Sacked Because Dog Died

A Glasgow woman has called for bereavement leave when a pet dies.  18 year old Emma McNulty claims she was fired from her job after being unable to attend work due to grief following the death of her terrier Millie.  Ms Mcnulty asked for time off from the sandwich shop where she worked but was told to find cover or face dismissal.  As she couldn't find cover, she was sacked.

Here is a photograph of Millie

Millie

Following her experience, Ms McNulty started a petition calling for bereavement leave when a pet dies.  The law currently allows for reasonable time off to deal with the death of a dependant, a definition which doesn't include pets.

Do P&Bers think you should get time off if your pet dies?

Have any P&Bers ever taken time off work following the death of a pet, perhaps in a house fire?

1 minute ago, Shandon Par said:

I used to work with a girl who kept photos of her late labs on her desk and she would visit a medium to talk/bark with the dogs in the afterlife. 

Man/woman up and go to work. 

Any photos of her Spaniel's ears?

10 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

They should have put the dog on that day’s specials board.

We're going to have a falling out Shandon 🤨

For what its worth I think you should be allowed some time out to grieve after a pet dies, I was more upset when my last dog died than when my gran died.