Airdrieonians vs. Clyde

Don't think Clyde scoring early and then 'managing the game' from that point on did them any favours. I get time wasting if there is 10-15 minutes to go, but killing time with the majority of the game still to play just shows a complete lack of confidence and surrenders the initiative to the other team. Hutton didn't make a proper save in the entire game, I think because until they went 2-1 down they had no intention of even trying to score a second, the game plan seemed to be to sit tight and hope Goodwillie steals a goal on his own. It worked until half time due to us being awful, but as soon as we showed some intensity it was one way traffic.

Don't think Clyde scoring early and then 'managing the game' from that point on did them any favours. I get time wasting if there is 10-15 minutes to go, but killing time with the majority of the game still to play just shows a complete lack of confidence and surrenders the initiative to the other team. Hutton didn't make a proper save in the entire game, I think because until they went 2-1 down they had no intention of even trying to score a second, the game plan seemed to be to sit tight and hope Goodwillie steals a goal on his own. It worked until half time due to us being awful, but as soon as we showed some intensity it was one way traffic.
honestly didnt think we tried to time waste and hold on to a 1 0 lead I just thought airdrie came flying out the traps in second half our defence is as fragile a waterford crystal as soon as a team gets at the back four its curtains for us.

Just now, cfcuk said:
19 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

honestly didnt think we tried to time waste and hold on to a 1 0 lead I just thought airdrie came flying out the traps in second half our defence is as fragile a waterford crystal as soon as a team gets at the back four its curtains for us.

It was the first half too though. Particularly the keeper, but every throw and free-kick they took as long as possible. They are perfectly entitled to do that, I'm not one of those who moans bitterly about teams time wasting as every team does it, just questioning the sense of it that early in the game.

honestly didnt think we tried to time waste.

Must’ve been at a different game to me. In particular your number 3 who felt the need to walk 5 yards into the park before every throw no matter what his original position was just to walk off and waste as much time as possible, and your keeper who took as much time as possible to roll the ball into the perfect position before every kick he took which didn’t help him with his accuracy, and that’s not including all the time Clyde spent in general just deciding who was going to take any free kick. First time the keeper so much as hit a normal walking pace was when you went 2-1 down.

We definitely were doing some time-wasting from early on yesterday, but there are a couple of caveats to that.

1. Mitchell is slow with almost all of his goalkicks, regardless of the situation. You can see it annoys the team, particularly Grant when he's looking to take the ball short.

2. McNiff is getting exhausted in games just now, trying to bolt up and down the wing from left back. There were a couple of occasions yesterday where he clearly took more time that usual with throw ins just to catch his breath.

3. As was mentioned in another thread recently, we are utterly woeful at throw ins and don't know what to do with them, other than shell them long and hope it finds a teammate.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

Seen a comment earlier that the back 4 are a disgrace to the jersey, 3 of that back 4 got us promoted last year. Ridiculous comment to make. 
thats crazy , but it wasnt the back four that got us promoted , up until xmas last year the defence wasnt good it took cogill and eventually lang to come in thats when the run to promotion started As I said earlier one of guys said yesterday mc niff and rumsby are div 2 defenders playing in league 1 , they are trying their hardest but they have simply found this level a step to far Barry C looks to be struggling with an injury but will come good , the hearts boy just looks as if he doesnt kmow whats hit him a young guy who has come into a team thats shipping goals for fun.

looking at the games this season I dont see how lennon can improve the defence with the players available at the moment , recruitment in the defence has been a disaster ( goalkeeper apart ) so unless we get recruits in particularly a centre back and left back then we will continue to ship.2 and 3 ( or more every game )

Must’ve been at a different game to me. In particular your number 3 who felt the need to walk 5 yards into the park before every throw no matter what his original position was just to walk off and waste as much time as possible, and your keeper who took as much time as possible to roll the ball into the perfect position before every kick he took which didn’t help him with his accuracy, and that’s not including all the time Clyde spent in general just deciding who was going to take any free kick. First time the keeper so much as hit a normal walking pace was when you went 2-1 down.
maybe I got caught up in the game , but I honestly didnt think we were time wasting , but hands up fellow clyde fans agreeing with you about the time wasting .

What makes it more remarkable is the bear hug Gallagher receives before muscling himself into control.

Third goal was an absolute screamer but the time afforded to Gallagher by McNiff was an utter joke. 

Gypsies beat, again. To be fair they looked decent for some of the first half but then the time wasting started and like a few teams they looked decent without troubling too much. Second half we looked like a team and as much as I cant stand Crighton he was MOTM, his two runs from the back are the type of responsibility we needed him to take and let's be honest who doesn't love it when a CB can push 30-50 yards up the pitch? Seen a post on here say the goals we scored were scrappy but looking back I think they were well worked either as a unit or individually. Absolutely delighted to see McNiffs face as he turned around to see the ball in the net after bear hugging Gallagher- delicious.

We were time wasting in the first half.  The Airdrie goals were far from scrappy.  That third one was one of the best that I have seen in a long time.  Not sure if the McNiff wrestling match was in the box or not, IIRC it was, and had Gallagher gone down, it would have been a penalty.  Respect to him for staying on his feet.  That goal was a just reward.  Now really dreading the Falkirk game.  We just have to tough out the next two games and hope that some of the others will have a more lever playing field, pun intended.

We were time wasting in the first half.  The Airdrie goals were far from scrappy.  That third one was one of the best that I have seen in a long time.  Not sure if the McNiff wrestling match was in the box or not, IIRC it was, and had Gallagher gone down, it would have been a penalty.  Respect to him for staying on his feet.  That goal was a just reward.  Now really dreading the Falkirk game.  We just have to tough out the next two games and hope that some of the others will have a more lever playing field, pun intended.
tough out games and hope sums up lennons recruitment perfectly [emoji106]

We are very near bomber-brown/Stuart Millar level defensive ineptitude: Gair, Casey, Henderson, McGowan etc. The leaderless gang concept.

I wasn't at the game yesterday - thank god - but I've just watched the highlights. Petkov can go back to Hearts immediately, he's timid, slow and doesn't talk. Howie to EK too, for all the same reasons. McNiff and Rumbsy, servants though they may've been last season, are now out of their depth. Cuddihy might cut it with better players around him.

We need to have conversations with those lads and say look: we've cocked-up, but if we keep you, this club is going backward. Hopefully we can come to some arrangements, free up wages and get a better class of player in. Nobody has a defence anywhere near as bad as ours in this league, not even Dumbarton.

Edited by Sao Paulo
Typo