1 relegation place?

edinabear

Put every club with a licence into Round 1 and leave preliminary rounds to those without. There is a decent argument for saying that LL teams deserve to be part of the "seeding" process that applies to SPFL teams because there is a drop down option. But the North doesn't merit that in my view. They've not got any more right to seeding than any club in the EoS Premier  (who can drop further).
Until or unless there is a consistent basis to apply seeding, it should be removed. 
The stuff about "reaching out" or receiving applications doesn't constitute a pyramid. Tier 5 in the Highlands has zero pressure on it and that makes a mockery of the structure - nothing new there. 
The LL and HL are both tier 5 in Scotland with 16 from the LL and 17 from HL going straight into round 1.

All most all the qualifiers from the prelim rounds will be from the LL catchment area meaning they'll have more teams in round 1 than the HL. The qualifiers from the prelims will also make more money than a HL team who lose in round 1.

They will need to change the format as more clubs get licensed but both tier 5 leagues should still come in at the same round IMO.

Anyway the OP was asking about relegation from the LL which got answered with the usual whataboutery.

There should be 2 down from the LL from this season. But there should also be at least 1 down automatically from the SPFL with a play off on top of that. So I agree with Gordon - it probably shouldn't be harder to get out of a league at the top than it is at the bottom. It's just another bit of the jigsaw that would never look the way it does if reason were being applied. Sums up football in this country though.

4 hours ago, HTG said:

But there should also be at least 1 down automatically from the SPFL

with a play off on top of that.

I suspect that isn't going to happen till a team that has been relegated from the SPFL gets promoted back to it.

One certain and two possible relegations from a ten team league? Dream on.

1 hour ago, rockson said:

I suspect that isn't going to happen till a team that has been relegated from the SPFL gets promoted back to it.

One certain and two possible relegations from a ten team league? Dream on.

One certain and one possible via a play-off, seems very reasonable.

There should be 2 down from the LL from this season. But there should also be at least 1 down automatically from the SPFL with a play off on top of that. So I agree with Gordon - it probably shouldn't be harder to get out of a league at the top than it is at the bottom. It's just another bit of the jigsaw that would never look the way it does if reason were being applied. Sums up football in this country though.
Have to say though, in a pyramid you'll always have leagues in which it's easier to go down than up, because you've got 2 or more leagues in your tier feeding into one league above. But a 1 in 4 shot for promotion isn't good enough.

7 hours ago, GordonS said:
7 hours ago, rockson said:
Really? A one-in-five chance of dropping out of the league? Those are very poor odds.

That's what we have in the Championship and L1 right now.

But there's a clear difference in dropping from SPFL divisions to either the HL/LL.

No different to the EFL having 3/4 promotion/relegation spots and only 2 between the National League.

But there's a clear difference in dropping from SPFL divisions to either the HL/LL.
No different to the EFL having 3/4 promotion/relegation spots and only 2 between the National League.
The big drops in Scottish football are from the first and second tier - especially from the second as very few can maintain full-time football below that. Each year that goes by, the difference between L2 and the LL gets smaller. I'm not saying I think L2 *should* have 1.5 relegation spots, but it should definitely have at least 1.

Really? A one-in-five chance of dropping out of the league? Those are very poor odds.
Nothing much different to what exists in League 1 and Championship, why should bottom of League 2 be any different?

First step is to automatically relegate bottom club.

The big drops in Scottish football are from the first and second tier - especially from the second as very few can maintain full-time football below that. Each year that goes by, the difference between L2 and the LL gets smaller. I'm not saying I think L2 *should* have 1.5 relegation spots, but it should definitely have at least 1.
I would argue the drop from SPFL2 to LL is just as big for small clubs.

You can lose access to both the league and Challenge Cup plus the loss in prize money.

Would agree that bottom of SPFL2 should be automatically relegated.

I would argue the drop from SPFL2 to LL is just as big for small clubs.

You can lose access to both the league and Challenge Cup plus the loss in prize money.

Would agree that bottom of SPFL2 should be automatically relegated.
Yeah, in percentage terms you're probably right.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:
3 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I'd say it's pretty significant financially with knock on effects to the way a club operates.

Think of Linlithgow and how they might make little changes here and there if they were guaranteed an extra 40-50k a year.

Maybe even something as simple as a small overdraft that gets dipped into over the course of the season without having to dip hands into pockets.

15 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I'd say it's pretty significant financially with knock on effects to the way a club operates.

Think of Linlithgow and how they might make little changes here and there if they were guaranteed an extra 40-50k a year.

Maybe even something as simple as a small overdraft that gets dipped into over the course of the season without having to dip hands into pockets.

Don't League 2 clubs receive a parachute payment for the first (or maybe also second) season if relegated?

2 hours ago, Kelheart said:

To the EoS from LL might I add 

10 years away, why do you come to that conclusion?  I suspect that if and when we have a west feeder league (in whatever form), then the LL will move to 2 automatic relegation spots.  It was allegedly talked about last year when the Junior clubs were moving over to the EoS.

It's in the interests of the LL to set the example and also increase its strength in order to place further pressure on the SPFL to open up.