Airdrieonians vs. Clyde

12 minutes ago, C. Muir said:

Watched the highlights and still stand by this. Defending for every one of their goals is absolutely woeful. I would say schoolboy stuff but that would be harsh on the school boys. Subs were questionable aswell, Howie was on the field for about a minute before getting sent for a hot dog in the lead up to their 2nd goal.

One positive to take from the game is that Goodwillie looked a lot sharper.

Where are the highlights please?

Watched the highlights and still stand by this. Defending for every one of their goals is absolutely woeful. I would say schoolboy stuff but that would be harsh on the school boys. Subs were questionable aswell, Howie was on the field for about a minute before getting sent for a hot dog in the lead up to their 2nd goal.
One positive to take from the game is that Goodwillie looked a lot sharper.
it is an absolute belter of a finish and yes its woeful from mcniff.

think a few are forgetting the one off the underside of the bar so in the end up probably lucky to get out of town only conceeding 3

DGW did look sharper could have released the ball a bit sooner at times but thats him scored 4 in 4 games still our main man by a country mile

I cannot bring myself to watch the "highlights" of that horror show yesterday.  It was bad enough watching it live.  We did give a good account of ourselves in the first half against East Fife at Broadwood, but since then, the team's confidence will have taken a hammering.  It is too early yet to panic, but my big concern about yesterday was that Airdrie were quick to identify our weaknesses and exploit them.  That is football, and any team will rightly do that.  However I don't see a confidence boost for the team in the next two games.  I fear that we shall witness more of the same.  A lot of dust has yet to settle from our last two games in which to be honest, the score lines flattered us.

I cannot bring myself to watch the "highlights" of that horror show yesterday.  It was bad enough watching it live.  We did give a good account of ourselves in the first half against East Fife at Broadwood, but since then, the team's confidence will have taken a hammering.  It is too early yet to panic, but my big concern about yesterday was that Airdrie were quick to identify our weaknesses and exploit them.  That is football, and any team will rightly do that.  However I don't see a confidence boost for the team in the next two games.  I fear that we shall witness more of the same.  A lot of dust has yet to settle from our last two games in which to be honest, the score lines flattered us.

every team we have played have targeted the left the entire league will know that so no suprise and lennon has done nothing to try to solve it , this isnt something new been there all through friendlies , league cup.

Seeing those three goals that we conceded again is a thing to behold. 

The terrifying thing is, each goal we are conceding is coming from a sequence of errors. Against East Fife, Johnston gave the ball away, McNiff didn't cut out a cross field ball, Wallace didn't match an overlap and Rumsby let the striker run right across him.

People are right to say that McNiff could potentially have stopped the cross but in his defence, he has had to tuck in as Lamont has let a player run right off him. Then when the ball comes into the box, Rumsby (and Grant to a lesser extent) is caught on his heels compared to Roberts.

The second goal see Howie easily beaten out wide but there is no midfield cover inside against what we knew was their most dangerous player running with the ball. And I'd ask the supporter who thinks Rumsby is able to play at this level to tell me exactly why he goes wandering miles away from his defensive partner, exposing a huge channel for Thomson to run into. There's no surprise there's complete disarray when the ball comes into the box given what went before.

The third was a free-kick; again, the highlights perfectly show the three defenders we have back (Petkov had been sent up front) in a bizarre set-up. Howie and Rumsby are miles away from McNiff. I'll have sympathy for McNiff here; he's not really done a huge amount wrong. It's a superb finish but one entirely relying on the game situation with us throwing men forward.

There's two other headers in the box where Rumsby has let the number 11 jump right over the top of him. He is our worst centre half by some distance.

The terrifying thing is, each goal we are conceding is coming from a sequence of errors. Against East Fife, Johnston gave the ball away, McNiff didn't cut out a cross field ball, Wallace didn't match an overlap and Rumsby let the striker run right across him.
People are right to say that McNiff could potentially have stopped the cross but in his defence, he has had to tuck in as Lamont has let a player run right off him. Then when the ball comes into the box, Rumsby (and Grant to a lesser extent) is caught on his heels compared to Roberts.
The second goal see Howie easily beaten out wide but there is no midfield cover inside against what we knew was their most dangerous player running with the ball. And I'd ask the supporter who thinks Rumsby is able to play at this level to tell me exactly why he goes wandering miles away from his defensive partner, exposing a huge channel for Thomson to run into. There's no surprise there's complete disarray when the ball comes into the box given what went before.
The third was a free-kick; again, the highlights perfectly show the three defenders we have back (Petkov had been sent up front) in a bizarre set-up. Howie and Rumsby are miles away from McNiff. I'll have sympathy for McNiff here; he's not really done a huge amount wrong. It's a superb finish but one entirely relying on the game situation with us throwing men forward.
There's two other headers in the box where Rumsby has let the number 11 jump right over the top of him. He is our worst centre half by some distance.
apart from that things seem ok [emoji106]

13 hours ago, David W said:

I said at the game that we've now tried Howie-Rumsby and Petkov-Rumsby but not Howie-Petkov. Now I'm not saying that pairing wouldn't be a disaster either but Rumsby seems to have avoided quite a lot of stick compared to the other defenders despite turning in below average performances in every game so far. Glad someone else noticed that and I'm not imagining it!

When it comes to Rumsby I think he has the ability to play at this level but would really require an experienced CB in there with him. I'm not sure about Howie I've not seen enough of him to judge if he could make it yet but unfortunately Petkov shows very little of what is required for a team like us this season when what we need is someone who is proven at this level, getting a player like that would be very difficult for what budget if any we have left.

I said at the game that we've now tried Howie-Rumsby and Petkov-Rumsby but not Howie-Petkov. Now I'm not saying that pairing wouldn't be a disaster either but Rumsby seems to have avoided quite a lot of stick compared to the other defenders despite turning in below average performances in every game so far. Glad someone else noticed that and I'm not imagining it!

Howie/petkov wouldn’t work as neither are dominant in the air, which you need at cb. Petkov gets caught under the ball far too often and being dominant isn’t howies style.

Mcniff & howie could be a partnership to go with if we can plug the gap at left back. Played together vs poor opposition in colts game and mcniff made a few errors but he is a dominant guy that will win his headers and Howie is composed, reads the game well and brings the ball out.

I’m honestly at a loss as to why we bothered signing petkov, he doesn’t bring much to the table.

Agree that rumsby has been flying under the radar for criticism but is struggling big time.