Defenders of The Championship

I honestly have no idea where to start with this list, definitely a problem area and a few of the defenders on this list I must confess I've not saw in a few year so Grant, for example, might be fortunate to make the list?

1. Liam Smith
2. Mark Reynolds
3. Josh Meekings
4. Jamie Adams
5. Lee Ashcroft
6. Carl Tremarco
7. Jordan McGhee
8. Thomas O'Ware
9. Coll Donaldson
10. Peter Grant

24 minutes ago, srw said:

Meekings is not a football player, he may have been several years ago, but those days are long gone. File under wage thief imposter.

Think that's harsh, he's more than fine for this level IMO.  Is he the player he was at Caley? Absolutely not, but I reckon he's much better than Forster.

2 minutes ago, srw said:

Injury prone, cant defend, cant run, passing is dubious, sells herbal life.

The guy is a massive waste of money.

Fair enough, I can see how he's not everyone's cup of tea, but I don't think we have anything better at CH and he's played his part in our clean sheet record. Did have a nightmare against Dunfermline granted.

Interesting to see Adams high on the list. Not surprising from our point of view, he was brilliant last year up until his injury. CB is a new position for him over the last 12-18 months, but has taken to it brilliantly. Reminds me of Ledley King in the sense that he rarely trains, but always looks fit. Maybe to do with the fact he’s carrying a hay bale on each shoulder every day. A farmer cross fit type of scenario.

3 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Think that's harsh, he's more than fine for this level IMO.  Is he the player he was at Caley? Absolutely not, but I reckon he's much better than Forster.

Meekings was a magnificent player for us, but having watched him against us and Dunfermline this season, it's obvious that since his serious injury problems started he's lost a lot of pace - he used to be pretty rapid over the ground. Still think he reads the game well though.

FWIW, Jamie McCart was superb for us in the second half of last season, and I'd have him in the top ten.

Edited by alternative maryhill

Adams is a pretty useless midfielder at this level but as a centre back it’s a totally different story. I think he may have started off in that position but prior to last season he’d only played there once or twice for us.

FYI I don’t pay much attention to opposition defenders so most of this list is a pure guess.

1. Liam Smith
2. Lee Ashcroft
3. Carl Tremarco
4. Mark Reynolds
5. Josh Meekings
6. Jamie McCart
7. Andy Graham
8. Jamie Adams
9. Callum Semple
10. Coll Donaldson

I honestly have no idea where to start with this list, definitely a problem area and a few of the defenders on this list I must confess I've not saw in a few year so Grant, for example, might be fortunate to make the list?

1. Liam Smith
2. Mark Reynolds
3. Josh Meekings
4. Jamie Adams
5. Lee Ashcroft
6. Carl Tremarco
7. Jordan McGhee
8. Thomas O'Ware
9. Coll Donaldson
10. Peter Grant

McGhee is miles better than Meekings. Meekings is far too weak for my liking, better still than Forster though. Coll Donaldson, surely not? Jeez the standard must be bad! I can’t even think so fair play for managing to come up with something.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Adams is a pretty useless midfielder at this level but as a centre back it’s a totally different story. I think he may have started off in that position but prior to last season he’d only played there once or twice for us.

FYI I don’t pay much attention to opposition defenders so most of this list is a pure guess.

1. Liam Smith
2. Lee Ashcroft
3. Carl Tremarco
4. Mark Reynolds
5. Josh Meekings
6. Jamie McCart
7. Andy Graham
8. Jamie Adams
9. Callum Semple
10. Coll Donaldson

I tend to agree with the earlier suggestion that the list should be split by full backs and centre backs. They are very different positions.

Surprised at the lack of mention for Kevin Holt on these lists so far though. He could be playing at a higher level.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I tend to agree with the earlier suggestion that the list should be split by full backs and centre backs. They are very different positions.

Surprised at the lack of mention for Kevin Holt on these lists so far though. He could be playing at a higher level.

He did play at a higher level, and struggled.

Agree with this even if Holt did struggle at Premiership level. His lack of technical ability seemed to let him down but defends fairly well. Would rather have him than Marshall tbh.

21 minutes ago, Muggy said:

Agree with this even if Holt did struggle at Premiership level. His lack of technical ability seemed to let him down but defends fairly well. Would rather have him than Marshall tbh.

Agree with this though. Marshall seems incredibly limited - cracking cross yesterday mind.