Sign in to follow this  
Ludo*1

Midfielders of The Championship

Same premise as the other threads. Genuinely think this is the hardest list to put together so far.

1. Jamie Ness
2. Paul McMullan
3. Aaron Doran
4. Peter Pawlett
5. Shaun Byrne
6. Tom Walsh
7. Alan Forrest
8. Paul McGowan
9. Finlay Robertson
10. Ryan Dow

Reckon an easy case can be made for the majority of that list to be anywhere in the top 3 spots. I've definitely used a bit of bias picking McGowan and Robertson. Robertson will definitely go on to be a massive player for us and has looked brilliant so far, but maybe a bit early to put him in a list like this - but so far he's been our best midfielder.

Just now, Dele said:

Paul McMullan?! :lol:

Think he gets a bad rep, he rips teams apart. Just lacks a bit of the final ball, but he'll be massively important for Dundee United this season and he's arguably United's second danger man behind Shankland.

You think he gets a bad rep, I think he's massively overrated. Penrice showed him up for exactly what he is on Friday, a massive fucking fraud. Give him two yards of space between you and him and all he will ever do is try to knock it past you. Woeful. Lauded in Scotland because he can run fast, it passes folk by that he can't actually deliver a ball. Or pass. Or shoot. Still, he can run fast. 

He's absolutely terrible. 

You think Dundee has 4 of the top 10 midfielders, even allowing for bias, thats just ridiculous, cmon, at least be reasonable.

8 minutes ago, Dele said:

You think he gets a bad rep, I think he's massively overrated. Penrice showed him up for exactly what he is on Friday, a massive fucking fraud. Give him two yards of space between you and him and all he will ever do is try to knock it past you. Woeful. Lauded in Scotland because he can run fast, it passes folk by that he can't actually deliver a ball. Or pass. Or shoot. Still, he can run fast. 

He's absolutely terrible. 

Yet he still managed to notch an assist despite being shown up as a 'massive fucking fraud'. Can't agree with that at all.

Just now, srw said:

You think Dundee has 4 of the top 10 midfielders, even allowing for bias, thats just ridiculous, cmon, at least be reasonable.

What's your 10? Individually, I think they are quality players. Robertson is the only one that I've thrown in for 'the sake of it'.

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

What's your 10? Individually, I think they are quality players. Robertson is the only one that I've thrown in for 'the sake of it'.

Lets be honest, I bet you, like me, don't have a Scooby about the Championship midfielders. I don't know anywhere near enough to pick to the top ten, but Id be absolutely staggered if we had 40%, and the city had 60% of then.

1 minute ago, srw said:

Lets be honest, I bet you, like me, don't have a Scooby about the Championship midfielders. I don't know anywhere near enough to pick to the top ten, but Id be absolutely staggered if we had 40%, and the city had 60% of then.

Not every single midfielder, no - hence the purpose of the thread, but I do know a lot about a sizeable amount. I certainly wouldn't be staggered that the two teams with by far and away the biggest budgets in the league have the best players in their teams.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

What's your 10? 

I haven't seen anywhere near enough of the Championship to be writing a list of the best ten midfielders from the division out. I'd probably end up writing something preposterous out and include somebody like a 16 year old boy, with two professional appearances in it. 

Just now, Dele said:

I haven't seen anywhere near enough of the Championship to be writing a list of the best ten midfielders from the division out. I'd probably end up writing something preposterous out and include somebody like a 16 year old boy, with two professional appearances in it. 

Am I saying these are the definitive 10? I admit in the post that I don't expect Robertson nor McGowan to feature in most people's lists. I don't think it's anywhere near as preposterous as saying McMullan is a 'terrible player' tbh.

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

Am I saying these are the definitive 10? I admit in the post that I don't expect Robertson nor McGowan to feature in most people's lists. I don't think it's anywhere near as preposterous as saying McMullan is a 'terrible player' tbh.

I'm pretty sure quite a few posters will agree with my description of McMullan, tbh. I doubt many, if any, will agree that a boy who has played about 40 minutes of decent football in his career is one of the top players in the division. 

Just now, Dele said:

I'm pretty sure quite a few posters will agree with my description of McMullan, tbh. I doubt many, if any, will agree that a boy who has played about 40 minutes of decent football in his career is one of the top players in the division. 

Again - you seem to be intentionally missing the point. Again - I disagree on your description of McMullan and reckon most teams would have him in their squads in this league.

Missing what point? You've wrote who you believe to be the best ten midfielders in this league out and have included a 16 year old who hasn't even played consistently well for 90 minutes in it - "for the sake of it". 

I get that making lists is your 'shtick' on here, but don't get offended when folk pull you up for it. 

Just now, Dele said:

Missing what point? You've wrote who you believe to be the best ten midfielders in this league out and have included a 16 year old who hasn't even played consistently well for 90 minutes in it - "for the sake of it". 

I get that making lists is your 'shtick' on here, but don't get offended when folk pull you up for it. 

You're just talking absolute pish now.

'Shtick' - FFS. :lol:

McMullan has 2 assists in 2 games this season, I'd be perfectly happy backing him to get 10 assists and half a dozen goals over the season. Add in his pace and work rate being a fuckin' nuisance for defenders and he's a perfectly adequate winger for a promotion chasing or bottom 6 Prem team. Of course his decision making and final ball are frustrating at times but if he did the right thing every time he wouldn't be playing for Dundee United.

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

You're just talking absolute pish now.

^^ offended. 

3 minutes ago, coppola said:

McMullan has 2 assists in 2 games this season, I'd be perfectly happy backing him to get 10 assists and half a dozen goals over the season. Add in his pace and work rate being a fuckin' nuisance for defenders and he's a perfectly adequate winger for a promotion chasing or bottom 6 Prem team. Of course his decision making and final ball are frustrating at times but if he did the right thing every time he wouldn't be playing for Dundee United.

He looks an incredibly frustrating player, at times he looks very good, but has significant moments where he looks absolutely clueless. His shot on Friday night was comical, Sunday League players would have done better.

As you say, I guess thats why he is at our level.

29 minutes ago, srw said:

Ludo, you seriously voted me down for this? Get a grip man 😂😂

And voted this down, talk about a sensitive wee soul. Want a cuddle?

Edited by srw