General Election Speculation

NotThePars

15 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

Corbyn is bloody hopeless. Even when an election is called and the Tories are lying in absolute tatters, he still won't become PM. He is a liability who is making Labour unelectable. I really don't give a fig about the English electorate anymore. They deserve the Tories in government. Independence is the only way for Scotland now.

How is that so many people on here do not realise that until we get Independence (and it can’t come soon enough) our fate is still tied into the U.K.?

40 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Interesting to note on the news channels that Ian Blackford would appear to have become the principal spokesperson for the opposition parties. 

I would have thought that the official leader of the opposition might have been contributing more to the debate, but maybe he doesn't want to offend anyone.

Blackford is a pretty ideal candidate when it comes to inevitably pissing off the thousands (probably millions) of English leave supporters that usually vote either Labour or Lib Dem with no control over SNP presence.  In contrast, there can't be that many leave supporting SNP voters he can annoy.

23 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Blackford is a pretty ideal candidate when it comes to inevitably pissing off the thousands (probably millions) of English leave supporters that usually vote either Labour or Lib Dem with no control over SNP presence.  In contrast, there can't be that many leave supporting SNP voters he can annoy.

What I was meaning was the Official Leader of the Opposition - Corbyn - does not wish to offend anyone. And probably, and in particular the thousands of traditional labour voters who voted for him last time, but also voted to leave the EU.

Ian Blackford would appear to be garnering a lot of respect, not just from parliamentary colleagues, but from sizeable sections of the meeja. That respect is thoroughly merited. 

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

How is that so many people on here do not realise that until we get Independence (and it can’t come soon enough) our fate is still tied into the U.K.?

You could very easily have a situation after the next election with 55 (approx) SNP Westminster MPs holding the balance of power.

That could do a lot to help  Scotland as nothing would get passed without their approval.

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Could you imagine the English nationalist seethe.
Delicious!!!!

I'm on record as saying I will return to Scotland as soon as Independence is secured.

But that SNP balance of power scenario could make living in England very worthwhile!!

2 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I'm on record as saying I will return to Scotland as soon as Independence is secured.

But that SNP balance of power scenario could make living in England very worthwhile!!

Are you still in touch with your immigrant expat mates in Spain? Wondering what they think about it all. 

14 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

The push the button Nickie guys would hate it but surely if you're in that position as the SNP after an election, the more sensible thing to do is go for devo max?

Otherwise what, you get a referendum, potentially lose it, then what? If Labour say yes to a referendum it's in their interest to fight for no ferociously because they can't form a government on English votes only. Why not spend a few years really cementing devo, while letting Labour get stuff done in England, then if indy happens towards the end of a parliamentary term that's a nice bonus.

I'd say this is a once in several generations chance to go for the full whack. If it fails, then a slice by slice approach till we're independent in all but name, then press the button. Labour barely exist in Scotland anymore, it's nothing like the concern it used to be.

Edited by welshbairn

19 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Are you still in touch with your immigrant expat mates in Spain? Wondering what they think about it all. 

Yes, and they're absolutely horrified at the turn of events. Hoping and praying that the whole thing might still be revoked/cancelled.

Some of them also thinking about heading for home but the property market, unsurprisingly seems to have taken a dive. So far they have been able to take advantage of reciprocal health care arrangements, but that seems set to be plunged into uncertainty.

Astonishing to reflect back to May's time in charge when she wanted to charge EU immigrants to remain in the UK. The Tory's are a bunch of racist fuckers.

I just got out of Spain in the nick of time.

34 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Reports thats the tories having talks with the farage party.

No big surprise there.  

Any sort of ‘arrangement’ will show that Johnson wants No Deal and that any talk of ongoing negotiations with the EU is a smokescreen.