Scotland “decades behind on attitude to race”

43 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Reminds me of a court report from the Dundee Courier a few years ago, when a Windygates youth appeared in court charged with throwing a half brick through the window of a bus bound for Kennoway, which caused injury to a couple of passengers and of course damage to the bus.

Asked by the court to explain his actions the youth replied 

Possibly due to the bizarre way they split up the schools. Kids from Windygates went to my school, Kirkland despite Buckhaven being closer. Kids from Kennoway went to Buckhaven. 

2 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Possibly due to the bizarre way they split up the schools. Kids from Windygates went to my school, Kirkland despite Buckhaven being closer. Kids from Kennoway went to Buckhaven. 

So was there a history of animosity between folk from Kennoway and Windygates?

1 hour ago, Kuro said:

Its actually a little racist to assume people from Peterhead are racists, based on nothing at all other than your own preconceptions and bias.  

3 hours ago, Kuro said:

Maybe comes across that way but I think you should maybe look up a definition of the word, it's just clumsy language.  

giphy.gif

We're only a nudge away from the old "it's bigotry to be bigoted against the bigots" thought process that was popular on the Rangers threads a few years back.

6 pages, FFS.

18 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

giphy.gif

Well its certainly discriminatory and judgemental.  Why would you assume people from Peterhead would be racist?  You'd think with your life experiences you wouldn't make statements like that.  And it is racist as you are simply using it as an example of rural Scots.

My favourite put down of my friend who is mixed race after being asked for the umpteenth them where she comes from really and "how she got here" her reply "through a vagina" really shook the little Englander up.

1 hour ago, Kuro said:

Well its certainly discriminatory and judgemental.  Why would you assume people from Peterhead would be racist?  You'd think with your life experiences you wouldn't make statements like that.  And it is racist as you are simply using it as an example of rural Scots.

People of colour tend to stand out in rural and small town 99.9% white places everywhere, and get the "where are you really from" question more than in diverse cosmopolitan places. Norwich when I went to college there was about the whitest place I've ever lived, but had the BNP HQ in a local pub. Peterhead was maybe a bad example since we sent Alexandra Burke up there who probably taught them a few things. And seeing as most of the fishing jobs have been taken over by Filipinos since the local boys got a bit carried away with smack. I assume the white ratio has been preserved in the prison paedo wing though.

2 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

We're only a nudge away from the old "it's bigotry to be bigoted against the bigots" thought process that was popular on the Rangers threads a few years back.

Nope.  Never seen it.

1 hour ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Did the ‘dead club’ not have a banner ‘we may be bigots, but we are not racists’ during the Mark Watters era?

Nope.  Never seen it.

I did see this absolute cracker on our very own forum just last week.

Pretty chilling how we, Scotland's most Scottish club and, at the same time, Scotland's most international club, are dragged in to every pathetic diddy argument.  You are obsessed with religion wrt our club and now, evidently, have a colour chart to assess the hue of our players.

I said it on the Scotland's Shame thread but it bears repeating:  Something is rotten in Knotty Ash.

Edited by The_Kincardine

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

People of colour tend to stand out in rural and small town 99.9% white places everywhere, and get the "where are you really from" question more than in diverse cosmopolitan places. Norwich when I went to college there was about the whitest place I've ever lived, but had the BNP HQ in a local pub. Peterhead was maybe a bad example since we sent Alexandra Burke up there who probably taught them a few things. And seeing as most of the fishing jobs have been taken over by Filipinos since the local boys got a bit carried away with smack. I assume the white ratio has been preserved in the prison paedo wing though.

Hasn't Peterhead Prison been shut for years?

On 17/08/2019 at 14:50, ali_91 said:

see those morons in Ayrshire calling people black b*****ds

Not historically a racist remark M77, but I appreciate how it causes confusion in a modern context and have refrained from using it for years.

12 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

I remember once going to my local Chinese takeaway when back in Fife visiting in the early 90s. When I explained to the Chinese girl behind the counter that I was living in London. She said in a broad Fife accent ‘aye there’s a lot of foreigners down there’.

So she was Scottish, not Chinese then?

Not historically a racist remark M77, but I appreciate how it causes confusion in a modern context and have refrained from using it for years.

Im the same and doesnt really matter if it didnt begin with racist intentions imo. Its pathetic and needs to go.
Anytime you try to have a sensible dicussion about how using the word black in derogatory terms is completely unnaceptable you get hundreds of yir da's calling you a snowflake. Its madness.
No wonder oppistion fans are stunned when they hear ayr/killie/junior fans using that term. Its embarrassing

18 minutes ago, throbber said:

Should we just be more up front and ask people what their ethnicity is straight up rather than dance around the subject asking where they’re from etc? Would that make us less racist?

Everyone should wear a badge stating place of birth, family history and big team.