I played for Celtic" comment after he left was pathetic. We didn't not like you because you played for Celtic, we didn't like you because you were pish at your job. 

As others have mentioned too, there's the doubt over whether it was really him or Dalziel that was in charge also. 

He seemed like he was done with management once he left us so I am shocked he's taken a job at another SPFL club. Even more shocked that another club would actually offer him a job though.

I think BB_Bino summed it quite well with regard to managers that are currently doing a decent job and received a lot of stick from previous clubs. I am sure if you asked Forfar fans and probably some players about Bollan  they would not have anything good to say about him. As I said in my post about the appointment not sure what to make of him I just hope he does the business and can stop us sliding to the HL

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Football players are as fickle and idiotic as fans though. All it takes is a few good results and a couple of cracking players and opinions will soon turn. Danny Lennon was far from popular with a lot of players from us, it hasn't stopped him being a relative success. Add that to the fact that Airdrie fans are being viewed as the voice of reason!

The tweet is more embarrassing for Dickson than anyone else.

37 minutes ago, Best Team in Angus said:

I think BB_Bino summed it quite well with regard to managers that are currently doing a decent job and received a lot of stick from previous clubs. I am sure if you asked Forfar fans and probably some players about Bollan  they would not have anything good to say about him. As I said in my post about the appointment not sure what to make of him I just hope he does the business and can stop us sliding to the HL

Brechin have thrown the dice. It’s a gamble but at least he has some managerial experience. I suspect the other candidates were rookies and would have been an even bigger gamble.

From what I seen on Saturday, Brechin need to get a couple of good loans in as the players they have will struggle to win games. No doubt Brechin will hope for a new manager bounce to get some wins soon. If they do, pressure will mount on the Stirling manager and so the merry go round continues.!

54 minutes ago, Best Team in Angus said:

Likewise many Brechin fans derided our appointment of Weir. Some guys work at certain clubs some don’t just because he failed at Airdrie doesn’t automatically mean he will at Brechin.

Hope does though!

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Far from it, Sean Dickson's a lovely guy!

It's a small place, the Scottish lower leagues, and everyone will know everyone else.

Dickson is entitled to his opinion but his comment on twitter, regardless of what he thinks was completely unnecessary and unprofessional and one I don't think McMenamin would look too kindly on.

Just my tuppence worth!

2 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Good new for Kevin Rutkiewicz's future job prospects then.. 

47 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Football players are as fickle and idiotic as fans though. All it takes is a few good results and a couple of cracking players and opinions will soon turn. Danny Lennon was far from popular with a lot of players from us, it hasn't stopped him being a relative success. Add that to the fact that Airdrie fans are being viewed as the voice of reason!

The tweet is more embarrassing for Dickson than anyone else.

No arguments from me on the fickleness of football players or fans, and I agree that Wilson may well go on to be a success as sometimes managers fit at certain clubs and not at others. I was responding to a comment on players wanting to play for him though, it's clear from his time at Airdrie that probably wasn't the case and word has spread through the leagues.

I would agree that Dickson would probably have been better served not saying anything at all.