Sign in to follow this  
Ludo*1

Midfielders of The Championship

10 minutes ago, coppola said:

McMullan has 2 assists in 2 games this season, I'd be perfectly happy backing him to get 10 assists and half a dozen goals over the season. Add in his pace and work rate being a fuckin' nuisance for defenders and he's a perfectly adequate winger for a promotion chasing or bottom 6 Prem team. Of course his decision making and final ball are frustrating at times but if he did the right thing every time he wouldn't be playing for Dundee United.

Raging at mysel using "pefectly" twice in 2 sentences. Poor stuff.

Anyway, fully expect McMullan will continue to be a divisive figure for Utd fans and others but come the end of the season I'd bet his production in goals and assists will put him in the top handful of midfielders in the league. 

8 minutes ago, srw said:

Ludo, you seriously voted me down for this? Get a grip man 😂😂

And voted this down, talk about a sensitive wee soul. Want a cuddle?

Are you getting upset about dots? :lol:

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Are you getting upset about dots? :lol:

Nope, just think its a bit bizarre TBH, if I was upset, I would have done the manly internet retaliation and down voted you.

Thinking about it more, have to hold my hands up, including Robertson is ridiculous at this stage. @Dele Still won't find me agreeing on the McMullan front though. :P

1 hour ago, Dele said:

You think he gets a bad rep, I think he's massively overrated. Penrice showed him up for exactly what he is on Friday, a massive fucking fraud. He's absolutely terrible. 

48 minutes ago, Dele said:

I haven't seen anywhere near enough of the Championship to be writing a list of the best ten midfielders from the division out. 

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Same premise as the other threads. Genuinely think this is the hardest list to put together so far.

1. Jamie Ness
2. Paul McMullan
3. Aaron Doran
4. Peter Pawlett
5. Shaun Byrne
6. Tom Walsh
7. Alan Forrest
8. Paul McGowan
9. Finlay Robertson
10. Ryan Dow

Reckon an easy case can be made for the majority of that list to be anywhere in the top 3 spots. I've definitely used a bit of bias picking McGowan and Robertson. Robertson will definitely go on to be a massive player for us and has looked brilliant so far, but maybe a bit early to put him in a list like this - but so far he's been our best midfielder.

I think the problem is the term 'midfielder'. It maybe should be split into attacking and defensive players. I would have Kyle Turner on any list of top ten. Think he will be one of the standout players in the division this season.

I think the problem is the term 'midfielder'. It maybe should be split into attacking and defensive players. I would have Kyle Turner on any list of top ten. Think he will be one of the standout players in the division this season.

His goal was a moment of brilliance from him yesterday. Very talented young player.

1. Stuart Bannigan
2. Aaron Doran
3. Sean Welsh
4. Tom Walsh
5. Paul McGowan
6. Josh Todd
7. Andy Murdoch
8. Kyle Turner
9. Alan Forrest
10. Iain Flannigan

I think I’d would’ve been easier to split it into attacking midfielders, wingers and central midfielders but I’ve done my best to incorporate all of those into the above list.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

1. Stuart Bannigan
2. Aaron Doran
3. Sean Welsh
4. Tom Walsh
5. Paul McGowan
6. Josh Todd
7. Andy Murdoch
8. Kyle Turner
9. Alan Forrest
10. Iain Flannigan

I think I’d would’ve been easier to split it into attacking midfielders, wingers and central midfielders but I’ve done my best to incorporate all of those into the above list.

Based on the start to this season, I wouldn't even have Bannigan in my top 20.

There's obviously a player there (or used to be, pre-injury) and he was very good for us at this level last time around and then in the top flight, but sadly he looks a shell of his former self these days.

1. Stuart Bannigan
2. Aaron Doran
3. Sean Welsh
4. Tom Walsh
5. Paul McGowan
6. Josh Todd
7. Andy Murdoch
8. Kyle Turner
9. Alan Forrest
10. Iain Flannigan

Paul McGowan is fucking shite

Pawlett is about 80% finished. He'd probably get in the top ten, but it'd be close. 

Wouldn't have Byrne tbh. 

Michael Tid  Reece Lyon. What a player. 

Peter Pawlett, Callum Butcher and Ian Harkes as three of the best ten midfielders in the league. 

Two of which can't even get a start at their own club. 

3 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

1. Stuart Bannigan
2. Aaron Doran
3. Sean Welsh
4. Tom Walsh
5. Paul McGowan
6. Josh Todd
7. Andy Murdoch
8. Kyle Turner
9. Alan Forrest
10. Iain Flannigan

Bannigan is done. Couldn't even be arsed chasing the rebound from his woeful free kick at 1-2. And his OG v Clyde was highly embarrassing.