Defenders of The Championship

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Imo Comrie is better defensively which makes me rate him higher. Rooney is good going forward but a bit of a mess at the back.

This is even more worrying 😂 it reached the stage with Comrie that the manager would change to a back five when we had no choice but to play him, to cover for his issues defensively. Jordan Jones absolutely ruined him every time they met by simply running at him at pace.

This is even more worrying [emoji23] it reached the stage with Comrie that the manager would change to a back five when we had no choice but to play him, to cover for his issues defensively. Jordan Jones absolutely ruined him every time they met by simply running at him at pace.

Some guys just benefit greatly from dropping down a league and getting a bit of consistency and confidence especially younger players. Shankland and Nisbet albeit strikers have done this and came back up and are storming this league.

Rooney will get by defensively because of his size. When Forrest went up against him he was just shoved about the place and couldn’t do anything about it.

10 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Revised list purely based on what I’ve seen so far.

Full backs,

1. Daniel Harvie
2. Kevin Holt
3. Liam Smith
4. Jordan Marshall
5. Lewis Martin

Marshall is far, far to high while Holt isn't better than Smith nor Martin, imo of course. 

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

This is even more worrying 😂 it reached the stage with Comrie that the manager would change to a back five when we had no choice but to play him, to cover for his issues defensively. Jordan Jones absolutely ruined him every time they met by simply running at him at pace.

You have Ralston do you not? He was far better at this level than Rooney. 

Comrie has been very good for us, consistently a 7 most weeks. I'm genuinely quite positive that he'll move upto the Premiership eventually, give him another two seasons down here and he'll be rated quite highly, regular game time has brought him on massively.  He's not there yet but he's definitely one of the few who I could see stepping up if he keeps developing, and there's not many of those in our squad. 

Glad about that because I thought he'd be absolutely gubbins having seen that Jordan Jones reel. 

1 minute ago, Grant228 said:

Marshall is far, far to high while Holt isn't better than Smith nor Martin, imo of course. 

You have Ralston do you not? He was far better at this level than Rooney. 

Comrie has been very good for us, consistently a 7 most weeks. I'm genuinely quite positive that he'll move upto the Premiership eventually, give him another two seasons down here and he'll be rated quite highly, regular game time has brought him on massively.  He's not there yet but he's definitely one of the few who I could see stepping up if he keeps developing, and there's not many of those in our squad. 

Glad about that because I thought he'd be absolutely gubbins having seen that Jordan Jones reel. 

Ralston is dreadful defensively too so I'm no longer wanting Rooney if the consensus is Ralston is the better of the two. Another full back who most top flight wingers beat without issue.

Glad to hear Comrie is doing well tbh, he wasnt really up to it but was getting chucked odd minutes here and there so never really stood a chance, seemed a nice enough person.

On 02/02/2020 at 23:38, Ludo*1 said:

Marshall has been our best player this season. He's been better for us than Holt was. Quite the blow he's out injured. 

We have certainly been blessed with a succession of really good left backs in the last decade. Personally I would take Holt over Marshall, he is both bigger and a better defender, but Marshall is a tenacious player with the heart of a lion and the stamina of the Energizer Bunny!

I would say left back is the strongest position in the League actually with the likes of Harvie, Martin, etc also.

On 02/02/2020 at 23:15, RandomGuy. said:

We've apparently signed Rooney for next season, while Comrie left us as a complete joke figure, so this is a bit worrying...

There are players in my son's under 10s side with more idea of where they should be positionally to defend than Shaun Rooney. He has apparently improved in the ftozen North but he was absolutely clueless in his year here. He is a real physical athlete, good in the air, strong and quick in possession and a set piece threat in the opposition box but his defending is 'lacking'. 

6 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

There are players in my son's under 10s side with more idea of where they should be positionally to defend than Shaun Rooney. He has apparently improved in the ftozen North but he was absolutely clueless in his year here. He is a real physical athlete, good in the air, strong and quick in possession and a set piece threat in the opposition box but his defending is 'lacking'. 

Braw.

Tbf Darnell Fisher was the exact same when he joined us, often making random runs into the centre of midfield while the opposition were attacking, and after 6 months or so he'd improved massively. To the point he got a move to Preston.

TW seems to love developing defenders.

Comrie has been one of our best players this season. A fantastic right-back. Nothing like shooting down a player when they've barely started their 20s.

When Martin is back, I think our defence is pretty much bang on, and I'd be happy with it going forward in our pursuit for promotion next season.

Martin was in a similar position to Morrison a few years ago, came in and did okay with a few glaring errors and shuffled about a little bit. 

He's developed into probably our best defender in the squad and I think he also came back from a horrific injury?

Morrison might do the same, depends on how much he wants it. 

Comrie has been solid AF especially after Williamson, and is probably more effective going forward too. 

10 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Martin was in a similar position to Morrison a few years ago, came in and did okay with a few glaring errors and shuffled about a little bit. 

He's developed into probably our best defender in the squad and I think he also came back from a horrific injury?

Morrison might do the same, depends on how much he wants it. 

Due to a part time job I went to quite a few youth/reserve games while Martin was coming through and it was obvious he had the best potential at the time, out of him, Kerr Young, Sean Byrne etc. 

Morrison wasn't at that level when he came through, he might come good but I doubt it at the moment. 

ToB & Ricky Little are the best Centre half pairing in the championship for me purely for the consistency of there high level performances, fantastic understanding and are real winners demonstrated by how successful us lichties have been this past decade, there performance on Saturday was a defensive masterclass 🙌🇱🇻⚽

Edited by 36-0 Maroon