General Election Speculation

NotThePars

36 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I've had so many conversations with several who have assured me they knew what they were voting for, and now claim that No Deal will be absolutely fine. 

It's a kind of a cult thing, I guess,  as they see leaving the EU as winning independence. No doubt Malky3 will say the desire for Scottish Independence is exactly the same thing, and something that has not been properly thought through. 

Sorry, just picking up on this, but yes - absolutely. 

As I've repeatedly said I voted to remain in the UK and to remain in the EU precisely because the arguments weren't successfully or credibly made for change. I'd say I was using my head rather than my heart. 

Sadly I think most Scottish Nationalists and Brexiteers aren't using their heads at all and they put their prejudices, xenophobia and their personal ideologies ahead of common logic and a challenging mind, and yes, in both cases, it has become cultish. 

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

And surrounded as I am in here NW Englandshire by ignorant Boris supporting c***s, who tell me on a daily basis that he is the only person capable of getting the country out of this horrible EU, I'll be so fucking happy when he does throw in the towel.

He's lost his brother, lost his party, lost the country and totally lost the plot.

Rest assured, the partying on the other side of the Pennines will be just as raucous.

Note use of "will", not "would". It's happening.

25 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I'm an unashamed admirer of Corbyn, as many on here know, but I reckon yesterday was more a case of Johnson displaying such an eyewateringly awful caricature of political naivete that I could have looked like Churchill (c.1941) opposite him.

Regardless, the Labour Leadership's long-game strategy is starting to pay off, and I am slightly optimistic.

Corbyn has had a massive problem with scoring open goals from the very beginning though. So while what you're saying is true, it was still a big improvement from him.

On 03/09/2019 at 13:22, Granny Danger said:

Poll done by pro-EU Tories shows interesting projection.

F560F8DE-124C-4A2A-8A5F-FC887413523C.jpeg.447379a2c9caa96207e6f69416c3f61e.jpeg

Apparently lots of pro-EU Tories will vote for another party.

Tories + DUP = 321 (less Speaker presumably)

Others = 321

That's assuming the DUP gets 10 seats. Who's to say Naomi Long wouldn't win Belfast East (again)? Or Sinn Fein win Belfast North?

10 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

You think because someone is a good radio broadcaster that they would be a good leader of a political party?  That is one hell of a stretch.

9 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Well, arguably the worst ever presenter of Have I Got News for You became Prime Minister...

"worst ever" does not equal "good"

2 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

It's a good question. I'm presently living in a labour heartland area, but also a very pro leave EU area. Many have said they will vote conservative for the first time in their lives, because they think they will deliver on Brexit - any kind of a Brexit.

I haven't got any direct evidence of anyone having changed their mind in this matter, but I'd like to think they must surely be having second thoughts.

They would have needed to have had a first thought...

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

In anticipation of an early general elections n 200,000 have registered to vote in the last 36 hours.  50% of them are under 35.

Given that most Gammons are already registered to vote that is a very positive sign. 

From what I saw it was more than 50%. Apparently it was 118k of 199k were between 18 & 35.   In addition if Boris decides he needs a 3rd stab at an early election, SNP and liberals are primed to amend it with a reduced voting age.  

9 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

After the "i would rather be dead in a ditch " comments the rebel alliance must put off a general election until after the 31st of October

First time I’ve agreed with Johnson; I’d rather he was dead in a ditch too.

6 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

It might be a bit simplistic, but I'd have thought there will be some blowback for the DUP, given they have been mad for Brexit and NI as a whole voted to remain?

The Alliance Party might pick up a few votes, but the Ulster Unionists are on the same Brexit page as the DUP, and there's no way DUP voters would switch to Sinn Fein. If they just stay at home it could be very significant though.

15 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

It might be a bit simplistic, but I'd have thought there will be some blowback for the DUP, given they have been mad for Brexit and NI as a whole voted to remain?

They’ve said in the past they are supporting the view of Unionist voters not the broad electorate.  I’m sure how the pro/anti Brexit position is in those terms.  Maybe @Jacksgranda can enlighten me.