Motherwell v Hearts - LC2 - Friday 16th August

MJC

I see Hearts have axed Zlamal for this and their new signing from Man Utd is likely to start tomorrow night. What's the betting he's the 'penalty shootout hero'? :rolleyes:

I just can't see any scenario where we win tomorrow I'm afraid. We've looked poor so far, have no recognised goalscorer and all the while Hearts and their manager are under pressure to get a result. It just doesn't bode well for us IMO but I'd love to be proven wrong.

3 hours ago, MJC said:

I see Hearts have axed Zlamal for this and their new signing from Man Utd is likely to start tomorrow night. What's the betting he's the 'penalty shootout hero'? :rolleyes:

I just can't see any scenario where we win tomorrow I'm afraid. We've looked poor so far, have no recognised goalscorer and all the while Hearts and their manager are under pressure to get a result. It just doesn't bode well for us IMO but I'd love to be proven wrong.

What about a scenario where we score a goal and they don’t?  Would that work?

8 hours ago, ropy said:

What about a scenario where we score a goal and they don’t?  Would that work?

I can't see us not conceding, especially if Naismith plays. And if we don't concede we'll likely not score either.

8 hours ago, Swello said:

He's such an annoying wee w**k  annoyingly good player that if this is true, then I'd be quite confident....

Definitely out according to Levein.  Had a tight hamstring against Ross County and we aren't risking him.

On ‎14‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 11:37, Swello said:

No-one outside of our training knows what state Trevor is in - but to throw someone that's been out for as long as he has been into a one-off cup tie as a reaction to the most consistent player in our team having a mild off-day would be fucking lunacy. I'm not talking normal lunacy here - I'm talking dropping Louis Moult for the cup tie against ICT lunacy, playing Danny Johnson as lone striker against County lunacy - maybe even approaching McCall's team against Albion Rovers  levels of Lunacy. Not happening.

This is the reaction to suggesting we start our best goalkeeper in a very important cup tie?

Interesting. 

1 hour ago, Tony Wonder said:

Definitely out according to Levein.  Had a tight hamstring against Ross County and we aren't risking him.

So he’ll probably be starting then. 

10 hours ago, Swello said:

He's such an annoying wee w**k  annoyingly good player that if this is true, then I'd be quite confident....

Whilst his absence would be a massive boost to our chances, there’s still far too many question marks surrounding this current team for me to feel overly confident. Mainly the front three- we haven’t found the right combination yet(if there is one) and you wonder who’s going to step up if/when Donnelly eventually stops scoring

Second half of last season, I was confident coming up against anybody at Fir Park. We had an excellent midfield trio and a genuine threat on both flanks- we were probably a decent striker away from being a top six side. I’d strongly fancy that lots chances tonight.

This team? Who knows. Looking forward to it  but I’m genuinely not sure what to expect from us here.

Edited by Casagolda

10 minutes ago, Desp said:

This is the reaction to suggesting we start our best goalkeeper in a very important cup tie?

Interesting. 

We simply don't know if he's our best goalkeeper now, that's only an assertion at this point - the guy's been out for ages with what was a life-threatening condition, he's not played any competitive football at all since. Gillespie has been excellent for us since he came in and has 5 clean sheets out of 6 games this season - Carson would need to be at his pre-DVT peak to be better than him and it's hard to see how he could possibly be in that state at this point in time.

The ideal time to play him - if he were as ready as he needs to be - would have been the Betfred group games. If Robinson felt he wasn't ready for a game against Annan or Dumbarton (where most of us assumed he would play), it's honestly difficult to see how he could be considered first choice for a game of this importance a couple of weeks later.

Aside from Carson's readiness, the idea that Gillespie should be dropped for this makes no sense to me: 

"Could probably have done better at a direct free kick" isn't a dropping offence IMO. 

I'm looking forward to seeing Carson back in the first team (assuming he isn't away this window) as he is one of my favourite players at the club - but the right time to do that would surely be in a league game where the consequences of losing are less...

1 hour ago, Estragon said:

Motherwell are 17/10 at home tonight - is there some injury crisis I don't know about?

Not in the slightest.  Hearts should be favourites tonight.  They've got the better squad so I would suggest the bookies have priced it about right.

@Casagolda is spot on when he suggests our squad is very much on the 'who the f**k knows?' side.  Swatting aside lower league dross in the League Cup told us nothing, despite some going overboard.  Our two tests this season saw us outran and outbattled by Livingston, and taken apart by Celtic when we alarmingly looked shot after an hour. 

Don't get me wrong, I believe we can win the game tonight, but it's wild to suggest we're any sort of favourites for the game.  The first goal will be crucial.  If we get it, our tails will go up and our wide men might just get the confidence to do some damage.  If we go behind, I don't fancy our chances if we need to chase it. 

29 minutes ago, Desp said:

Not in the slightest.  Hearts should be favourites tonight.  They've got the better squad so I would suggest the bookies have priced it about right.

@Casagolda is spot on when he suggests our squad is very much on the 'who the f**k knows?' side.  Swatting aside lower league dross in the League Cup told us nothing, despite some going overboard.  Our two tests this season saw us outran and outbattled by Livingston, and taken apart by Celtic when we alarmingly looked shot after an hour. 

Don't get me wrong, I believe we can win the game tonight, but it's wild to suggest we're any sort of favourites for the game.  The first goal will be crucial.  If we get it, our tails will go up and our wide men might just get the confidence to do some damage.  If we go behind, I don't fancy our chances if we need to chase it. 

...an hour too late FFS - you're on the coupon.

#TB4