The Treble Treble Troublers vs Lawrence Shankland F.C

21 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

I remember that game during the 11/12 season United had about 40 shots on goal and just couldn't score and the Pars scored from a deflection from their only free kick.

I'm sure we only had 4 wins all seasons at home, couldn't buy a win that year.

I think you're mixing up seasons. We won 8 games at home, including beating both Celtic and Rangers. There's no doubt we struggled for parts of the first half of 11/12. Most of the cup-winning team was gone and the new squad took a little while to click.

However, once GMS got a run of games, Armstrong started playing regularly and Russell finally found form around November the rest of the season was pretty enjoyable. Scott Robertson knocked in a fair few goals after not scoring for a couple of years. Dixon had his best year at United, likewise with Daly, who really upped his game to replace the loss of Goodwilie's goals.

The vast majority of my memories of the 11/12 season are positive ones tbh. That early 1-0 defeat to the Pars was a sore one though.

We only won one home game that season. The cracks were starting to show. As much as we were utter dung, it was clear we weren't investing in proper SPL players as our finances were at breaking point. I don't think it was McIntyre showing too much faith in his First Division-winning squad, I don't think he had much of a choice. 

5 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

We only won one home game that season. The cracks were starting to show. As much as we were utter dung, it was clear we weren't investing in proper SPL players as our finances were at breaking point. I don't think it was McIntyre showing too much faith in his First Division-winning squad, I don't think he had much of a choice. 

Was that 3-1 against Aberdeen?

1 minute ago, lochgellyPAR said:

Was that 3-1 against Aberdeen?

Yes. We played "Don't Stop Believing" when we scored, in front of about 1500 home fans. Utter embarrassment of a season. 

The 4-4 game against St. Mirren the week before was a cracker. Pretty sure Kirk made it 4-4 quite late on and one of BMMMH's looping free-kicks right at the death just flashed wide to make it 5 to us. 

Joe Cardle and Andy Kirk were outstanding that season when you consider how dreadful the team was.

Barlow getting injured in December was the final nail in the coffin for me. We were struggling anyway but having to play Chris Smith was just a disaster. He's not quite as bad as some Pars fans make out but in no universe was he an SPL standard keeper at the time.

There was still a few highlights though, Austin McCann's winner at Hibs being my favourite.

3 hours ago, captainkev said:

I think you're mixing up seasons. We won 8 games at home, including beating both Celtic and Rangers. There's no doubt we struggled for parts of the first half of 11/12. Most of the cup-winning team was gone and the new squad took a little while to click.

However, once GMS got a run of games, Armstrong started playing regularly and Russell finally found form around November the rest of the season was pretty enjoyable. Scott Robertson knocked in a fair few goals after not scoring for a couple of years. Dixon had his best year at United, likewise with Daly, who really upped his game to replace the loss of Goodwilie's goals.

The vast majority of my memories of the 11/12 season are positive ones tbh. That early 1-0 defeat to the Pars was a sore one though.

I am. I think it was 2012-13 that I meant. One week without United playing is making me lose my marbles.

EDIT: 11/12 was the season that we were 1 win away from Champions League

Edited by ArabAuslander

Scully

Martin
Morrison
Ashcroft
Comrie

Coley
Paton
Beadling
Dow

Turner

Nisbet

I hate being harsh on Andy Ryan, but I feel Turner playing off Nisbet gives us a lot more options in midfield. He can plug in the gaps when Paton drops back to help the defence, and Nisbet, on his own, can cause defenders problems when we're breaking on counter attacks. 

1 hour ago, DAFC. said:

Scully

Martin
Morrison
Ashcroft
Comrie

Coley
Paton
Beadling
Dow

Turner

Nisbet

I hate being harsh on Andy Ryan, but I feel Turner playing off Nisbet gives us a lot more options in midfield. He can plug in the gaps when Paton drops back to help the defence, and Nisbet, on his own, can cause defenders problems when we're breaking on counter attacks. 

I watched your game against Dundee and thought Dow was very good.  I imagine he will be fired up playing against his old club.

41 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I watched your game against Dundee and thought Dow was very good.  I imagine he will be fired up playing against his old club.

He has certainly stood out as being more than capable of causing damage in this league. 

I'd probably start the same team as we did at Parkhead tbh. Edwards can help Martin take care of McMullan and cutting off Shankland's supply lines will be vital. Having Coley available to come on after an hour or so is a good option to have, same with Ryan coming on to add another dimension. Morrison should keep his place at the back too but Lang will hopefully be on the bench for this.

2 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Would be very harsh for anyone to be dropped after the Celtic game. Barring any injuries or suspensions, I'd say the only change I could even see happening is Coley or Ryan coming in for Edwards, since he was brought in out of nowhere at Parkhead.

Doesn't seem to be how Crawford works. Very much has specific tactics, particularly up the field for the opposition rather than the guys currently in staying in until someone pushed them out.

I'd imagine the back four will remain, big opportunity for Stuart Morrison with Murray out for nearly two months. The set up out in midfield and how many upfront will depend on the coaching staff's analysis of United.

I watched the Friday night game last week and wasn't overly impressed with United. Shankland can pop up and nick a goal from nowhere though. There's that guy Butcher who is just a there to break up play and kick folk, he'll likely target Turner and break things up. Peter Pawlett is the best footballer in the league IMO, he came on last Friday and won them the game I thought.

Pawlett should be above this level, he's a great player.
He should be, but hes had a bad time with injuries. We've certainly not seen the best of him yet but hopefully hes getting back to full fitness.

Wouldn't bet on him starting tomorrow.

1 hour ago, ShaggysBeard said:

Doesn't seem to be how Crawford works. Very much has specific tactics, particularly up the field for the opposition rather than the guys currently in staying in until someone pushed them out.

I'd imagine the back four will remain, big opportunity for Stuart Morrison with Murray out for nearly two months. The set up out in midfield and how many upfront will depend on the coaching staff's analysis of United.

Spot on. It’s fair on the players too and keeps them all on their toes, rather than as things were under AJ where some players could be bombed out for one mistake and others were untouchable.

14 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

under AJ where some players could be bombed out for one mistake and others were untouchable.

AJ had tactics? I thought it was "This is the starting XI for every week, 4-4-2 and if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. Oh, and no substitutes."