Defenders of The Championship

Still reckon Lewis Martin is one of the top left backs in this division, there's none that I'd swap him for. 

That goes in hand with the fact the options at full back are quite limited this year I think, Smith at Dundee Utd is the standout, outwith that you probably just have a list of competent players. 

Centre backs are weird, there's no fantastic ones and with Arbroath and Alloa having Andy Graham and O'brien they stand in good stead. For Dunfermline I prefer Murray to Ashcroft. 

I think Tam O'Brien and Andy Graham would be rated higher by most if they weren't playing for part-time sides....or they would have more expectation on them and wouldn't be seen as quite so good.

I think our best defender may be Lewis Martin right now, which seems strange considering several indifferent, injury-plagued seasons. If he stays fit, he is still quite young so does have the potential to get better too.

We never should’ve gotten rid of Andy Graham after our promotion in 2016. He might’ve been a bit slow but we then went and signed Conrad Balatoni (even slower) and Daryl Meggat (just shite) instead. We would probably still have gone down but at least we might’ve been able to hold onto Graham for the following season when our defence was awful until January when Steven Bell sorted it out.

O’Brien is another one that we apparently inquired about in the summer but he was still under contract with no real desire to go full time. Arbroath have won a watch with him as he’ll likely see out the rest of his career with them when he could quite easily do a job with a mid table Championship side.

On 11/08/2019 at 11:45, D'Jaffo said:

Adams is a pretty useless midfielder at this level but as a centre back it’s a totally different story. I think he may have started off in that position but prior to last season he’d only played there once or twice for us.

FYI I don’t pay much attention to opposition defenders so most of this list is a pure guess.

1. Liam Smith
2. Lee Ashcroft
3. Carl Tremarco
4. Mark Reynolds
5. Josh Meekings
6. Jamie McCart
7. Andy Graham
8. Jamie Adams
9. Callum Semple
10. Coll Donaldson

The Callum Semple we had on loan in the first half of last season could  easily be in the top half of  that list imo,   the Callum Semple that came back from Ross County is,  to be polite,   not in the best shape fitness wise (chunky), possibly not helped by picking up a rib injury in pre-season.  If he can get himself back to fitness by losing some pounds he'll hopefully get back to being as good as he was. 

Did Ayr not reject a bid for Balatoni from someone that January? I might be mixing that up with another season. 

He was quite highly rated when Partick won the league tbf. 

Yeah and from that point on he was awful. McCall claimed he wasn’t interested in a move but it was as if he just lost interest so his head must’ve been turned.

It was only a five figure fee but we should probably have taken it and brought in a half decent striker instead of signing El Alagui a month later.

Folk with Ashcroft near the top of their lists.
Love the boy and he would throw himself under a bus for the team but he is far from the best in the league. On about 5 different occasions in the past two seasons he's made the same mistake of letting the ball bounce over his head (also happened against Dundee now that I think of it) and has been sent off twice/given away penalties for last man challenges.
As mentioned already, probably easier to do two FB/CB lists.
Full-backs:
1. McGhee
2. Comrie
3. Penrice
4. Robson
5. Geggan

Centre-backs:
1. O'Ware (2016 form)
2. Donaldson
3. Grant (again 2016 form)
4. Graham
5. Bell

Full backs were incredibly hard to pick from, a real shite selection this year.

Congrats mate you’ve missed the best full back out in the whole league

No Reynolds or Connolly either

If you want a list of the worst defenders in the league then you can have Connolly on it.

I agree re Liam Smith being the best full back and Reynolds is pretty decent.

47 minutes ago, dundeeunited83 said:

Aye realised I’d missed Smith out once I’d posted. Never actually seen him play but have heard rave reviews.

Connolly though 😆 He’s fucking gash.