Airdrieonians vs. Clyde

Yesterday another case of L1 team playing what looked like a L2 team..

I'n fed up hearing its okay from our supporters we have still to play stranraer and dumbarton, well thats two teams who got impressive results yday against one team who horsed us and should have been more, Coupled with both of them having a history of playing in L1 for many years or above that standard in Dumbartons case...

If were not careful our season will be over by Xmas[emoji25]

1 hour ago, Sao Paulo said:

We are very near bomber-brown/Stuart Millar level defensive ineptitude: Gair, Casey, Henderson, McGowan etc. The leaderless gang concept.

I wasn't at the game yesterday - thank god - but I've just watched the highlights. Petkov can go back to Hearts immediately, he's timid, slow and doesn't talk. Howie to EK too, for all the same reasons. McNiff and Rumbsy, servants though they may've been last season, are now out of their depth. Cuddihy might cut it with better players around him.

We need to have conversations with those lads and say look: we've cocked-up, but if we keep you, this club is going backward. Hopefully we can come to some arrangements, free up wages and get a better class of player in. Nobody has a defence anywhere near as bad as ours in this league, not even Dumbarton.

You talk some amount of shite, stick to the 4 paragraphs plus posts as I usually skip them. 

3 minutes ago, shawfield shed boy said:

If were not careful our season will be over by Xmasemoji25.png

It was more a case of an established league 1 team with the aim of promotion against a league 1 team who've just been promoted from the league below. 

We're not going to compete with Airdrie Falkirk and Raith this season. The rest us our level.

Once Matchday 9 is finished, then I'll properly evaluate. 

McNiff has had an absolute horror show at goals 1 and 3.

At the first goal his starting position is dreadful and then look at the space he allows the player to make the cross.

The third goal is a great finish but McNiff is laughably bad.

I know the game midweek was against poor opposition but surprised we didn’t at least give that same back 4 a run out.

McNiff at left back just isn’t working at this level. Rumsby battles away but isn’t good enough. Petkov is a liability. Depressing stuff.

Highlights are a hard watch, thankfully Syvertson and Rankin to come back. But as for the defence? Hopefully Danny and Al can make a signing or two.

Could well be a long, long season.

Edited by TheBigGuy

McNiff and Rumsby are on two year deals as well... petkov does some good things on the park and for an 19 year old he does have lots of potential but you can see he is really inexperienced, took a lot of risks yesterday and in previous games and I’m fully expecting him to made some absolute f**k ups this season.

36 minutes ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

You talk some amount of shite, stick to the 4 paragraphs plus posts as I usually skip them. 

Once every few months, you make a post which has at go at the length of my posts. Here's the last one you made, when we were discussing McHugh (ex-Morton) possibly signing.

I don't have a case to answer for talking shite. If I was going to start a slagging match, I'd point out that you predicted we'd finish third and you've just said, basically, that you'd wait until 27 points were played for until passing judgement on anything. Neither opinion glistens with wisdom, but we've all come away with something wrong or daft on P&B at some point.

I've just twigged that I know you. In reality, I mean. I don't dislike you at all. But I'm puzzled as to why you persist in singling me out for opinions which are fast becoming, if they're not already, majority opinions among our support. Even above, people are saying much the same as what I am about the team. What's the script?

50 minutes ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

It was more a case of an established league 1 team with the aim of promotion against a league 1 team who've just been promoted from the league below. 

We're not going to compete with Airdrie Falkirk and Raith this season. The rest us our level.

How did that go for Arbroath when they went up?

so stranraer beat raith yesterday add that to your list of who we cant compete with in this league

I'n fed up hearing its okay from our supporters we have still to play stranraer and dumbarton, well thats two teams who got impressive results yday against one team who horsed us and should have been more, Coupled with both of them having a history of playing in L1 for many years or above that standard in Dumbartons case...

If were not careful our season will be over by Xmas[emoji25]

absolutely spot on [emoji106]

most fans are of the same opinion

4 minutes ago, cfcuk said:
10 minutes ago, Sao Paulo said:
And the solid but unspectacular Montrose side Petrie put together, for that matter.

they dont count

In general no- but for the purpose of this discussion they do.

i don’t subscribe to this “ we’re only just up” view- Danny told us we were going to compete in league 1 not merely look to survive. Plenty of time to go as long as we make some changes quickly-

if nothing done, we could easily be on the same points total 3 games from now.

1 minute ago, cfcuk said:

absolutely spot on emoji106.png

most fans are of the same opinion

Our thoughts of competing for promotion play offs certainly- but there’s the other end to consider and I’d be really upset if by Christmas that was decided!!!!!

I don’t think Clyde are as bad as their fans are making out. On today’s showing, I can’t imagine they’ll be in much danger of relegation. They were quite tidy in midfield and decent going forward. It’s the defence that’ll hold them back this year. Every time a high ball went up I was confident we’d win the ball one way or another.

We were absolutely honking in the first half - almost as bad as we were on Tuesday night. Eckersley having to go off injured was a blessing in disguise as it forced Murray to change shape which saw us dominate the game. I’d like to see us set up with the 3-4-1-2 formation next week as we looked a different team.

God only knows how Thomson got booked towards the end of the game for what looked like a stone wall penalty. At that point I thought it was going to be one of those days where Clyde equalised, however that absolute wonder goal sealed what was a deserved victory for the might Diamonds.

Hopefully this is the beginning of a good run of form for us.

I don’t think Clyde are as bad as their fans are making out. On today’s showing, I can’t imagine they’ll be in much danger of relegation. They were quite tidy in midfield and decent going forward. It’s the defence that’ll hold them back this year. Every time a high ball went up I was confident we’d win the ball one way or another.

We were absolutely honking in the first half - almost as bad as we were on Tuesday night. Eckersley having to go off injured was a blessing in disguise as it forced Murray to change shape which saw us dominate the game. I’d like to see us set up with the 3-4-1-2 formation next week as we looked a different team.

God only knows how Thomson got booked towards the end of the game for what looked like a stone wall penalty. At that point I thought it was going to be one of those days where Clyde equalised, however that absolute wonder goal sealed what was a deserved victory for the might Diamonds.

nobody has said going forward is the problem ,as you state the defence is awful maybe if airdrie had 1 win ( against a colt team ) in 8 competitive games and had conceded 19 goals you might be worried

14 minutes ago, cfcuk said:
28 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

nobody has said going forward is the problem ,as you state the defence is awful maybe if airdrie had 1 win ( against a colt team ) in 8 competitive games and had conceded 19 goals you might be worried

You’re overreacting- all it needs is less negativity and a bit more singing 🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶

12 hours ago, C. Muir said:

Third goal was an absolute screamer but the time afforded to Gallagher by McNiff was an utter joke. 

Watched the highlights and still stand by this. Defending for every one of their goals is absolutely woeful. I would say schoolboy stuff but that would be harsh on the school boys. Subs were questionable aswell, Howie was on the field for about a minute before getting sent for a hot dog in the lead up to their 2nd goal.

One positive to take from the game is that Goodwillie looked a lot sharper.