Airdrieonians vs. Clyde

Tale of 2 half's to be fair.
Clyde were "OK" in the first half without being any good, we were dire, Roberts couldn't kick his own arse and the highlight being Crightons mad mazy run.
2nd half was a different story, we were absolutely pounding Clyde down that right with Thomson just waiting through.
That 2nd goal, Gallagher was involved in.
And that third goal was unreal, absolutely top drawer from seagal and I Cannot wait to see it again.
If Clyde can't lift their game any higher than that they offered at any point today then you've got to think its a long season for them.

I said at half time if Airdrie kept that possession up they'd eventually score. As it turned out, they didn't dominate possession as much in the second half but played far better and cut us open whenever they went forward.

Our defence went from okay, scrambling defence in the first half, to complete shambles by the end.

The final goal kind of summed it up, with McNiff trying to wrestle the shirt off the Airdrie player, while Gallagher actually focused on playing the ball and produced a stunning goal.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

Got off to a great start with Goodwillie's goal and competed well in the first half without creating much. Mitchell didn't have a save to make in the Clyde goal although there was a few shaky moments from the defence.

Second half was a shambles from us. Early goal for Airdrie no surprise from our left hand side. No idea what Lennon was thinking in taking of Cuddihy for Howie and he was at fault for the second. Cracking overhead kick finish for the 3rd.

Got off to a great start with Goodwillie's goal and competed well in the first half without creating much. Mitchell didn't have a save to make in the Clyde goal although there was a few shaky moments from the defence.

Second half was a shambles from us. Early goal for Airdrie no surprise from our left hand side. No idea what Lennon was thinking in taking of Cuddihy for Howie and he was at fault for the second. Cracking overhead kick finish for the 3rd.

Bad day when you get controlled by the big Skip [emoji815]️

9 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

And that third goal was unreal, absolutely top drawer from seagal and I Cannot wait to see it again.

If Clyde can't lift their game any higher than that they offered at any point today then you've got to think its a long season for them.

Was a great 3rd goal.

It’ll absolutely be a long season for us barring any quality additions at the back (highly unlikely). Any goodwill from promotion has faded. What’s annoying me, out-with our absolutely stinking defence, is we have totally changed our style of play from the way we played last season too. I appreciate the step up but we’re contributing to our own downfall here, we’re far too passive when other teams are on the ball and when we have the ball, we’ve no movement in between the oppositions midfield and defence. Our fans have commented that we’re good going forwards but we’re beyond one dimensional at the moment. We’re so short of spark or pace that the likes of Ross Lyon are starting to look exciting to watch despite any real quality with the final product. Syvertsen and Rankin coming back may help this but that’s very much a wait and see.

I sound like a broken record going on about the defence but they are so far out their depth it’s unbelievable. Cuddihy is the only one who I would say looks remotely competent at this level. Petkov would be as well getting sent back to Hearts as he’s not even close to being as strong, quick or aggressive enough to be what we need. Howie isn’t up to this level and McNiff’s struggle has, of course, been well documented. To defend him slightly, Wallace has done a pretty rotten job in supporting him in each and every second half I’ve seen them both line up on the left. I’ll reserve judgement on Allison as I’ve never actually seen him but by all accounts, he’s not going to be the answer.

On today, we got off to a great start with Goodwillie’s early opener after our only real bit of attacking quality we demonstrated all game. From there, we huffed and puffed and had the occasional nice passage of play with little end product. At half-time I thought if we could hold out for a while we may get a draw. Instead, we conceded two minutes into the half with a low cross in from McNiff’s side and once Thomson realised that he was allowed to run at our defence we were always going to be in trouble. Goodwillie worked his socks off today and gave Crighton and Fordyce a tough battle but during our forays forward we were too indecisive in possession and ultimately wasteful. Then came the calamitous substitutions, Cuddihy may have been tired but Lennon’s insistence on playing centre halves at full back came back to haunt us again with Thomson giving Howie a torrid time during the fifteen or so minutes he was on the park which led to the second goal. Lamont was having a very good game indeed and taking him off allowed Airdrie to completely dominate the midfield. Likewise, Johnson was by far and away, our best attacking outlet and removing him for Love was another poor choice.

All of the above, coupled up with Dumbarton and Stranraer winning really made it a terrible day for us. Bottom of the league and I’m struggling to be optimistic about us getting off of it at present. Early days yes, but the problems have been apparent since pre-season and they have not been addressed. The budget is gone and therefore, players will need to go out for others to come in. A right, royal mess.

A final note on the fans winding up the angry man Hutton. It’s all ‘banter’ and I’ve no problem with it being dished out, to a point, but for some to erupt into seething messes as soon as he gave it back after the late goals is tinpot behaviour.

What a fucking mess. How the f**k can an experienced manager who knows what he is doing have failed to address that shambles at the back. Why are we wasting a wage on petkov, get him to f**k and spend it on a left back FFS.

See howie is getting pelters too but to be fair to the guy he is not a RB and has looked decent at times when played at CB, unfortunately for him he has stepped into an utter cluster f**k around him which can’t make settling in very easy.

We look a shadow of the team that won promotion and the blame for that lies at the managers door imo.

2 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

What a fucking mess. How the f**k can an experienced manager who knows what he is doing have failed to address that shambles at the back. Why are we wasting a wage on petkov, get him to f**k and spend it on a left back FFS.

See howie is getting pelters too but to be fair to the guy he is not a RB and has looked decent at times when played at CB, unfortunately for him he has stepped into an utter cluster f**k around him which can’t make settling in very easy.

We look a shadow of the team that won promotion and the blame for that lies at the managers door imo.

We might not be spending money on Petkov though but, yes it’s hard to know where we could offload players to at this stage and charge wages to clubs  taking them on loan, so we can free up wages,  especially as Prem clubs are starting to offload now.

I have a good feeling this will be a positive week for us somehow and the defence may look better by next Saturday. 

It will be a tight league by the looks of it and we’re not down and out yet.

Lovely 3rd goal from Gallagher: No complaints from me about the result. Two soft goals conceded again and poor going forward today with the exception Goodwillie.

Falkirk at home next, another tough game though at least it's at Broadwood.

20 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:

Was a great 3rd goal.

It’ll absolutely be a long season for us barring any quality additions at the back (highly unlikely). Any goodwill from promotion has faded. What’s annoying me, out-with our absolutely stinking defence, is we have totally changed our style of play from the way we played last season too. I appreciate the step up but we’re contributing to our own downfall here, we’re far too passive when other teams are on the ball and when we have the ball, we’ve no movement in between the oppositions midfield and defence. Our fans have commented that we’re good going forwards but we’re beyond one dimensional at the moment. We’re so short of spark or pace that the likes of Ross Lyon are starting to look exciting to watch despite any real quality with the final product. Syvertsen and Rankin coming back may help this but that’s very much a wait and see.

I sound like a broken record going on about the defence but they are so far out their depth it’s unbelievable. Cuddihy is the only one who I would say looks remotely competent at this level. Petkov would be as well getting sent back to Hearts as he’s not even close to being as strong, quick or aggressive enough to be what we need. Howie isn’t up to this level and McNiff’s struggle has, of course, been well documented. To defend him slightly, Wallace has done a pretty rotten job in supporting him in each and every second half I’ve seen them both line up on the left. I’ll reserve judgement on Allison as I’ve never actually seen him but by all accounts, he’s not going to be the answer.

On today, we got off to a great start with Goodwillie’s early opener after our only real bit of attacking quality we demonstrated all game. From there, we huffed and puffed and had the occasional nice passage of play with little end product. At half-time I thought if we could hold out for a while we may get a draw. Instead, we conceded two minutes into the half with a low cross in from McNiff’s side and once Thomson realised that he was allowed to run at our defence we were always going to be in trouble. Goodwillie worked his socks off today and gave Crighton and Fordyce a tough battle but during our forays forward we were too indecisive in possession and ultimately wasteful. Then came the calamitous substitutions, Cuddihy may have been tired but Lennon’s insistence on playing centre halves at full back came back to haunt us again with Thomson giving Howie a torrid time during the fifteen or so minutes he was on the park which led to the second goal. Lamont was having a very good game indeed and taking him off allowed Airdrie to completely dominate the midfield. Likewise, Johnson was by far and away, our best attacking outlet and removing him for Love was another poor choice.

All of the above, coupled up with Dumbarton and Stranraer winning really made it a terrible day for us. Bottom of the league and I’m struggling to be optimistic about us getting off of it at present. Early days yes, but the problems have been apparent since pre-season and they have not been addressed. The budget is gone and therefore, players will need to go out for others to come in. A right, royal mess.

A final note on the fans winding up the angry man Hutton. It’s all ‘banter’ and I’ve no problem with it being dished out, to a point, but for some to erupt into seething messes as soon as he gave it back after the late goals is tinpot behaviour.

Sadly I wasn’t there- but this comes over as a very balanced and fair summary of today- very objective too and let’s hipe we can somehow get this sorted at the back- we’ll struggle even with Goodie and Cuddihy fitter and Norway back on the scene if we don’t fix the defence. With a better keeper we are still losing goals far too often.

A centre back we can trust and a left back from a prem club please and things will get better. 

1. Let's bin the idea that we've got a good midfield/attack. If we ignore the shooty-in against a boy's club side in midweek, we've had 23 shots on target in 7 games. Seven of those were against Hamilton. Two of them are penalties. When you need to average around 3 shots on target to score a goal, then that's diabolical. Our lack of anything approaching a burst of pace is costing us hugely.

2. McNiff will take stick (and not signing a left-back is verging on the worst decision I've ever seen) but the rest of the back four were worse today. Petkov looks like he used to be a midfielder, and we can't afford to be Heart's experiment. Cuddihy is playing like he's expecting his hamstring to go at any moment, really poor one-to-one today. Rumsby is literally always on his heels and is nowhere near good enough for this level. Two goals scored from free runs, right bang in the middle of the box; that's not acceptable at any level; it'll need video to see if it's the midfield or centre halves to blame.

3. Allison was back-up left-back to Drew Ramsay (!) in the lowland league, more of a midfielder by trade. He's a desperate signing on the level of Andrew Traub or Craig Potter. 

4. Goodwillie worked hard. Lamont had a good first half but Airdrie's change to a 352 when Eckersley went off injured meant we lost an advantage in the centre of the park. Grant is the first ever defensive midfielder who has to cover for his centre halves.

5. The substitutions. I can almost accept McStay replacing Lamont who was dead on his feet, but Love can't play centrally, and then Howie being brought on at right back to face up to Airdrie's most dangerous player? Won't ever get an explanation for that one.

5. It's frightening how quickly the good feeling around the club can vanish, whether it's a previous chairman's halo slipping, financial silliness, or a summer of signing ghosts and plodders from Annan. Goodwillie and Grant are so far ahead of the rest of them; they must be absolutely fuming. Almost as much as our supporters are.

6. Mitchell's kicking verges from superb (a couple of long balls through to Goodwillie), to frightening (passing straight to an asleep Airdrie player with the goal empty). He's a better 'keeper than Currie, but he's one of the reasons why we're playing garbage football.

7. Airdrie's third goal was a cracker. Frustratingly got back into the match just by putting in more effort than we did at the start of the second half. They're much better than us across the back, and out wide. Can't see them getting anywhere near top spot though.

Airdrie were flat in the first half and the absence of a substitution at half time was a concern, but things were turned round in the end.

Thomson was superb in the second period and take a bow Callum Gallgher for the sublime winner.