Alloa vs Arbroath

All of what you've said in this post is your opinions or assumptions. There's a big leap from something not working for one game to saying that clearly isn't the best way to play generally. It might prove not to be but that remains to be seen. What I find bizarre is that you've managed to use the evidence of one game to come up with the accusation that it's down to Peter Grant's vanity.

Well it clearly isn't what's best for the team, or definitely wasn't on Saturday, so why was he persisting with it the whole game when it was clear after half an hour?

Find it strange that he took the Alloa job to start with and he's obviously changed the size of the pitch to suit this type of play too when the smaller pitch would've worked in your favour last year.

If you keep playing that way you'll get beat by more by better teams than us.

Assuming that's aimed at Alloa fans then I don't think Hammy can be blamed. He was unfairly and embarrassingly singled out for abuse by some fans during the season he was an Alloa player.

IMG_1031.thumb.jpg.a41ea80a88a2414f7d71d8afe286efb5.jpg

Pick of the bunch

Assuming that's aimed at Alloa fans then I don't think Hammy can be blamed. He was unfairly and embarrassingly singled out for abuse by some fans during the season he was an Alloa player.

He does like a whinge....normally after making an illegal challenge. That I suspect causes the fans reaction. It’s his choice whether to react in a childish way, as caught on the shot above. I don’t recall him being singled especially in that very poor team. In fact when he came on when his job was simplified to defending and not trying to be a wing back I can recall good appreciation from the Alloa support.

All of what you've said in this post is your opinions or assumptions. There's a big leap from something not working for one game to saying that clearly isn't the best way to play generally. It might prove not to be but that remains to be seen. What I find bizarre is that you've managed to use the evidence of one game to come up with the accusation that it's down to Peter Grant's vanity.

Going off of a column done by Craig Cairns for the National...

He supposedly said he wants you to play like Atletico Madrid without the ball and Barcelona with the ball? [emoji23] that's just mad for a team who'll be battling relegation and it really doesn't seem like the way that would best suit your team, stand by what I said

Looks like it's aimed towards another team mate going by the camera angle and with where the gazebo is? Alloa fans wouldn't be in that part of the ground. Certainly don't think it would be towards any fans anyway

He supposedly said he wants you to play like Atletico Madrid without the ball and Barcelona with the ball? [emoji23] that's just mad for a team who'll be battling relegation and it really doesn't seem like the way that would best suit your team, stand by what I said

I don’t think he’s expecting them to be as good as either of those teams.

However it’s pretty simple tbh. Deep and compact without the ball and when in possession look to pass instead of punting it up the park. They managed to play like that for large parts of last season.

I don’t think he’s expecting them to be as good as either of those teams.

However it’s pretty simple tbh. Deep and compact without the ball and when in possession look to pass instead of punting it up the park. They managed to play like that for large parts of last season.

Well obviously he's not expecting them to be as good as Barca or Atletico?

I watched all the lower league highlights last season and never once from memory can I remember Alloa getting up to what they were in the game they played against us. This wasn't keeping the ball instead of punting it, it was playing like Arsenal have been so far this season and how the good Barcelona teams used to play with centre halves taking the ball from goalies at goal kicks.

Hope they continue to play like that but I can't see it working for them or Peter Grant personally

My opinion

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

He supposedly said he wants you to play like Atletico Madrid without the ball and Barcelona with the ball? emoji23.png that's just mad for a team who'll be battling relegation and it really doesn't seem like the way that would best suit your team, stand by what I said

It was a tongue in cheek remark after the Partick Thistle game. He was laughing and the reporter was laughing.

On 27/08/2019 at 08:14, 1320Lichtie said:

Find it strange that he took the Alloa job to start with and he's obviously changed the size of the pitch to suit this type of play too when the smaller pitch would've worked in your favour last year.

If you keep playing that way you'll get beat by more by better teams than us.

Said this about a thousand times, but the smaller pitch didn't work in our favour last year. It didn't suit our passing style and we struggled to score goals on it. We looked a better team away. It took us ages to adapt and it helped a shitfesting Falkirk side to 6 points which almost cost us dearly. One of Jim Goodwin's few errors of judgement over the past couple of years. 

I haven't seen anywhere near enough of Alloa so far this season to say too much, but despite that I wouldn't question enlarging the pitch at all. What does worry me slightly is the move away from a formation which had been very successful for Jack Ross and Jim Goodwin, and which suited our players very well. Two poor results in a row does raise a few questions. But it's very very early still. 

As for Hammy, not great form IMO for any player to be doing that towards fans, if that's what happened, whatever has been shouted at them. Best way is to go home with the win, which he did. Always thought he had good attitude for us anyway. He did his best and was effective enough in the second half of the season, despite his limitations as a player. 

Edited by Waspie

Said this about a thousand times, but the smaller pitch didn't work in our favour last year. It didn't suit our passing style and we struggled to score goals on it. We looked a better team away. It took us ages to adapt and it helped a shitfesting Falkirk side to 6 points which almost cost us dearly. One of Jim Goodwin's few errors of judgement over the past couple of years. 
I haven't seen anywhere near enough of Alloa so far this season to say too much, but despite that I wouldn't question enlarging the pitch at all. What does worry me slightly is the move away from a formation which had been very successful for Jack Ross and Jim Goodwin, and which suited our players very well. Two poor results in a row does raise a few questions. But it's very very early still. 
As for Hammy, not great form IMO for any player to be doing that towards fans, if that's what happened, whatever has been shouted at them. Best way is to go home with the win, which he did. Always thought he had good attitude for us anyway. He did his best and was effective enough in the second half of the season, despite his limitations as a player. 

That was not towards any fans. Can clearly see that from the angle he's facing and the fact the gazebo stand is where it is.

Always saw Hammy as a bit of a weak link for Arbroath when weve played them in recent seasons- in the sense that he can crack if you double up on him and apply pressure down that side of the pitch. Credit where its due though he had a really solid game last Saturday.

7 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

Hammy clearly doing it to either a team mate or friends/family in the Arbroath end. Hammy gets a lot of undue criticism IMO (myself included), considering he’s playing on the same wing as bobby who offers nothing defensively.

He was a failed Alloa player, and with an attitude like this, he deserves all the abuse directed him that the Alloa fans want to hurl.

Just my opinion

Edited by laughing gravie

I took this photograph.  The truth is I didn't even notice he was doing what he was doing when I posted.  

I was embarrassed after seeing it on here I deleted the image of my flickr account, as Hammy is a top, top bloke and would do anything for anyone.   

It was well after the full time whistle as the Arbroath players went over to the Arbroath fans and I presume Hammy had friends or family in the crowd as he lives not a million miles away, also a few other players came over to talk to their families.  It was in the far corner of the ground where only the Arbroath fans were situated, far away from any Alloa supporters.

I'm sure all opposition fans of how players perform at their club, but with over 200 appearances for Arbroath and two league winners medals he is an Arbroath legend.

Anyone who was at the meeting last night with Ian Campbell knows just what Hammy's character is like, and makes his performance on Saturday even more remarkable.

He was a failed Alloa player, and with an attitude like this, he deserves all the abuse directed him that the Alloa fans want to hurl.
Just my opinion

I’m pretty sure Alloa offered him a contract the summer he came back to us. And what attitude are you on about?