NCAA Football 2019

lichtie23

It hasn't been the best season this year given the lack of upsets or intrigue. It feels like the gap between the top 3 and everyone else is bigger than it has been since I started watching it.

The playoff should be incredible though - any of the top 3 could win it and I think the Clemson-Ohio State game then the final will be classics. No idea who to pick between the top 3.

The more I watch it, the more I think the 4 team playoff ruins the game a bit. It is such an illogical number and it puts a dampener on good stories. Oregon bouncing back from losing to Arizona State to win the Pac-12 is a great story but it all got framed in the lens of the Pac-12 being shut out of the playoff.

They should go to an 8 team playoff - the 5 Power 5 winners, a Group of 5 school and 2 'at large'. Get the playoff committee to seed those 8 teams and select the final 3. It would add more meaning to the conference championships again and makes the methodology for teams getting in more transparent. No chance in the short term though when the bowl games and the money involved rule everything.

I am generally a huge fan of college football but cannot care about the bowl games. Looking forward to the playoffs though.
I say it every season that whilst I'm glad there is a playoff system in place now I'd rather see an expanded & fully fleged playoff system that the bowl games could be integrated into to keep them around & the sponsors happy.