East Fife v Airdrie

Never an easy game to predict tbh.
Both teams more than capable of giving the other a doing, so absolutely no result would surprise me here.
Hopefully a couple of wins on the bounce (3 with the cup game) will have a wee bit of a confidence boost for the players.

As someone before mentioned there, play like 1St half against Clyde, we could be 2 or 3 down before the break.
But if we play like the second 45 I'd be confident of getting something.
Obviously want to win every game but I don't think it would be a bad point to bring home from methil tbh.
As I mentioned, absolutely no result would surprise me and I did say both teams capable of a doing.
Just unfortunate we were on the receiving end of it even before half time.
Makes my decision to go and watch the bowls in the sunshine with a few beers even more of a wise move.
Can't argue with the score or blame anyone for that, you can always pass the buck on a close game decided by the odd goal.
That was a pumping.

That was brilliant today! A really surprising routine victory where we could have scored more! I expected much more from Airdrie tbh! Disappointing to lose the clean sheet late on but I'll take a 3 goal win against an Airdrie side who are expected to be in amongst the play offs places at the end of the season! Few beers for the Yarde fight now! Braw min [emoji482]

A really good team performance today hunted Airdrie down in packs. Felt the way Airdrie lined up was very negative with two holding midfield players . First goal was a gift and Murray’s negative game plan went out the window as early as 15 minutes. It always looked a case of how many as the space in behind Airdrie back line was unreal. Ryan Wallace was my man of the match with Watt and Higgins also very impressive. Think the referee had more touches of the ball than East Fife’s keeper. Another performance like this next week please and I’ll be one happy man.

Watt was terrific, 1st half especially. Airdrie's decision to play 3 at the back backfired, especially at the second one. We took the foot off the gas after the fourth. Great to see all ten outfield players celebrating each goal, just highlights the togetherness in this side. League campaign now up and running, and we can go into the Derby with confidence. 

19 minutes ago, fifer67 said:

A really good team performance today hunted Airdrie down in packs. Felt the way Airdrie lined up was very negative with two holding midfield players . First goal was a gift and Murray’s negative game plan went out the window as early as 15 minutes. It always looked a case of how many as the space in behind Airdrie back line was unreal. Ryan Wallace was my man of the match with Watt and Higgins also very impressive. Think the referee had more touches of the ball than East Fife’s keeper. Another performance like this next week please and I’ll be one happy man.

I was working today but I said exactly that when I saw the team and feared the worst. We've never won a game with Wedderburn and Millar starting together in the same midfield and chances are we never will. Was a bizarre way to lineup for a run-of-the-mill league game (it certainly didn't shore us up any) and within 15 minutes the game was over. I'm not sure how many games Murray needs to know it's a combination that doesn't work. Last week we played at our best when we were forcibly moved to play three at the back, but as others pointed out, that was more down to the players increasing their intensity rather than the system itself. We got it badly wrong today but full credit to East Fife, they're a good side. 

About as complete a team performance as you will ever see. As good as Waldo & Tonks were the best player on the park by a country mile was Higgy. We are now seeing just how important a player he is for us. If the Rovers ticket aren’t snapped up by Tuesday afternoon I’ll be gutted! Huge game

The most pleasing thing about this win is that clearly Airdrieonians are no mugs. They had decent spells of possession throughout the game. 

Just as I refuse to get despondent after disappointing performances I equally think that improvements can be made after our most complete league showing to date.

But the positives were all there to be seen; quick out of the blocks, great variation between possession football, getting the ball into the channels early and good pressing from the back. For the most part the back four were excellent.

Only the one negative. Game management at 4-0 up. Keep possession, no need to commit too many players forward. Keep your shape and invite the the opposition to leave gaps at the back.

9 out of 10 performance though. Bring on the Raith...

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

I was working today but I said exactly that when I saw the team and feared the worst. We've never won a game with Wedderburn and Millar starting together in the same midfield and chances are we never will. Was a bizarre way to lineup for a run-of-the-mill league game (it certainly didn't shore us up any) and within 15 minutes the game was over. I'm not sure how many games Murray needs to know it's a combination that doesn't work. Last week we played at our best when we were forcibly moved to play three at the back, but as others pointed out, that was more down to the players increasing their intensity rather than the system itself. We got it badly wrong today but full credit to East Fife, they're a good side. 

As you allude to, it wasn't the formation that changed our fortunes last week, we changed formation after half an hour when Eckersley went off and we continued to be garbage until half time. As you say it was the increased intensity and playing on the front foot that changed the result. Clyde were sitting so deep that they were never going to expose the space out wide like East Fife did today. And the Miller/Wedderburn thing is getting stupid now, we all know it doesn't work but yet again we go with it.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Nah, East Fife are good, and Airdrie have some shite fans.
Did the clowns travel today, or have the better lads at Airdrie decided they are too embarrassing?

Drove a 120 mile round trip just to watch that utter dross today so I'd say that makes me a clown that travelled. Fair play to the Fifers for a good performance but that was dreadful from Airdrie today. Honestly thought it could've been 4 or 5 at half time.

1 hour ago, Angus of the Mo said:

Nah, East Fife are good, and Airdrie have some shite fans.

Did the clowns travel today, or have the better lads at Airdrie decided they are too embarrassing?

those wee boys fair rattled you. pathetic.

About as complete a team performance as you will ever see. As good as Waldo & Tonks were the best player on the park by a country mile was Higgy. We are now seeing just how important a player he is for us. If the Rovers ticket aren’t snapped up by Tuesday afternoon I’ll be gutted! Huge game

Thought that was an outstanding performance- a number of players could of got MOM- which is a good sign. Thought the midfield got the ball forward a lot quicker today- this benefited the front 2 ( who look an excellent pairing) who in return helped the midfield. Again wonderful performance and agree also thought The back four were brilliant also( especially Higgins)