Peterhead v Dumbarton

44 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Wait no longer...Also big ups to both Jim's being out the dressing room within 15 minutes. About time I got away earlyish!

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/peterhead-2-3-dumbarton-laynes-18955144

WtF was Layne doing testing Brennan? Bad enough defending against the opposition! 😳😂

Embarrassing that, no fight at all. The amount of times under Mcinally, especially in recent seasons, where we have bottled from a winning position is unbelievable. Whenever we score we just seem to drop deep and let the opposition batter us. Fear for us this season if we continue at that standard

Another abject display and, as I posted earlier, McInally devoid of tactics and reliant on the old guard to somehow pull them through. Well, found out again. JM is out of his depth and this is only League 1.
Lyle gets injured. Armour is suited & booted and ready to take his place but no, JM let’s play continue for 7 minutes while Rory gets out of his lounge suit, finds a shirt and a pair of boots and wanders on to do the sun total of nothing. How unprofessional is that?
I said expect the unexpected. I was right. Scunnered!

After being completely dominated by Mick Dunlop in the first half, Layne looked a different proposition in the second. The back four is definitely an area that needs a lot more work and strengthening. Crossan was excellent and Scullion on the right, was better than I expected. A very nice playing surface too at Balmoor.

We had a dual purpose trip visiting friends in Aberdeen and arranged it a couple of weeks ago. At 2-0 I was thinking that my pre- match dread of how it might turn out was playing out before my eyes. The first Sons goal showed that they hadn’t given up with Langan finishing off good work from Crossan.

Much was made (by the fans) of the fact that the players didn’t really celebrate the goal. However, it put us on the ascendancy from the start of the 2nd half and we were the better side for that 45 mins. Layne looked better with better service and Crossan looked to be Sons MOM, quite apart from his superb equaliser. Brennan wasn’t great and not blameless for the Peterhead goals. However he kept us in the game after that on a couple of occasions. Hutton looked to be carrying a knock but was ok. I really want Lewis Crawford to do well but felt that he struggled a wee bit. Quitongo looked like James Tavernier (am I taking this too far?) as he surged forward with a couple of runs, both of which he ran out for goal kicks. If he could just have checked and crossed, they might have delivered something.

I know it is only one game but on the evidence of yesterday’s second half, comparisons with the Jim Fallon and Gerry McCabe eras are off beam. I say this with the caveat that I appreciate I have missed some miserable performances.

They may not have celebrated the first goal but the players left us in no doubt about their passion at the two other goals and at full time when they applauded the fans.

It’s a start.

Let's be honest. Nobody saw that coming when we were 2-0 down. 

The performance from the moment Jason Brown squeezed the ball beyond Conor Brennan was such an improvement it was bizarre. We looked a different team; Duffy spoke about a change in formation, and we certainly had a lot more width. I spent the second-half behind the goal so couldn't see for sure, but it looked a bit like we switched to a 4-1-4-1 with Hutton protecting, Langan and McKee in front of him, Scullion and Crossan flying down the wings and Layne leading the line. The difference was incredible.

I'll start with the negatives though. Defensively we're still suspect, there's no doubt about it. The distribution from our back four is absolutely woeful at times, although having Hutton in front of them to take the ball from them made a big difference. I also thought big Morgyn Neill had a decent game, and it was nice to see him celebrating like a madman at the final whistle.

But that wasn't a performance where you focus on the negatives, so I'll talk about all the good stuff. And there was loads, even if Peterhead probably aren't the toughest opponents we'll face.

PJ Crossan was the biggest plus. He was absolutely unplayable, and poor Jason Brown no doubt had nightmares about him last night. He made setting up the first goal look so, so easy, skipping beyond a challenge and knocking it back for Langan like he was in training. We know how gifted a player he is, it's just his final ball that lets him down, but yesterday his final ball was spot on, his goal was lovely and only an excellent Greg Fleming denied Ryan Tierney a carbon copy of the first goal after he again skipped down the wing.

Big Isaac Layne was bizarre. In the first-half he was absolutely awful. He kind of jogged about, and sometimes tried to jump only to be totally dominated by Mick Dunlop in the air. Fast-forward to the 42nd minute and his lay off started the move that lead to the second goal. And suddenly he looked a different player.

He was holding play up really well, driving with the ball, winning flick-ons, making decent runs and won the foul from which he nodded in the winner. Duffy was quick to highlight post-match how little football he's played, but if he can get him replicating that performance consistently then we might just have an unexpected player on our hands.

Crossan and Layne will be the headline grabbers, but there were a few other notable performances. Joe McKee buzzed about always looking for a ball, kept his passing very tidy and grabbed a couple of assists. As soon as he was released from that narrow midfield three he looked a totally different player. The same goes for Ruaridh Langan. I thought he had something about him the first time I saw him, but he was clearly uncomfortable on the right in the 4-3-3. Given a bit more space he looked good today, breaking up play, bouncing quick wee passes about and charging forward. His goal was a really good finish too. Especially from a more defensively minded midfielder.

Conor Scullion probably deserves a mention too. There's no doubt he's lightweight, but he doesn't hide, is always looking to run with the ball and seems to have that wee bit of confidence you need from a winger. His workrate was excellent and he matched Paddy Boyle going forwards pretty much all game.

Does one result change how I feel about things? Nope. Not really. But it's a huge confidence boost for the players, especially given the circumstances, and there were undoubtedly plenty of signs that we'll be able to compete with the other part-time sides. This time last week I didn't feel like that would be the case.

GoalCam is now up by the way.

Let's be honest. Nobody saw that coming when we were 2-0 down. 
The performance from the moment Jason Brown squeezed the ball beyond Conor Brennan was such an improvement it was bizarre. We looked a different team; Duffy spoke about a change in formation, and we certainly had a lot more width. I spent the second-half behind the goal so couldn't see for sure, but it looked a bit like we switched to a 4-1-4-1 with Hutton protecting, Langan and McKee in front of him, Scullion and Crossan flying down the wings and Layne leading the line. The difference was incredible.
I'll start with the negatives though. Defensively we're still suspect, there's no doubt about it. The distribution from our back four is absolutely woeful at times, although having Hutton in front of them to take the ball from them made a big difference. I also thought big Morgyn Neill had a decent game, and it was nice to see him celebrating like a madman at the final whistle.
But that wasn't a performance where you focus on the negatives, so I'll talk about all the good stuff. And there was loads, even if Peterhead probably aren't the toughest opponents we'll face.
PJ Crossan was the biggest plus. He was absolutely unplayable, and poor Jason Brown no doubt had nightmares about him last night. He made setting up the first goal look so, so easy, skipping beyond a challenge and knocking it back for Langan like he was in training. We know how gifted a player he is, it's just his final ball that lets him down, but yesterday his final ball was spot on, his goal was lovely and only an excellent Greg Fleming denied Ryan Tierney a carbon copy of the first goal after he again skipped down the wing.
Big Isaac Layne was bizarre. In the first-half he was absolutely awful. He kind of jogged about, and sometimes tried to jump only to be totally dominated by Mick Dunlop in the air. Fast-forward to the 42nd minute and his lay off started the move that lead to the second goal. And suddenly he looked a different player.
He was holding play up really well, driving with the ball, winning flick-ons, making decent runs and won the foul from which he nodded in the winner. Duffy was quick to highlight post-match how little football he's played, but if he can get him replicating that performance consistently then we might just have an unexpected player on our hands.
Crossan and Layne will be the headline grabbers, but there were a few other notable performances. Joe McKee buzzed about always looking for a ball, kept his passing very tidy and grabbed a couple of assists. As soon as he was released from that narrow midfield three he looked a totally different player. The same goes for Ruaridh Langan. I thought he had something about him the first time I saw him, but he was clearly uncomfortable on the right in the 4-3-3. Given a bit more space he looked good today, breaking up play, bouncing quick wee passes about and charging forward. His goal was a really good finish too. Especially from a more defensively minded midfielder.
Conor Scullion probably deserves a mention too. There's no doubt he's lightweight, but he doesn't hide, is always looking to run with the ball and seems to have that wee bit of confidence you need from a winger. His workrate was excellent and he matched Paddy Boyle going forwards pretty much all game.
Does one result change how I feel about things? Nope. Not really. But it's a huge confidence boost for the players, especially given the circumstances, and there were undoubtedly plenty of signs that we'll be able to compete with the other part-time sides. This time last week I didn't feel like that would be the case.
GoalCam is now up by the way.

Hugely unsurprising to hear that when we switched up the formation we started to look like a competent football team. Hopefully that will be the 433 variation binned for eternity.

I don't think there is a single player in our team that was suited to it.

Cracking day out yesterday up at Balmoor. Good wee setup they have up there, social club was very welcoming.

As most sons fans have already said after we went two nil down I feared the worst for us, however Langan’s goal definitely gave us a lift and some hope. I’d only seen him play once prior to today at Morton away and the less said about that the better but today I thought he played well and took his goal brilliantly. The second half it was clear we were the side that had more desire and PJ crossan who was a stand out was turning Brown inside out. Well done to big Isaac too who provided some Nadeesque link up play and had a great second half like most of the team. No point in getting too carried away with that because peterhead were absolutely hoaching however we need to take that as a massive confidence boost for our young squad and push on.

Glad the Sons fans that came up enjoyed their day, I spoke to a few before the game & unlike some visiting supports there was no moaning about how far it was up to Peterhead & although not a huge following thought it was better than many other teams, also seemed to be wee pockets of their supporters spread over the ground with as far as I could see everyone mixing fine,  The game best forgotten from our point of view. 

Not fussed at all about the players not celebrating the first goal. They were still 2-1 down with work to do. No complaints from me and I’d argue it showed a more professional attitude.

I really wasn’t expecting much from the game and would have settled for a point before kick-off; so to win in those circumstances is really pleasing.

Interested to hear that we changed formation. I’m not alone I’m thinking the previous 4-3-3 wasn’t working so maybe Duffy has now seen that and altered it for the better. If he has, fair do’s. Will be interested to see how we set up next Saturday.

Layne was far too isolated in the first half and as a result he was getting nowhere near passes or clearances, so Peterhead were able to control the game

Getting one back just before half time was critical as it allowed us to regroup but with hope for the second half

Once we got scullion, McKee and crossan closer to Layne we were much improved and probably could have scored at least one more

Great set up at Peterhead and made to feel welcome

The win definitely made the journey worthwhile

52 minutes ago, aftershocker said:

Layne was far too isolated in the first half and as a result he was getting nowhere near passes or clearances, so Peterhead were able to control the game

Getting one back just before half time was critical as it allowed us to regroup but with hope for the second half

Once we got scullion, McKee and crossan closer to Layne we were much improved and probably could have scored at least one more

Great set up at Peterhead and made to feel welcome

The win definitely made the journey worthwhile

Glad you felt welcomed.  That is how it's supposed to be. 

I remember an old fella, an East Stirligshire supporter I spoke to after a Scottish cup tie where Peterhead beat them 1-0. (They should have beaten us easily)

He said ' If you cant come to a game in friendship, you must leave in friendship, regardless of the score'.

Stuck with me.