Elgin City -vs- Stenhousemuir

Great win for the warriors didn’t see us taking anything today given our recent record at BB.  Apart from the last 10 mins when you expect an onslaught thought we were comfortable throughout and 1-0 flattered Elgin.  Great to see is playing on a good surface and playing the ball about.  

Edited by Tonystenny

We were very poor today. We’ve coped well with some key players missing so far but they were missed big time today. Stenny were very comfortable looking like they wanted it more TBH. Bit of a reality check after a fine start but this league looks really tight and think a lot of teams will take points off each other so far from a disaster!

We are badly needing a couple of the injured players back, especially Soapy. We are missing his drive from midfield. Also the partnership he has with Shane is very good.

Think Stenny will be well up there this season competing for the play offs as I hope we will be aswell. Could be very tight up there with mabye Cove running away with the title.

I thought we deserved the win today. We had the better of the play, fashioned a couple of decent chances and looked comfortable throughout (bar a nervy spell towards the end when Elgin City probably should have scored when they fired two good crosses into the box). We played some decent football at times too - after the dreadful showing at Hampden last weekend, we've shown in our last two games we can knock the ball around to good effect.

Andy Munro was the man of the match - he scored the winning goal and kept Elgin at bay - but everyone was pretty decent. David Marsh and Scott McLaughlin both did fine alongside the captain, Alan Cook chucked in some decent balls, Jamie McKernon looks a lot more comfortable in a midfield three and Mark McGuigan led the line well.

I still don't full trust Kieran Gibbons and whenever he gets booked, I always worry it's going to be followed by a red card shortly afterwards. He was cautioned after about six minutes for jumping into someone and walked a fine like for the rest of the game. Kieran Anderson didn't do too much before his substitution and couldn't really influence play. God forbid anything ever happens to McGuigan because we'd be lost without him.

Bring on Edinburgh City!

Don't think that anybody can argue with Stenny taking the points yesterday. They seemed an organised & strong outfit, with plenty of players that are comfortable on the ball, & accordingly passed it well. Whilst the match stats show Elgin with more possession, the attempts on goal by Stenny were more than double Elgin's so they were clearly more purposeful & effective with their share.

Elgin didn't help themselves, with as at Tuesday's game at Brechin, way too much long ball being hoofed from the 'keeper & backline, which was meat & drink to the Stenny cente backs. Elgin arguably had the more 'flair' players, but if you don't get the ball on the deck & give opportunity for that to be effective, then there will be no benefit from it. Shane & Kane were also on an off day in their link-up play when they did get it to feet.

Overall Elgin struggled for any meaningful periods of possession, lacked patience in working / using the ball, with no switch of play, & little use of width (with the latter being the case in all games so far this season), so relatively easy for Stenny to manage. Don't think it was until the last 10 minute or so when pushing for the equaliser, & Gavin did tell the fullbacks to push on, that any opportunity was fashioned to get behind the Stenny backline for a cross & a pull-back, each of which just needed a finish to be applied.

On a final note from the game, commiserations to young Daniel Mackay after his ankle break. The poor lad is just back after a long injury lay-off, & this will of course be another, so just hope that his career doesn't turn to be one of those of a promising young player that is blighted by injury. Best wishes for a good & speedy recovery Daniel.

Yeah hope it’s a straight forward break and he can get back ASAP  and have an injury free run. He deserves a bit of luck. 

As for the long ball from the GK I think the idea is to try and break quickly utilising our pace up front then pressing early and high. Worked well enough in early games but can’t do it all the time.

1 minute ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Yeah hope it’s a straight forward break and he can get back ASAP  and have an injury free run. He deserves a bit of luck. 

As for the long ball from the GK I think the idea is to try and break quickly utilising our pace up front then pressing early and high. Worked well enough in early games but can’t do it all the time.

It's absolutely fine as a tactic when the opposition is sucked forward after their own attack, & indeed McHale could easily have had a couple of assists earlier in the season, but doing it pretty much all the time - from hand or ground - when they are back & set up defensively, & also with the wind against (as in the first half) isn't! It just gives the ball away when in possession, with only a 50% chance of getting it back, & less so when kicking to dominant centre backs, & sides that have strong midfelders that pick up the second ball, which Stenny did more than us yesterday. It's got to be used as a tactic at the right time - when a keeper can kick 70 yards it's definitely a weapon - & not as a 'nobody is showing short so lets kick it long' standard approach.

If that's one of the more fancied and free scoring sides of the division there is hope for us yet. This league really is absolutely brutal.

Was a stroll in the park I can't remember Smith having a save to make. Back three had cigars oot for the most part.

Lovely day out and I wish Elgin well for the rest of the season there a decent wee club.

If that's one of the more fancied and free scoring sides of the division there is hope for us yet. This league really is absolutely brutal.
Was a stroll in the park I can't remember Smith having a save to make. Back three had cigars oot for the most part.
Lovely day out and I wish Elgin well for the rest of the season there a decent wee club.
Smith had one or two balls he had to come out and collect but apart from that he made no saves

Watched by Elgin City's highlights package and it's really bad! It looks like it's been shot on an old camera phone and it missed out a number of key moments in the match; if you watched them and nothing else, you'd think Elgin dominated the match. Rubbish.

30 minutes ago, Thom & Gerry said:

It’s a new lad doing it this season and obviously his camera isn’t of the same quality of the previous one used. The girl who did it previously has been poached by Rangers!

I get what your saying but it is our highlights and really not interested in yours!

Don't start circling the wagons, "Thom & Gerry". That helps no-one.

I'm not surprised Louise Shaw was taken on by a full-time club, her highlights packages were always excellent. I hope she does well at Rangers.

3 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Watched by Elgin City's highlights package and it's really bad! It looks like it's been shot on an old camera phone and it missed out a number of key moments in the match; if you watched them and nothing else, you'd think Elgin dominated the match. Rubbish.

If the lad can put highlights together that make it look like Elgin dominated that match then he’ll be getting poached by Spielberg!