Stenhousemuir -vs- Edinburgh City

I'm reasonably confident going into this game - we did well enough against the Citizens when we met in the Challenge Cup last week and we were the superior team against Elgin City on Saturday. I'd like to see us build on this good series of results and start climbing up the League 2 table; I'd also expect us to continue to try and pass the ball around because it's reaping dividends at the moment. We should keep the same XI that took to the field at Borough Briggs but maybe swap Kieran Anderson for David Hopkirk (I'd also like to see Thomas Halleran start the match but that's probably unlikely):

- Mark McGuigan - David Hopkirk -

- Alan Cook - Dylan Dykes - Jamie McKernon - Kieran Gibbons - Liam Scullion -

- Scott McLaughlin - David Marsh - Andy Munro -

- Graeme Smith -

I'd be a bit disappointed if we don't come out on top here but I know I open myself up for scorn and ridicule by being confident.

12 minutes ago, Hard Graft said:

That was always going to be the worry.

I don't have any insight into what the situation is with Hopkirk - apparently he was "ill" last week, and I was wondering if that will still be the case come Saturday. 

I don't have any insight into what the situation is with Hopkirk - apparently he was "ill" last week, and I was wondering if that will still be the case come Saturday. 
Your comment for us that don't know what that reference FF made seemed to allude to the fact he had mental health issues prior to signing and that this may be an issue again. Which would have been quite distasteful on a public forum.

3 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

"The worry"? Why, because he's had issues with his mental health in the past?

What a load of shite, you should be embarrassed talking about someone like that.

The referencing of Hopkirk's previous issues seems to have come a few posts before this one. Pretty disappointing stuff from the first reply to the OP in all honesty. Way to back one of our own! 

Edited by Christophe

Missing this one which is a pity as it’s a lovely wee away day. Despite our generally rubbish record against Stenny since we got promoted I think we’ll win this time.

The retirement of Josh Walker is probably a blessing in disguise as Marc Laird + an aggressive ball winner in the middle of the park (Liam Brown on loan from Motherwell doing a lovely job stepping in for Andy Black) is by far our best option in midfield. Despite a few slack moments defensively we looked more like ourselves against Stirling and hopefully that continues on Saturday.

I liked the idea of Harris playing off a striker (reasonable argument that striker should be Court and not Henderson but that’s for another time and isn’t a universally held opinion) and it lets us play Harris and Handling in the same side.

Going for a game of the day contender 2-3 victory for City which I’ll have to follow on my phone as I attend some substandard comedian at the Edinburgh Fringe.

Antell - Thompson, Balatoni, Henderson, Crane - Handling, Laird, Brown, Rab Mac - Harris, Court would be my choice in a 4 - 4 -1 - 1 formation

3 hours ago, AllyMonc said:

Going for a game of the day contender 2-3 victory for City

Antell - Thompson, Balatoni, Henderson, Crane - Handling, Laird, Brown, Rab Mac - Harris, Court would be my choice in a 4 - 4 -1 - 1 formation

Ally, With that formation and that team Line up  how would City manage to score 3 goals?.... Who would score?

IMHO, that team would get beat 2-0 or 2-1 at a push.

Presumably then you've got the 3 strikers all on the bench?

Stenny fans.  How's your team doing this season?  A good win there at Elgin for you!  Are you hopeful of a play-off spot, or more?

Ally, With that formation and that team Line up  how would City manage to score 3 goals?.... Who would score?

IMHO, that team would get beat 2-0 or 2-1 at a push.

Presumably then you've got the 3 strikers all on the bench?

Stenny fans.  How's your team doing this season?  A good win there at Elgin for you!  Are you hopeful of a play-off spot, or more?

A very similar team created multiple clear chances on Saturday, more than enough to score 3 goals! I’ve got 2 strikers on the bench, Henderson and Shepp, who can come on as needed, as I’ve said before I like Court and I think he deserves a chance in the team, especially away from home against a decent side.

*edited to add I’m assuming in all of this that Alan Smith is not fit enough to start as otherwise I’d find a place for him

Henderson's a poacher and Court can hold up the ball/ rummle them up at corners so I'd play both of them - however City might have the equivalent of Cowden's Sheerin/Renton situation where both don't seem to be able to play on the pitch at the same time though.. 

ochil2.thumb.jpg.2882bf6c624a61b849a6f7edd0b41bdd.jpg

Whenever I visit the modern Ochilview I always think there's something missing from the view across from the new stand. Basically this ^^^

12 hours ago, Moonglum25 said:

Looking forward to this - hopefully we get a good result.  Is 3-5-2 now going to be our preferred line up?  Hopkirk, if fit, straight back into the team to replace Anderson?

I think it has to be by default due to the central midfielders we have. None look particularly handy in a two and we were far more comfortable at Elgin with three in there. We even passed the ball at times it was quite something.

Hopkirk for Anderson would be the only change for me. Anderson was way off at it Elgin whilst Hopkirk hasn't got going yet really and still has two in two.