The Craig Ferguson thread

What do you make of Craig Ferguson?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I like him a lot. That show he hosted when he ripped the pish out GW Bush at some White House dinner was very special. He should be given credit for not trying to disguise where he comes from, unlike so many who have found success away from home.  He still manages to sound refreshingly Scottish.

The shows he did with Billy Connolly were priceless. Scotland should be proud of these guys.

He has taken up citizenship in the States*, though, so however proud we should be of him, the feeling's obviously not reciprocated.

I first met him when he used to hang around the Tron theatre, where my brother worked, in his Bing Hitler days. The stage persona was a pretty decent stand-up, but off-stage he was a bit of an arrogant cúnt, convinced of his own greatness and just waiting for the rest of the world to catch up. His access to decent-quality cocaine - or, indeed, any cocaine (not as common back then) - appeared to be a factor in that particular social circle putting up with his attitude.

* Quite appropriate, really, as his output of the last few years is indistinguishable from any other bland, mainstream US "comedian".

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie

2 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

He has taken up citizenship in the States*, though, so however proud we should be of him, the feeling's obviously not reciprocated.

I first met him when he used to hang around the Tron theatre, where my brother worked, in his Bing Hitler days. The stage persona was a pretty decent stand-up, but off-stage he was a bit of an arrogant cúnt, convinced of his own greatness and just waiting for the rest of the world to catch up. His access to decent-quality cocaine - or, indeed, any cocaine (not as common back then) - appeared to be a factor in that particular social circle putting up with his attitude.

* Quite appropriate, really, as his output of the last few years is indistinguishable from any other bland, mainstream US "comedian".

I would imagine that he took up US Citizenship to enable him top stay in the States for longer periods according to the demands of his chat show work and various other commitments.

I have no reason to believe he is anything other than proud of his Scottish roots, although if you were to tell me he doesn't believe in, or support Scottish independence I might be persuaded to change my mind!

I think if I lived in any country for a long period of time I would consider taking out citizenship there if possible. Why would you not want to make things easier for yourself, be able to vote etc? Wouldn’t necessarily mean I hated Scotland though.

It’s not like he had to renounce his uk passport to do it.

38 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

lol wut

12 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I would imagine that he took up US Citizenship to enable him top stay in the States for longer periods according to the demands of his chat show work and various other commitments.

I have no reason to believe he is anything other than proud of his Scottish roots, although if you were to tell me he doesn't believe in, or support Scottish independence I might be persuaded to change my mind!

Yep, I imagine he took up US citizenship for personal (i.e. financial) reasons. He struck me as unnecessarily sycophantic towards "his" new country when I read his autoiography, mind. Which, incidentally, reads like very little happened pre-Spamland in his life. I'd honestly rather read a recap of his earlier years, with a bit of the BH attitude, than the sanitised pap he runs with now.

3 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

I think if I lived in any country for a long period of time I would consider taking out citizenship there if possible. Why would you not want to make things easier for yourself, be able to vote etc? Wouldn’t necessarily mean I hated Scotland though.

It’s not like he had to renounce his uk passport to do it.

Each to his own - I personally haven't darkened the US's metaphorical doorstep since their thanks for legitimising their invasion of Iraq was to increase security checks and require visas from UK citizens. Back in the days when we thought Dubya was as bad as it could get.

48 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Yep, I imagine he took up US citizenship for personal (i.e. financial) reasons. He struck me as unnecessarily sycophantic towards "his" new country when I read his autoiography, mind. Which, incidentally, reads like very little happened pre-Spamland in his life. I'd honestly rather read a recap of his earlier years, with a bit of the BH attitude, than the sanitised pap he runs with now.

Did you go out and buy his autobiography because you didn't like him?

13 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Did you go out and buy his autobiography because you didn't like him?

Nah, I got it in a bundle of e-books I "acquired", and I like a good life story, so...

(Interestingly. two cracking autobiographies in the same lot were Errol Flynn's and Ace Frehley's. Love it when band members fall out and then spend two hundred pages slagging off their former besty.

ETA: on the subject of "when bands fall out" Don Felder's Heaven and Hell is good as well.

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie

48 minutes ago, Estragon IS NOT a fud said:

His accent is total cringe.

Anyone who softens their accent for English or American audiences needs their citizenship revoked.

I wonder if it's not just natural as happens  to many when they move to other English speaking countries?  I'm thinking  Sheena Easton type of thing.

As far as I can tell some folk can maintain their accent wherever they live while others change theirs, but it's not a conscious thing they can affect.

That said I really struggle to listen to someone with one of these weird transitional accents.

I only left Scotland so i could ditch my Ayrshire accent [emoji3]

1 minute ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Did it work? Because mine has proved impossible to shift.

Kind of, I've toned it down considerably, I had to those poor dutch folk had no idea what the f**k I was on about, it comes back with a vengeance when I'm back in Ayrshire and had a few beers, it's a constant battle.

22 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

As has been stated, getting citizenship doesn't mean you are any less "proud" of your home country than anyone still residing there. That's as bizarre as saying you obviously hate Scotland as you've chosen to stay in England. 

I will be applying for citizenship for Australia at the first opportunity, (next year), not because I hate Scotland but because it means I will have both British and Australian passports and will be able to come and go from each country as I please without visa issues or time restrictions.

It also means I don't risk getting thrown out at any time in the future if I go on a mass killing spree on outside lane hoggers and I can play for Australia if Stevie Clarke doesn't pick me for his next squad.