General Election Speculation

NotThePars

Guest Bob Mahelp
7 minutes ago, harry94 said:

They have to I think. They need their core support to turn up and then also won't likely be winning many votes by shying away from it anyway, the cat is already out of the bag.

The only danger for them in doing it means that it'll give the LibDems the ammunition to become the Unionist/Loyalist party of choice. 

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

If there is a General Election it looks like all the opposition parties would have a second referendum central to their manifestos, with Corbyn restating that today. Will they be prepared to have an electoral pact though? That could be crucial.

No electoral pacts with the Austerity Dems. 

21 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

The only danger for them in doing it means that it'll give the LibDems the ammunition to become the Unionist/Loyalist party of choice. 

The swing to SNP in last week’s by-election makes me think that we can weather that storm. 

8 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Torys under Johnson (if brexit party stand aside) will steamroll a general election. SNP would get 50+ seats in Scotland. UK would be more polarised than ever, as Torys would be predominantly brexiteers due to deselection.
I think Yes would go on and comfortably win a second referendum.

Assuming the above happens, when the Conservative leader inevitably declines IndyRef2, where do we go from there? 

7 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
12 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:
Buzzing at the prospect of a GE tbh
Almost a dry run for #IndyRef2
If pro Indy parties can’t get over 50% of the popular vote I’d be concerned 

This is difficult in fairness because there are labour and Lib dem voters who would vote for independence..

I genuinely can’t fathom why these days 

Guest Bob Mahelp
20 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Torys under Johnson (if brexit party stand aside) will steamroll a general election. SNP would get 50+ seats in Scotland. UK would be more polarised than ever, as Torys would be predominantly brexiteers due to deselection.
I think Yes would go on and comfortably win a second referendum.

No need for the Brexit party to stand aside. The Tories will be trumpeting a no-deal Brexit from the rooftops and the Brexit party vote will go en masse to them. 

The LibDems in England will hoover up the middle-class remainer strongholds, and Labour and their dithering 'let's hold a referendum but we can't tell you what the options will be manifesto' will be squeezed out all over the UK. 

The SNP will scoop up 50 seats in Scotland but the Tories will romp home UK-wide with a pretty large majority.

We'll end up with a hard-right government able to easily push through whatever nutcase bunch of policies it currently has up its sleeve, and there's a snowball's chance that they'll be in the slightest bit interested in Scotland......other than to cut back the powers of the Scottish parliament to the barest minimum. 

The country will be more divided than at any time in history, but the right-wing won't care about that as they will hold the power. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, ICTJohnboy said:

Will they call an election given the very distinct possibility that they will lose 13 seats in Scotland?

That would be a nice outcome.

:)

They're willing to sacrifice 13 seats in Scotland to romp home in England. 

2 hours ago, harry94 said:

They have to I think. They need their core support to turn up and then also won't likely be winning many votes by shying away from it anyway, the cat is already out of the bag.

Agreed. If they can't run on that platform, they won't win a referendum anyway. 

5 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

They're willing to sacrifice 13 seats in Scotland to romp home in England. 

Don't think they'll "romp home" in England, although I am aware that there are many traditional labour voters here in the N.W England who will be switching to Tory in the hope that will bring about a hard brexit. The Brexit Party could also bugger up Tory prospects of romping home in England, so I would guess a hung parliament looks quite likely.

I don't really care - as long as the SNP clean up in Scotland.

53 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Will they call an election given the very distinct possibility that they will lose 13 seats in Scotland?

That would be a nice outcome.

:)

I would say that's the real reason for Ruthie standing down. Losing 13 seats would be total humiliation  

Don't think they'll "romp home" in England, although I am aware that there are many traditional labour voters here in the N.W England who will be switching to Tory in the hope that will bring about a hard brexit. The Brexit Party could also bugger up Tory prospects of romping home in England, so I would guess a hung parliament looks quite likely.
I don't really care - as long as the SNP clean up in Scotland.
My take is that every day that passes reveals Johnson & Co to be duplicitous, devious ideologues and that in turn will cost them votes. There IS a large body of Little Britain nutters in play but by the time a GE takes place no-one will be in any doubt of the problems which will inevitably accompany a No Deal, and that could see a vital 5-10% of the electorate effectively shite it, and refrain from voting Tory.