Shelley Kerr Interview - hmm.

GordonS

57 minutes ago, andrewh said:

Fair enough. Just a sense I had based on how she looks and her overall demeanour in interviews.
Big question is who would replace her?

The obvious home-grown candidates would be Eddie Wolecki Black or Scott Booth. Amy McDonald was in youth development at Glasgow and is doing well at Rangers, but it's much too soon and too big a jump for her. Other than that you're looking at men's football, or someone from outside Scotland (fine with me).

Given what she's done, I think the SFA should have talked to the players about whether they want Kerr to continue. They're the ones who have been badly treated here and it's up to them to decide if the relationship is fixable. Maybe they've already done that, who knows. Either way, this is not an easy qualifying group and missing out would be a real blow, so this needs put to bed before they take the field at the end of next week. 

12 hours ago, GordonS said:

The obvious home-grown candidates would be Eddie Wolecki Black or Scott Booth. ek. 

When they're considered viable candidates to take over it proves how utterly mental it was for people suggest putting Shelley Kerr in with the mens team. 

They were both, particularly Scott Booth, absolutely howling in the men's game. 

FWIW I don't know if Scott Booth is any good, I've not seen enough of Glasgow City in the flesh to form an opinion. The strength of that club is who's upstairs, and who was upstairs until recently. They built a club that still attracts the best talent at all ages and they train more than anyone in Scotland outside full time football, male or female. They've got a very strong culture and identity. So they could probably be managed by a manatee and still win the league every year.

On 21/08/2019 at 15:44, GordonS said:

This really isn't helping anyone at all.

She's gone.  There's clearly a player out to get her.  Rightly or wrongly, somebody with influence wants rid of her.  For what it's worth, I think she bottled the last twenty minutes against Argentina.

Almost as troubling as her drinking was the subsequent interview. If she'd come out and said, 'I got steaming.  I said daft things. I've said I'm sorry to the players,' I'd have sympathy. But the way she spoke - evasive, disingenuous, a lack of clarity - made me wonder if she talks like that in the dressing room. If so, no wonder we tanked on the world stage.

As for her replacement, the best manager available who's willing to work with and promote a largely part-time game. 

Mean not to give Kerr credit for qualifying for the WC, but we shouldn't forget how close our campaign was to disappointment. What if we hadn't squeaked through that final qualifier against Albania, and benefitted from events out our hands: Switzerland faltering away to Poland? Before that it was the unlikely Roy of the Rovers comeback against Poland which saved our campaign.

Edited by Mr Heliums

Clear the air meeting held, with Ian Maxwell attending. Fingers crossed this has laid the problems to rest. This isn't going to go away though, if we qualify then it'll raise the question of how happy the players are to return to that enivornment.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49481194 

Or to that level of incompetence. This has very little to do with an alcohol-fuelled verbal criticism.

23 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

Almost as troubling as her drinking was the subsequent interview. If she'd come out and said, 'I got steaming.  I said daft things. I've said I'm sorry to the players,' I'd have sympathy. But the way she spoke - evasive, disingenuous, a lack of clarity - made me wonder if she talks like that in the dressing room. If so, no wonder we tanked on the world stage.

As for her replacement, the best manager available who's willing to work with and promote a largely part-time game. 

Mean not to give Kerr credit for qualifying for the WC, but we shouldn't forget how close our campaign was to disappointment. What if we hadn't squeaked through that final qualifier against Albania, and benefitted from events out our hands: Switzerland faltering away to Poland? Before that it was the unlikely Roy of the Rovers comeback against Poland which saved our campaign.

Agree with the first two parts there, but not so much the second. Yeah, there were a couple of tight spots in qualifying, but they came through them and Poland away is hardly gimmie, as Switzerland discovered. And we've been on the other side of that luck/fine margins with brutally painful eliminations in play-offs, especially those games against Spain and Russia. Fact is, Switzerland were deservedly ranked above us, we beat them at home and we qualified because we were good enough to beat Poland away and they weren't. Results under Shelley Kerr have lifted us into Pot 1 and that's not to be sniffed at.

All that said, if it were up to me I'd let her go, I thought Japan were better than us but better tactics would have got us a draw, and we should never have capitulated against Argentina. Getting there was a success, but what we did in France wasn't good enough. Throw in bevvygate and the way it's been handled since and I think it's worth trying someone else.