Shelley Kerr Interview - hmm.

GordonS

Maybe all of this was common knowledge, but it came as news to me. I don't like the smell of this at all. There's no real denial that they were at least under the influence of alcohol while debriefing players in a very, very sensitive moment, which would be a jotters offence in most workplaces. It definitely sounds like she blamed the players, when even her biggest supporters (previously me) would have to say her own tactical choices were questionable in all three matches and likely contributed directly to Argentina's equaliser. And it's possibly telling that none of the players have come out to say it's been overblown or that everything is fine now.

We'll need to be at our best again to get through qualifying, and then we go to a tournament in England to try for a third time to get out of our group. We just have to hope this doesn't become an ongoing problem.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49363291 

24 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Maybe all of this was common knowledge, but it came as news to me. I don't like the smell of this at all. There's no real denial that they were at least under the influence of alcohol while debriefing players in a very, very sensitive moment, which would be a jotters offence in most workplaces. It definitely sounds like she blamed the players, when even her biggest supporters (previously me) would have to say her own tactical choices were questionable in all three matches and likely contributed directly to Argentina's equaliser. And it's possibly telling that none of the players have come out to say it's been overblown or that everything is fine now.

We'll need to be at our best again to get through qualifying, and then we go to a tournament in England to try for a third time to get out of our group. We just have to hope this doesn't become an ongoing problem.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49363291 

I don't think many of the players would have been "considering their Scotland futures" as the BBC article says. The vibe I get is that the girls are quite close as a group, and that they enjoy playing international football - and the boost it's giving their careers. 

Shelley Kerr doesn't look particularly clever at the moment though. There were a number of tactical issues during the world cup that suggested she perhaps wasn't as good a coach as she herself believes, and it's never a smart move to conduct any sort of team meeting whilst under the influence. Perhaps her honesty will save her if she shows the players enough contrition. 

24 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Shelley Kerr doesn't look particularly clever at the moment though. There were a number of tactical issues during the world cup that suggested she perhaps wasn't as good a coach as she herself believes

The final 15 minutes against Argentina made Lennon's tactics on Tuesday night look like a tactical masterclass.

What a joke that some on here thought she should be involved with the men's team.

The final 15 minutes against Argentina made Lennon's tactics on Tuesday night look like a tactical masterclass.
What a joke that some on here thought she should be involved with the men's team.

And I'm sure you're saying that having watched all the qualifying games.

She's done an excellent job in increasing the professionalism of the whole outfit, improving technical standards and getting the players to have belief. They were really well set up away in Poland, which is how they pulled back a 2 goal deficit to win. They beat a technically superior Switzerland through control of midfield and keeping Dickermann quiet. It was bad, but she shouldn't be judged on 15 minutes.

This is completely unacceptable at any level of the game. 

Dare I say that had this been the men's game there would already have been repurcussions for this, and probably severe ones. Possibly a lack of media intrigue here prevented it. 

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

Dare I say that had this been the men's game there would already have been repurcussions for this, and probably severe ones. Possibly a lack of media intrigue here prevented it. 

One of the reasons given (or leaked via Keith Jackson) for McLeish's departure was a "deeply troubling incident" in a team meeting during the Kazakhstan/San Marino double header.

5 hours ago, GordonS said:

She's done an excellent job in increasing the professionalism of the whole outfit

Very professional I agree.

SHELLEY KERR admits she ‘had a few drinks’ before an explosive team meeting that left Scotland stars in tears.

5 hours ago, Michael W said:

I think increased media focus would probably have led to this coming out sooner - but when you read ex-pros accounts of things that have gone on in dressing rooms that were kept secret, it's not a given that something like this would have leaked at all.

It depends how bad it really was, I just didn't find Shelley's answers very convincing.

I always thought she had a hard face and imagined her as a bit of a bully. On top of her tactical naivety, qualifiers aside, this should be enough to see her removed. Doubtless@GordonS will disagree but that’s my perception, rightly or wrongly.

I always thought she had a hard face and imagined her as a bit of a bully. On top of her tactical naivety, qualifiers aside, this should be enough to see her removed. Doubtless[mention=66443]GordonS[/mention] will disagree but that’s my perception, rightly or wrongly.
I think judging someone for their face is daft, and she just looks like a strong working class Scottish woman to me.

But I don't disagree otherwise, it'd be a shame if it ended like this but there would be no complaints from me.

I think judging someone for their face is daft, and she just looks like a strong working class Scottish woman to me.

But I don't disagree otherwise, it'd be a shame if it ended like this but there would be no complaints from me.

Fair enough. Just a sense I had based on how she looks and her overall demeanour in interviews.
Big question is who would replace her?