Scotland “decades behind on attitude to race”

1 hour ago, Angusfifer said:

I have however been on the receiving end of abuse for being Scottish on a couple of occasions living down south. It wasn't very pleasant...

You should try the other way round, it’s went from being a bit of banter, to being thoroughly nasty in recent years

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

Lots of folk of all races are racist. 

I've heard Indians saying that you can't trust Pakistanis, Pakistanis saying that all Sikhs are c***s, gulf Arabs slagging black Arabs and have been told to go back to my own country by a Welsh man. There are racist Scots, racist English and racist Nigerians. 

I'm pretty sure that the social attitude survey covers this and that Scotland is no more racist than the rest of the UK but that Glasgow was the most racist city. 

Why can't we all just get along? 

Cause Aberdonians are c***s

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

Lots of folk of all races are racist. 

I've heard Indians saying that you can't trust Pakistanis, Pakistanis saying that all Sikhs are c***s, gulf Arabs slagging black Arabs and have been told to go back to my own country by a Welsh man. There are racist Scots, racist English and racist Nigerians. 

I'm pretty sure that the social attitude survey covers this and that Scotland is no more racist than the rest of the UK but that Glasgow was the most racist city. 

Why can't we all just get along? 

India and Pakistan are the the most racist place on earth by far. Asia and Africa are also very racist, basically everywhere outside of the Western world is more racist than the West.

A few years ago I went with my father-in-law to his "local", the Commercial in Larbert, for a couple of pints and to watch the football. There were loads of folk in there who were openly racist, homophobic and sexist.

I haven't been back. That was the first time I'd experienced anything like that in years.

Yesterday, a man shouted white power slogans in a Tesco car park in Slough and slashed a Bulgarian man.

The day before, a man originally from Afghanistan went on a stabbing spree two days ago in London wanting to 'kill English people'.

I would guess that this kind of hate crime is certainly much more common in England than here even after taking into account the differing sizes of the populations. 

A quick look at where the BNP had support when it peaked in the late 2000s would suggest otherwise. 

This is for the 2010 election is the constituancies the BNP got above 8% of the vote. 

Constituency Candidate Votes %
Barking Nick Griffin 6,620 14.6
Dagenham and Rainham Michael Barnbrook 4,952 11.2
Rotherham Marlene Guest 3,906 10.4
Stoke-on-Trent South Michael Coleman 3,762 9.4
West Bromwich West Russ Green 3,394 9.4
Burnley Sharon Wilkinson 3,747 9.0
Barnsley Central Ian Sutton 3,307 8.9
Barnsley East Colin Porter 3,301 8.6
Normanton, Pontefract and Castleford Graham Thewlis-Hardy 3,864 8.4
Leeds Central Kevin Meeson 3,066 8.2
Walsall North Christopher Woodall 2,930 8.1
Stoke-on-Trent North Melanie Baddeley 3,196 8.0

There highest Scottish seat I could find was 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_North_East_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

at 2.7%

Now we can all agree that Scotland should be improving the way we engage with people from non "European" ethnicities and ensuring they feel as Scottish as us. But how does this level of exaggeration help people engage with that?

48 minutes ago, Gaz said:

A few years ago I went with my father-in-law to his "local", the Commercial in Larbert, for a couple of pints and to watch the football. There were loads of folk in there who were openly racist, homophobic and sexist.

I haven't been back. That was the first time I'd experienced anything like that in years.

Been there after a game at Ochilview. For some reason they weren't interested in discussing the Stenhousemuir East Fife game that afternoon...

My experience of race relations int his country is what has led me to often try and make the distinction between outright racism, and unacceptable use of racist language. I don't think there is any real roots of genuine racism to speak of in Scotland. If there were, they would precipitate into high profile movements/events/marches etc where people air their unsavoury views, like how it happens in England (if you want to compare the two countries) 

But I hadn't seen a black person in the flesh till I was probably older than 10. In my primary school it was, from 1 to 7 throughout my time there, exclusively white Scots. At my high school from S1 to S5 when I left, there were never more than 4 pupils of colour. People in Scotland haven't had the exposure to other cultures etc and as such, the ignorance factor of whats acceptable is much higher IMO. Thats where I feel its an education issue and a "just getting used to it" issue in a lot of cases. That said, of course we will have loads of actual racists here, and we have plenty other stuff to be ashamed of including our issues with religious sectarianism. 

Homophobic language mentioned above, I think we are further behind there tbh, given the amount of folk I hear speak on the subject who kick off with "I've got no problem with folk being gay, but......"

52 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

But I hadn't seen a black person in the flesh till I was probably older than 10. In my primary school it was, from 1 to 7 throughout my time there, exclusively white Scots. At my high school from S1 to S5 when I left, there were never more than 4 pupils of colour. People in Scotland haven't had the exposure to other cultures etc and as such, the ignorance factor of whats acceptable is much higher IMO. Thats where I feel its an education issue and a "just getting used to it" issue in a lot of cases. That said, of course we will have loads of actual racists here, and we have plenty other stuff to be ashamed of including our issues with religious sectarianism. 

I can't remember it, but my Mum has told me when I was 5 that we went to France, and the first time I saw a black person I was in shock. Like you, throughout school, the majority of pupils were white Scots. 

My Dad used to take me to watch Junior football, and I can still remember racial slurs from older (60 & above) guys. Something that has stuck with me for a long time. Things like a player should be able to run fast because he was black.

It is possibly a generation thing, youngsters these days seem on the whole to be a lot more accepting of race / religion / sexuality. 

8 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

I can't remember it, but my Mum has told me when I was 5 that we went to France, and the first time I saw a black person I was in shock. Like you, throughout school, the majority of pupils were white Scots. 

My Dad used to take me to watch Junior football, and I can still remember racial slurs from older (60 & above) guys. Something that has stuck with me for a long time. Things like a player should be able to run fast because he was black.

It is possibly a generation thing, youngsters these days seem on the whole to be a lot more accepting of race / religion / sexuality. 

I think it is. Thats not to excuse ANYONE who thinks another person is inferior based on race. But the vocabulary of the older generation wont change. It will die with them but it wont change. Prince Harrys recent stuff about unconsciousness bias did a better job of exploring it than I can. For me though, there are nuances to this that are often lost in a haze of labelling. 

5 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I work with somedy who regularly asks people that aren’t white where they’re from and then follows up with “no where are you *from*” when they say like Pollokshields.

Stranger: Where are you from?

Me: London.

Stranger: Aye, but where are you really from?

I had variations of this conversation about once a week for the five years I lived in Aberdeen. It gets tiring.

Being more likely to ask where someone is from ethnically doesn’t mean we are decades behind England in our attitudes to race. Let’s not forget that England are responsible for the EDL, UKIP, the BNP and Britain first who all have massive support because a good chunk of the English population believe that it’s foreigners who are to blame for their lives not being a success. The entire reason we voted to leave the EU was because English people were manipulated by a distrust of foreigners to do so as well so let’s not go putting ourselves down by saying we are decades behind England in anything race related.

Yeah, being clumsy about showing interest in someones heritage is different from telling them to f**k off back there.

Being more likely to ask where someone is from ethnically doesn’t mean we are decades behind England in our attitudes to race. Let’s not forget that England are responsible for the EDL, UKIP, the BNP and Britain first who all have massive support because a good chunk of the English population believe that it’s foreigners who are to blame for their lives not being a success. The entire reason we voted to leave the EU was because English people were manipulated by a distrust of foreigners to do so as well so let’s not go putting ourselves down by saying we are decades behind England in anything race related.