The Treble Treble Troublers vs Lawrence Shankland F.C

Seems I'm in the minority but I don't think United were anything special, which is a bit worrying for us as they could have won by 4 or 5 and it wouldn't have been an unfair reflection on things. Shankland in particular will get the plaudits but he just doesn't look like a good footballer at all. Somehow he gets into great positions though and when the goalie helps you out, bang - two goals. His penalty was woeful though. Still think Clark is wasted playing in a wider position but it seems to be getting results and that is all Neilson and the United board will care about. McMullan was probably the stand out for me, he seems to have upped his game since last season. Pawlett's miss was sensational - had he fallen over the ball it would surely have went in - but he's clearly a fantastic option to have on the bench when our subs were basically a couple of kids and Danny Devine.

In terms of our "performance" - sheesh, where do we start? The shape and personnel were wrong, the defence looked on edge and couldn't deal with the press, Beadling had as poor a game as I can remember, Nisbet had one chance which he messed up but was so isolated it didn't matter what he could make of the long aimless punts to him, Ryan was terrible in about three different positions, Scully was back to his clown shoes best (why we are having him play out like Emerson or Neuer is one of life's mysteries), Lewis Martin was given no protection (I'd have kept Edwards in the team after last week) and it was only really the subs who get any credit from their cameos.

The only things I'd like to see again from the game today were two penalty incidents - the one given (and he was very quick to give it) looked very harsh as his hands appeared to be across his chest to negate the possibility of giving anything away and one not given at the other end when it looked like an outstretched arm blocked a shot. It likely would have made no difference but in a game with no real bad tackles I though the ref was quite poor and so I'd like to see if he at least got them correct.

Oh my lord hahahhahahahaha shankland doesn’t look like a good footballer, wow

Seems I'm in the minority but I don't think United were anything special, which is a bit worrying for us as they could have won by 4 or 5 and it wouldn't have been an unfair reflection on things. Shankland in particular will get the plaudits but he just doesn't look like a good footballer at all. Somehow he gets into great positions though and when the goalie helps you out, bang - two goals. His penalty was woeful though. Still think Clark is wasted playing in a wider position but it seems to be getting results and that is all Neilson and the United board will care about. McMullan was probably the stand out for me, he seems to have upped his game since last season. Pawlett's miss was sensational - had he fallen over the ball it would surely have went in - but he's clearly a fantastic option to have on the bench when our subs were basically a couple of kids and Danny Devine.

In terms of our "performance" - sheesh, where do we start? The shape and personnel were wrong, the defence looked on edge and couldn't deal with the press, Beadling had as poor a game as I can remember, Nisbet had one chance which he messed up but was so isolated it didn't matter what he could make of the long aimless punts to him, Ryan was terrible in about three different positions, Scully was back to his clown shoes best (why we are having him play out like Emerson or Neuer is one of life's mysteries), Lewis Martin was given no protection (I'd have kept Edwards in the team after last week) and it was only really the subs who get any credit from their cameos.

The only things I'd like to see again from the game today were two penalty incidents - the one given (and he was very quick to give it) looked very harsh as his hands appeared to be across his chest to negate the possibility of giving anything away and one not given at the other end when it looked like an outstretched arm blocked a shot. It likely would have made no difference but in a game with no real bad tackles I though the ref was quite poor and so I'd like to see if he at least got them correct.

Also united don’t look anything special but could have won 4 or 5 Hahahahahahahahahaha what a laugh

First half United won every individual battle on the pitch, but were helped to some degree by awful defending. United caused issues themselves by pressing. They tried to do to us what we did when Ryan Dow scored v Dundee...and it worked. Coupled with Scully's poor attempted saves.

Second half possession wise and in terms of no of attacks each it was pretty even, but United had the better chances and of course the pen. So I would say they defo should have won by more. 

Is it a great United team...hard to say, but it was the better team on the day and i think will be more than enough to win the league. 

As for us, on to Arbroath and get that first win

What a hilariously poor decision. 

There will be no penalty if:

the ball touches a player's hand/arm immediately from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player.
the ball touches a player's hand/arm close to their body and has not made their silhouette unnaturally bigger

Comes off his thigh and his silhouette is no larger = no penalty.

Screenshot_20190826-131210.jpg

the ball touches a player's hand/arm immediately from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player.
the ball touches a player's hand/arm close to their body and has not made their silhouette unnaturally bigger
Screenshot_20190826-131210.thumb.jpg.2853737ee440b2d04e8f9ea2da09023c.jpg
Thought that at the time. Did the highlights show our potential penalty shout in the last quarter? Looked like an outstretched arm to me.

5 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
7 minutes ago, Adam101 said:
Screenshot_20190826-131210.thumb.jpg.2853737ee440b2d04e8f9ea2da09023c.jpg

Thought that at the time. Did the highlights show our potential penalty shout in the last quarter? Looked like an outstretched arm to me.

Would that be the one of Jamie Robson?

The way the camera is you can't really tell if its comes off his shoulder or arm but seeing as it was Robson I would suggest it ought to be a penalty and a red card :whistle

Other than the penalty decision, I thought the referee was ok. At the time, I thought it was never a penalty, having watched it back it’s made it even more clear.

The referee looks to have had a good view and to give a penalty for that is genuinely terrible. The update to the rules specifically mention it is not a handball if it deflects from another part of the body to the arm - which it did. It also says it is not a handball if the arm is across the body, as it was.

That didn’t decide the game though, we only have ourselves to blame for losing. United were much better than us on the day.