Alloa vs Arbroath

The only negative I can think of, from an Arbroath point of view, is that you only scored one, despite plenty of chances and near misses. Long season ahead, but both sides will need to take their opportunities when they come. Will be very happy if we both stay up.

Thank Christ Greig went off before scoring. That would've been the final kick in the baws.

31 minutes ago, scillybirder said:

Yes. Exact figures would be good. (Not the ones you'll be telling the taxman)

:lol:  Cheeky bassa.

I'll leave that to @LeodhasXD. f**k only knows what weetoonlad/Wasps1 would tell you.

15 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

:lol:  Cheeky bassa.

I'll leave that to @LeodhasXD. f**k only knows what weetoonlad/Wasps1 would tell you.

I don't even check attendances.

14 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

Highlights available anywhere yet?

I messed them up yesterday so I'm fixing it today. Probably be 1 or 2 o'clock I'll get them up.

We were absolutely awful on Saturday. 

Definitely missed Andy Graham and his excellent leadership on the park.

Nobody played well and the early signs are very worrying. 

Realise we are only three games into the Season but Peter Grant needs to make a number of good quality loan signings as we have a far weaker squad than the one that finished the season or indeed the one we had from the end of August. 

His tactics and instance to play from the back is going to get us into real trouble against teams that are better than Arbroath, would hate to see what Shankland would do us given some of the opportunities we have presented in the past two games. 

Hope he proves me wrong.

We were absolutely awful on Saturday. 
Definitely missed Andy Graham and his excellent leadership on the park.
Nobody played well and the early signs are very worrying. 
Realise we are only three games into the Season but Peter Grant needs to make a number of good quality loan signings as we have a far weaker squad than the one that finished the season or indeed the one we had from the end of August. 
His tactics and instance to play from the back is going to get us into real trouble against teams that are better than Arbroath, would hate to see what Shankland would do us given some of the opportunities we have presented in the past two games. 
Hope he proves me wrong.

The end sums it up for me

Almost felt like a vanity project for Peter Grant the way you were playing. Like he'd showed the team a few videos of Arsenal and told you to copy it. Not sure that's what is best for the team but looks like he'll persist with it.

The game in the league cup was kind of false, we had a midfield 2 with Swankie and Gold playing. Whatley and Murphy will be starting there and both came in with Gold just infront of them and properly pressed you into a lot of mistakes.

Both teams will make a variety of tactical changes, loan changes etc. throughout the season so I don't think a huge amount can be read into yesterday for either team in terms of how the full season will go.

In terms of ourselves, I thought we were excellent on Saturday considering our limitations and no doubt about which team deserved the points in the end. Greig Spence again contributed well and his through ball for the goal was excellent. So far in his 3 league games I'd say he's proved me wrong in terms of definitely being able to offer us something this season, but he really needs to get some league goals scored, it's been over a year and 20 odd league games since his last one. If he could add some goals in to what he's offered in the last few games then he may be in business..... Obviously Saturday makes no difference to what we're missing/ needing to add to the squad.

Dick seemed to get things spot on tactically also - I found it infuriating the way we sat off Alloa and just let them walk the ball into our half at Gayfield last month, and it was great to see us put pressure on from the start and not let Alloa get on top of the game like they did previously. We also managed the game superbly once we were on top, the subs worked very well and we ran the game down nicely towards the end. That's what we're going to have to do in any game we want to pick up points in; be disciplined, sit in well, be smart in possession and don't waste the ball.

Also thought Josh Campbell looked very useful when he came on; did all the simple stuff correctly and used the ball well. If we're going to go with a 4-5-1/ 4-4-1-1 this season which seems very likely with current striking options I think he could be very useful.

50 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

A lot of us winning the ball in midfield too in there which happened all game

Not to take anything away from Arbroath, but it wasn't helped by us giving the ball away a lot too.

Just a bad day that we can hopefully put behind us quickly.

Don’t think the comments are bizarre at all, the highlights clearly show that Alloa were playing the ball out the back the whole game and despite getting smothered and pressed time after time they continued With this tactic. We really could’ve scored 3 or 4 if we’d had more quality / better decision making.

We’d all love to play like this, but you need to have the players to do it. 

Don’t think the comments are bizarre at all, the highlights clearly show that Alloa were playing the ball out the back the whole game and despite getting smothered and pressed time after time they continued With this tactic. We really could’ve scored 3 or 4 if we’d had more quality / better decision making.

We’d all love to play like this, but you need to have the players to do it. 

Nothing you have said here is relevant to my post, which dealt specifically with the bizarre suggestion that we are playing like that was because of Peter Grant's vanity.

Nothing you have said here is relevant to my post, which dealt specifically with the bizarre suggestion that we are playing like that was because of Peter Grant's vanity.

Well it clearly isn't what's best for the team, or definitely wasn't on Saturday, so why was he persisting with it the whole game when it was clear after half an hour?

Find it strange that he took the Alloa job to start with and he's obviously changed the size of the pitch to suit this type of play too when the smaller pitch would've worked in your favour last year.

If you keep playing that way you'll get beat by more by better teams than us.