Queen's Park v Elgin City

Big test for Elgin this week to bounce back from a poor home performance. A very good start suddenly becomes edgy if another 3 points are lost.

Our lads have a test too. How to keep the bar as high as Saturday’s performance. Nice to have such worries.

Sutherland and friends won’t get space and time to do their stuff like last season and with an abundance of options up front I’m going for a 2-0 home win.

Elgin will certainly carry the biggest threat we've faced, so far. We'll need to be on it. Play like we did on Saturday, though, and we'll win the game. It's that simple. 

It was imperative to get off to a fast start given the trap door that lurks below us. We're already seven points clear of that and hopefully, without being complacent, looking up instead of over our shoulders. Same starting XI for me. 

3 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Tough one for Elgin. Long injury list showing no signs of clearing up which is leaving us with little scope to change things around. Not optimistic of getting a result I’m afraid.

It's a double edged sword though. Injuries certainly don't help, but a manager can't also suggest that the same players playing lots of games isn't helping, & at the same time not rotate his squad to use all those that he does have available. If the fringe players / youngsters aren't given opportunity to play & be active members of the squad, particularly when things are going well - as they had been until Saturday - & there are options / choices, then how does he know how they'll do if / when he has no option but to play them as a 'last resort'? There's usually at least one player in any club's squad each season who 'comes from nowhere' & takes their chance when given it, which then gives the manager an added bonus / benefit, & a nice problem to have with tough choices when everybody is fit. 

Two positives are that Omar will be back this week, & potentially also Cameron, as believe he's back to full training. 

I see where your coming from and agree in principal. The problem is that if we lose Saturday, Brechin and Stirling win, then we are near the bottom of the league. The pressure on the manager gets ramped up (Brechin have already lost a manager 3 games in) so you can see and understand why you would be reluctant to have a punt on someone untested.

Good Omar is back but heard Cameron is a bit away from a return yet.

13 minutes ago, Thom & Gerry said:

I see where your coming from and agree in principal. The problem is that if we lose Saturday, Brechin and Stirling win, then we are near the bottom of the league. The pressure on the manager gets ramped up (Brechin have already lost a manager 3 games in) so you can see and understand why you would be reluctant to have a punt on someone untested.

Yup, hence my point that options should be tried when things aren't so critical. There were at least two pre-season friendlies when some subs weren't used at all. We were 3-0 nil up & cruising against 10-man Cowdenbeath, & also 3 up & comfortable against Stirling. Opportunities have been there, but now caught between a rock & a hard place. Personally I can't see that there's any pressure on Price, & he's certainly not in the Barry Smith category. If there were, then the really poor run towards the end of last season would have been the time when he would have gone, but now that the Club has invested in 'his' squad, it would take a pretty calamitous run to see him being ushered out of the door. Saturday was only one bad performance / result, so it's the test of a manager as to how he responds , & in turn gets his players to respond.  

Don’t think he’s under any pressure either but a few bad results and the prospect of bottom will soon get people on his case. Don’t think we were ever cruising v Cowdenbeath. I’ve seen us loose a few 3 goal leads in recent seasons. I wouldn’t have changed it till last 10.  I dare say if somebody was sticking out in training they would be in.

We’ve usually struggled to start strong after big Summer team transitions then looked for a run of wins further into the season. However, it’s fair to say, this year we’ve hit the ground running with a more than decent start.

Now it’s about carrying on the momentum. I think Cove will be challengers this year. Big win on Saturday sets up a top of the table clash for the week after. Exciting stuff indeed.

One game at a time though - I think this will be our toughest game yet. Tricky to assess Elgin after their result at the weekend. Stenny didn’t offer much but they are difficult to play against. Elgin perhaps found that out on Saturday.

2-1 Queens.

Then again, if Galt’s feeling ruthless...

10-1 Queens.

Hard game for us coming off the back of a very poor performance against stenny. We’ve been pretty good up till now considering the players we have injured so hopefully Saturday was a blip and we can get a result. If Omar is back that’s a big plus but think Soapy Cameron is few weeks off match fitness. If our midfield turns up this week or aren’t bypassed by constant punts up the field, I’m hoping to nick it 1-2.

On ‎20‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 14:15, Thom & Gerry said:

Price has confirmed on an ECFC Facebook post that Cameron is back for this game

Back to the fitba'. Actually buzzin for this one now. Been such a long time since we've been on a good run but the summer signings seem to be so well balanced we've every hope of more to come. The game is at Hampden though and already the Hampden effect is showing it's ugy face.  Anything short of 3 points though will be a negative though. 'Mon the Hoops.

City fans bringing down their normal 3-400?