Side Hustle

Like most of these smart phrases, it seems to have come from the US.  There was some bloke who wrote a book about the subject,

he was quite rhapsodic about it.   I found a video of him on Youtube.  He seemed to spend most of his life on the road, town to town,

from one local radio station to another local radio station...  , promoting his book.    

He just looked really freaked out.  

At which point I decided to think of it all as an extra job.  

Part of what he was on about is that you treat it as something separate from your main job....,

using  knowledge that you already have, an extension of your hobby perhaps, that doesn't need loads of extra work/study to get going.

Edited by beefybake

23 hours ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

The term "Side Hustle" is used a hell of a lot on Linkedin at the moment, it's a useful indicator to find which idiots have fallen for the "Be Your Own Boss" multilevel marketing scam and are now stuck with a shit ton of candles or tubs of protein powder in their garage.....

I do a lot of sports photography and have being quite fortunate this year to have a few paid jobs from it this year.  I've managed to sell the commercial rights to some of my photos from this years Isle of Man TT races to a rider and his sponsor.  Even had a number of parents wishing to purchase photos of their children (steady now) at games or in the mini moto's, although the hit rate between parents wanting to buy and those that actually do is about the same success ratio that Mcleish had at Scotland.

Even managed to have a few photos in the papers but really hate dealing with them (always claim they never have funds to pay photographers, many a time I've walked away rather than allow my image to be used free of charge.)

All the money earned goes straight back into the photography and definitely not enough to give up the day job.

I recently did that whole 'google your own name' thing and found out at least three photographs have been taken off my old Flickr account and used on commercial websites.

I'm an old 90s slacker who doesn't give a f**k and won't do anything about it but still, that's not right is it?  At least ask!

19 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I tried delivering for Hermes. Not too bad, but was worried about the dodgy looking insurance add on they had. And the wear and tear on the car from switching on and off every 50 yards or so. Good points were a fair bit of flexibility timewise, and the money was a bit better than expected. Whether it's worth doing is totally dependent on what route you get, and whether your car is worth protecting from continual stopping and starting, or just leaving it running while you're up a block of flats.

I just assume Hermes drivers stop in a layby first thing in the morning and set fire to every parcel they have.

Abysmal company.

23 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Must be a good market for TT photos of the dead bodies being scraped off the road?  "here's a cracker of the brains being power-washed off the wall that the rider went headfirst into?  £20 and it's yours"

You are right about the Herbalifey thing about side hustle.  I follow quite a few fitness accounts on Instagram and they are all flogging some sort of protein powder / pre-workout. 

I know the first bit is in jest but over the years I've managed to become friends with a few of the riders lower down the pack (again mainly through requests of photos and from repeatedly seeing them at other events) it's getting a bit nervy now watching them race...f**k knows how their family cope.   

38 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I recently did that whole 'google your own name' thing and found out at least three photographs have been taken off my old Flickr account and used on commercial websites.

I'm an old 90s slacker who doesn't give a f**k and won't do anything about it but still, that's not right is it?  At least ask!

Yeah, that's considered a dick move....if they are on commercial websites then in theory you could go and chase up for the use of your image.....when I did it I only had some personal website regarding the mixed rules of Shinty/Hurling, not really worth getting to fussed up, especially since the website was last updated in 2013......

5 minutes ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

I know the first bit is in jest but over the years I've managed to become friends with a few of the riders lower down the pack (again mainly through requests of photos and from repeatedly seeing them at other events) it's getting a bit nervy now watching them race...f**k knows how their family cope.   

I'd guess you'll have seen it but for anyone else interested in that concept then this documentary covers it well. Starts off as a pretty dry, dull documentary about bikes but becomes all about life and death and has stuff happening in it that would seem far fetched in a movie.

3 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Is the excuse that by using flickr you made them public? Or possibly Flickr owns them now and sold them?

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I know a brilliant “side hustle” that can earn you £200 each week for only a few hours work.

Send me £50 and I will share this with you.

Congratulations, you have set up a multi-level marketing scheme.

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Is the excuse that by using flickr you made them public? Or possibly Flickr owns them now and sold them?

I was credited by name on the websites, which is why they came up on the google searches.  Apparently this is all you have to do to take a photo from Flickr, at least on the copyright settings that my photos had and which I assume are the default ones.

However I'm no expert in this, I may have been spun a line. 

I don't use Flickr any more, haven't in ages, they were old photographs so I was prepared to write them off.

Like I said I take photographs for enjoyment rather than making money but you'd at least expect to be asked for permission of use.  I'd literally have had no idea they were being used if I hadn't done the search.

5 hours ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

Yeah, that's considered a dick move....if they are on commercial websites then in theory you could go and chase up for the use of your image.....when I did it I only had some personal website regarding the mixed rules of Shinty/Hurling, not really worth getting to fussed up, especially since the website was last updated in 2013......

One was a hotel in the Highlands.  I did considered phoning them up and asking for a free weekend but just left it.

I assume side hustle is the same language that describes Woman's Own style tips as a "Life Hack" and going for a walk as a "Microadventure". 
We need a good war. 

Only w****r clickbait journo types use that patter. If anyone actually said these things out loud, the person next to them should absolutely scream “shut your fucking noise you c**t!”

At last 3 or 4 times so they really get the message. Might draw some looks from startled passers-by but definitely the right thing to do.

12 minutes ago, Serious Business said:

The great Rod Liddle mused on much the same things in the Times recently - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a-peaceful-easy-life-hasnt-made-us-happy-perhaps-its-time-to-give-war-a-chance-wbfhbfv9r

Can only imagine how the current generation would handle going over the top, storming the Normandy beaches.

I wasn't suggesting we invade France.