Bully Wee v Bairns

Two stonewall penalties one on Toshney and one on Buchanan but other than that we were awful and Clyde deserved it.

Longridge btw? He’s utter garbage, he better be out the squad next week. Would rather see Leitch brought back onto the bench.

Next few games are massive for McKinnon IMO.

A player who is being substituted must leave the pitch by the nearest point on the touchline or byeline - unless the referee says they can leave quickly at the halfway line - or elsewhere for safety or injury reasons. This change is to stop players time-wasting. Any player who "infringes the spirit of this law" will be booked for unsporting behaviour.

Do you think someone can tell the ref the rules of the game?

Good win for Clyde, well deserved. Weird to hear a support chanting for a rapist though. 

Terrific effort from our lads especially given the heat

We've definitely found a keeper in Mitchell the way he commanded his area

Back 4 played well - Rumsby seems to love these kind of games - and they were also given a bit of help with Petkov sitting in front. Hopefully that performance is a confidence booster for Howie also

Sometimes we were a bit deeper than needed. First half Falkirk had 3 marking Goodie & when it became obvious Falkirk were one paced, we probably could have pushed up a bit more.  The Bairns defence also looked there for the taking, but after the start we've had, main thing was getting the win.  

Overall much more like the thing

4 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Good win for Clyde, well deserved. Weird to hear a support chanting for a rapist though. 

You know it’s bad when you have to resort to time wasting criticisms. Like we wouldn’t do exactly the same if we were winning against the league favourites.

10 minutes ago, CC52 FFC said:

Two stonewall penalties one on Toshney and one on Buchanan but other than that we were awful and Clyde deserved it.

Longridge btw? He’s utter garbage, he better be out the squad next week. Would rather see Leitch brought back onto the bench.

Next few games are massive for McKinnon IMO.

Can't remember seeing any stonewall penalties, just your players backing into ours and throwing themselves down.

A player who is being substituted must leave the pitch by the nearest point on the touchline or byeline - unless the referee says they can leave quickly at the halfway line - or elsewhere for safety or injury reasons. This change is to stop players time-wasting. Any player who "infringes the spirit of this law" will be booked for unsporting behaviour.

Do you think someone can tell the ref the rules of the game

You know it’s bad when you have to resort to time wasting criticisms. Like we wouldn’t do exactly the same if we were winning against the league favourites.

Even with the new rule, how many times have you seen a player bring substituted leave the field anywhere else other than the dugout area this season? 

I can't recall any from the games I've been at

4 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

Do you think someone can tell the ref the rules of the game

Even with the new rule, how many times have you seen a player bring substituted leave the field anywhere else other than the dugout area this season? 

I can't recall any from the games I've been at

To be fair they were talking about this on Off the Ball at the start of the season and the ref they had on the show said referees would probably ignore that rule.

15 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Probably because he absolutely rag dolled your defence, all on his own too. 

You should maybe concentrate on your own team’s inadequacies. I was frankly surprised how poor they were. Lots of the ball. No idea what to do with it. 

The match was the antithesis of what it should be to watch a full-time team play a part-time team. It ought to be that the full-time team leverage their superior fitness and more in order to dictate the play: they close you down quicker; they bother you with their pace; their work-rate makes them difficult to deal with. Especially in attack but also in midfield Falkirk failed to do any of the above. They had patently done no homework whatever on our weaknesses and, in fact, positively enabled us by fielding their cardboard cut-out front men - all of Sammon, McManus and, latterly, Johnstone. By the way, I'd be getting McManus sent back to the Highlands, he put in a lazy performance today; borderline unprofessional.

Our defence won't have an easier shift until we play Falkirk again, sadly. Only Sammon really contested headers, and Howie got great runs on those in order to win the majority. Rumsby, McNiff and Lyon barely contested a header; they were largely nodding loose balls back up the pitch.

Aside from Gomis who ticks things over reliably, Falkirk's midfield offered nothing; it wasn't nippy or quick; it wasn't particularly imposing size-wise and it was altogether guileless. There was space to exploit in front of our defence; plenty of it. But nobody in a Falkirk jersey was plying their trade in that area.

Of course, it wasn't all attributable to Falkirk's fecklessness. With Love in front of McNiff - hopefully now settled as our best cover with a back four - we weren't quite so ropey out on the left and Ross Lyon turned in a great shift behind McStay on the other side. Howie and Rumsby in between done really well though, like I say, will never have it easier. Grant? Class act. Lamont? A nuisance and a great Fulcrum today - got turned quickly and stopped Falkirk playing out from the back, all to the end of stopping us defending on our heels and sinking down the pitch. Goodwillie's movement to set-up the goal - how quickly he peeled off his man - was outstanding. And David Mitchell's keeping, both in distribution, command and shot-stopping terms was faultless today. Hats off. Subs Wallace, Smith and, to a lesser extent, Johnston done their jobs.

A very motivated and disciplined showing from us today, and not before time. I don't think we'll suddently begin replicating unfortunately; unless other sides are as naive as Falkirk in how they set-up against us. However, if the only improvement that sticks is that Love - I emphasise again, nigh on our most experienced player and one with a bit of dig about him - becomes a regular on the left then today will've had lasting significance. I almost forgot to mention Petkov who, while not a patch on Rankin, is almost certainly a better centre-mid at this level than he ever will be a centre-half. And even then mind, his use of the ball was shocking at times. But, he done a job calming things down, so fair play.

Kudos to Falkirk for bringing such a big and noisy support.

A wee trip back to my teenage years today; cracking away support (I've heard a 1450/850 split, which doesn't match up with the "official" tally) and a Clyde team with a bit of heart annoying the life out of them. Exactly the reasons why being promoted was celebrated so passionately. Clearly they dominated possession but in terms of chances, there wasn't much in it and we had a bit extra effort.

I thought Danny Lennon, who has taken a wee bit of criticism recently, got his tactics spot on.  McStay and Love were immense as Falkirk's diamond relies entirely on their full-backs pushing forward, and there were times that there was space to exploit as our full-backs tucked in to stop runners from midfield. No surprise they were both substituted given the running they did. Lamont's movement to get close to Goodwillie and ability to pick up nearly every second ball got us up the pitch. Smith's introduction helped stop Falkirk from building up any momentum. If Johnston had started we may well have scored another goal, but we probably would have conceded; that's always the gamble.

Howie had a wild swipe first half, McNiff literally fell asleep at one point but in general the back four defended compact and with aggression. Rumsby has taken a bit of deserved stick but was focussed, and managed to just get his toe to everything. Mitchell a huge advance on Currie in terms of making saves and dealing with crosses. Lyon might give us a chance to get Cuddihy properly fit. Petkov I thought did a ridiculous amount of covering from side-to-side, could perhaps have been better in possession but did his job. If Falkirk are full of Championship players, then Goodwillie and Grant should be in the World Cup. 

The clown in the other dugout was either unprepared, or arrogant, to line up with a system that wasn't remotely designed to take advantage of our weak points. There was no strategy to take Grant out of the game, no plan to attack the centre half we had at left-back, or the winger we had at right-back (albeit both have played full-back). Gomis was covering right and left and played well in doing so but in the first half he didn't get near the Clyde player playing in his part of the pitch, Mark Lamont. Last week we conceded a couple of goals from low crosses attacked by runners from deep, this week Falkirk floated the ball towards two static strikers. Speaking of whom, I can't fathom (and couldn't when he played against us for Motherwell last season) how someone with such a bad touch as Sammon has carved a career out in Premier leagues both north and south of the border; it surely can't just be the Eremenko effect? 

Didn't see what Bell did or didn't do, but ball-boys time-wasting is a bit embarrassing. Leave that nonsense to Gus McPherson.

Not a fan of Bell(end) but I thought all the ball -boy / goalie antics added to the theatre of the day. I'd be disappointed if the keeper was spoken to. 

Falkirk were well supported throughout and I was grateful they didn't bring their A game.  Clyde were unusually well organised and I felt Rumsby and Howie handled Salmon pretty well.