The Craig Ferguson thread

What do you make of Craig Ferguson?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was on honeymoon in 2014 and we visited LA to do some studio tours etc. We were walking down Hollywood Bvd and someone was trying to get people to be on a game show/audience. We had a few hours to kills so thought why not. It was some gameshow presented by ‘Creg’, so we sat in the audience whilst they reset everything from the last show. There is a wee warm up guy giving out ipods as prizes and people hooting and hollering enthusiastically as soon as someone says anything ‘Well folks the electricity is working’ queue hysterical clapping etc. Anyway the wee warm up guy asks ‘where is everyone from?’ And starts pointing at people ‘San Diego’- applause, ‘Texas (said quite smugly)’ - much more applause’ then points at the mrs and shes not wanting to say anything so I just said ‘Glasgow’ and theres nuggets wanting to high five us. The wee guy says ‘Aw our host Creg is from Glasgow’ I said ‘No hes from Cumbernauld’ which the wee guy didnt get. Anyway the show starts and its Mario Lopez and some other actor as the ‘Celebrity Name Game’ folks. After the first round they’re moving sets about and Ferguson walks down to talk to the warm up guy, hes doing his fakish american accent (which tbf is purely so the morons there can understand him) and the guy says ‘these folks are from Skaatland’ and snapping instantly out of the accent he said to me ‘alright big guy where you from?’ I said Bearsden and he replied with something about cleaning chimneys and wished us a happy honeymoon and made a joke about me punching. He seemed decent enough and then went back to the accent and helping AC Slater from saved by the bell win someone $10,000. As he walked off the stage he pointed up to us again and said ‘have a great time on honeymoon’ whilst walking past everyone else. So I guess thats a relatively positive story? Seemed decent enough. Not as good a story as the wife having to straddle Ben Affleck on a flight from Las Vegas but its something.

6 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I was on honeymoon in 2014 and we visited LA to do some studio tours etc. We were walking down Hollywood Bvd and someone was trying to get people to be on a game show/audience. We had a few hours to kills so thought why not. It was some gameshow presented by ‘Creg’, so we sat in the audience whilst they reset everything from the last show. There is a wee warm up guy giving out ipods as prizes and people hooting and hollering enthusiastically as soon as someone says anything ‘Well folks the electricity is working’ queue hysterical clapping etc. Anyway the wee warm up guy asks ‘where is everyone from?’ And starts pointing at people ‘San Diego’- applause, ‘Texas (said quite smugly)’ - much more applause’ then points at the mrs and shes not wanting to say anything so I just said ‘Glasgow’ and theres nuggets wanting to high five us. The wee guy says ‘Aw our host Creg is from Glasgow’ I said ‘No hes from Cumbernauld’ which the wee guy didnt get. Anyway the show starts and its Mario Lopez and some other actor as the ‘Celebrity Name Game’ folks. After the first round they’re moving sets about and Ferguson walks down to talk to the warm up guy, hes doing his fakish american accent (which tbf is purely so the morons there can understand him) and the guy says ‘these folks are from Skaatland’ and snapping instantly out of the accent he said to me ‘alright big guy where you from?’ I said Bearsden and he replied with something about cleaning chimneys and wished us a happy honeymoon and made a joke about me punching. He seemed decent enough and then went back to the accent and helping AC Slater from saved by the bell win someone $10,000. As he walked off the stage he pointed up to us again and said ‘have a great time on honeymoon’ whilst walking past everyone else. So I guess thats a relatively positive story? Seemed decent enough. Not as good a story as the wife having to straddle Ben Affleck on a flight from Las Vegas but its something.

Seeing as no-one else is asking, what's the Ben Affleck story? 

Edit: f**k knows how I managed to read that as Ben Stiller first time round. 

Edited by Dee Man

Seeing as no-one else is asking, what's the Ben Affleck story? 
Edit: f**k knows how I managed to read that as Ben Stiller first time round. 

Lol sorry should have just typed it out. 5 mths before I met Mrs Carbon Rod she was in vegas with her friend. They were flying back via new york and in the airport at vegas in the lounge they were waiting to board their flight. A tannoy announcement came over for something like a ‘Mr Green’ to make himself known to staff. Mrs sees some guy who she thought was a jakeball wearing a baseball hat and shades (all discreet like) go to the desk and walk on to the plane before everyone else. She thought it was a bit weird. They board the plane and Mr Green is no where to be seen, so they take their seats, window and middle. Full flight. So Mr Green gets out the bathroom at the front and sits down on the aisle seat and more or less passes out. It dawns on her pal that its Affleck. This was around the time he went off the rails and split up with Jennifer Garner? So he was absolutely reeking of booze (tbf he obviously had just been in Vegas) and slept the full flight. Wife had to straddle him a couple of times because he was so off his tits he wouldn’t wake up. He was apparently very nice when they landed at Newark (I think?) and said hello etc.

I went to see him at the fringe this year, I was to young to remember Bing Hitler but I remember the Ferguson theory from BBC Scotland. I've also watched a load of clips of his chat show. There are three clips in particular of his chat show that made him different from the norm. he eulogises  both parents after they died and the one where he refused to make lazy jokes about Britney Spears. 

I read his new book, Riding the elephant before I went and it is excellent, mostly just stories from his youth. The show at the fringe was essentially him telling these stories aloud with extra stuff thrown in. I wasn't expecting much because comedians that become talk show hosts tend not to be very good comedians or at least can't sustain an act but the show was very good. 

On the America thing, his uncle moved to America in his youth and Craig went to visit him in his early teens and loved it, he also had an extended period there in his early 20's. He got his citizenship because he loved America, he worked there, his (ex)wife and kid are there. 

He now has a large house near Girvan. 

Edited by diegomarahenry

• 2 weeks later...