Ayr United vs Queen of the South

Adams & Doohan only pass marks today. The rest poor including Kelly

Kelly wasn’t poor.

I’d say Adams, Doohan, Doc and Kelly had good games whilst Moffat, McCowan were pretty poor. The rest I’d say were pretty meh without making an impact.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He made a terrific early save from Oliver too before he went off. And as much as Fais wants shooting for not squaring to Dobbie for a tap in, that was also a good save.

Anyway, we PLAYED well, especially first half, and especially while Oliver was on. The shape worked with Oliver and El Bak buzzing round Dobbie and Ayr were chasing shadows generally, though I thought Adams was terrific. We should have been at least three up before Ayr scored out of nothing. Its a fabulous strike from Kelly. From main stand I didnt think McCrorie stood a chance but if those behind the goal think he should have saved it then fair enough. Chance arrived in the first place after Mercer lost his footing and the clearance that landed with Kelly wasnt good enough.

Second half wasnt as good but we improved when Hamilton came on and he was unlucky with that header. Equally McCrorie made a great save from someone (Docherty?).

Its a harsh defeat. We didnt deserve to lose but if you dont take your chances then thats what happens. 😧

Can't disagree with any of this, I also thought, like you, that Ayr could easily have been 2 or 3 down but for a combination of poor finishing and good goalkeeping by Doohan.

If it's any consolation You looked a hundred times better than Morton did against us and you totally stopped us playing so tactics were spot on. There's no doubt it was a smash and grab for us but I'm sure we'll lose some games over the season which we dominate so we'll take it, however our players will need to raise their game for Firhill next week if we want to take anything.

41 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Well I was at that game too chief - I reckon if we'd been two down at half time it would've been fair.

Second half was slightly better as the game opened up but I though it was Ayr that struggled to create clear chances. Got into some really nice areas but moff and mccowan had off days, and Forrest wasn't much better.

Queens had all the best chances, as others have mentioned, the sitter and the second half header were the best but early on we were on the ropes big time (dobbie had a header in the first half that was a good chance and corners were raining down).

We played much better at dens a fortnight ago (not well enough to get anything) but got the breaks today. I'm still feeling generally downbeat about our prospects this season though, winter could be brutal.

Never said Ayr played well, but I don’t recall Queens having many clear cut chances.  They had the better of the first 20 minutes for sure, but we were hardly on the ropes.  But other than the one on one, it was pretty much half chances that never troubled the target or  forced a save from Doohan.  Even the header in the 2nd half had no pace on it - I’d fully expect Doohan to have saved that.  As for the 2nd half, Queens never looked like scoring.

1 hour ago, Mgc1910 said:

Never said Ayr played well, but I don’t recall Queens having many clear cut chances.  They had the better of the first 20 minutes for sure, but we were hardly on the ropes.  But other than the one on one, it was pretty much half chances that never troubled the target or  forced a save from Doohan.  Even the header in the 2nd half had no pace on it - I’d fully expect Doohan to have saved that.  As for the 2nd half, Queens never looked like scoring.

The second half header from Hamilton had plenty of pace on it and was placed right in the bottom corner,  you're understating how good a save it was by Doohan. 

Apart from the shot resulting in Ayr's goal and a second half block that he put over the bar,  I can't recall McCorie having a great deal to do, Doohan was definitely the busier keeper. Ayr's MoM in my opinion for that second half save and a couple of good blocks in the first half when Queens were on top. 

I'd just like to add that the ticketing system seemed to work well today, bought mine in the club shop and no problems with scanning at the turnstile either. 

Didn’t play with particularly well yesterday  , as gaffer said pitch was rather sticky slowing down our slick passing game , same stage last season that team hammered us 5-1, 1-0 3 points let’s move on now to Thistle next week 

Didn’t play with particularly well yesterday  , as gaffer said pitch was rather sticky slowing down our slick passing game , same stage last season that team hammered us 5-1, 1-0 3 points let’s move on now to Thistle next week 
Sticky pitch?

Jeezo.

That sounds like he's making excuses for the players.

11 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Sticky pitch?

Jeezo.

That sounds like he's making excuses for the players.

It was not an excuse for how the team played , it was one of the reasons the team did not play well , he stated the team did not play well and the pitch contributed to it 

I thought McCrorie was unsighted tbh. Will need to see it back first. In any case, I put blame on the person who left the attacker wide open to pick his spot ahead of McCrorie.

Aye we thought Holt switched off for the goal. Wouldn’t blame the keeper but suspect he’d probably be disappointed not to save it as he was very close to it.

Whether Queens could or should have been 3 up, we were definitely on top prior to the goal and had missed several decent chances. About 20 minutes in I said to my mate that this was exactly the sort of game we usually end up losing 1-0....

I wouldn’t be too tough on Faisal for shooting when through on keeper. Having spent much of the last 12 months watching the rest of our team pass up obvious shooting opportunities in favour of trying to pass to Dobbie, it’s refreshing to see someone else prepared to have a go. He missed a couple but expect him to pay his way in goals in due course.

Thought our wingers were a lot deeper than they have been playing, whether that was deliberate and didn't work or they were pushed back I don't know, but it meant we struggled a bit due to it.  

Wee word about Futsal El Bakhtaoui, it's absolutely lovely to see how worked up he gets playing against us, starting (and losing) a fight with Mark Kerr in the Dunfermline TV game and losing his head again with Docherty yesterday, the p***k's p***k.  

Really think some queen's fans were at a different game from me, stand by what I said after the game a draw would have been a fair result but the one bit if top quality in the game won it for us, queen's shaded the first half and were maybe affected by the early substitution they had to make but at no stage did they rip us apart or were all over us as the game went on we got better and and IMO our midfield 3 got more control of the game, yes we won because of a combination of good goal keeping and bad decision making by queen's but some folk or going on like we won in some kind smash and grab fluke it was a pretty even game that could have went either way.

1 minute ago, Superhursy7 said:

Really think some queen's fans were at a different game from me, stand by what I said after the game a draw would have been a fair result but the one bit if top quality in the game won it for us, queen's shaded the first half and were maybe affected by the early substitution they had to make but at no stage did they rip us apart or were all over us as the game went on we got better and and IMO our midfield 3 got more control of the game, yes we won because of a combination of good goal keeping and bad decision making by queen's but some folk or going on like we won in some kind smash and grab fluke it was a pretty even game that could have went either way.

Couldn’t agree more.  Queens had some good possession in the first 20 minutes but created next to nothing with it.  The idea they were dominating the game is laughable.  The moment of quality from Kelly is the only evidence I can offer that 0-0 wouldn’t have been a fair result on the day.  

Couldn’t agree more.  Queens had some good possession in the first 20 minutes but created next to nothing with it.  The idea they were dominating the game is laughable.  The moment of quality from Kelly is the only evidence I can offer that 0-0 wouldn’t have been a fair result on the day.  

Didn’t feel we were ever in much bother from yous tbf? Bar the goal which was coming as soon as mercer slipped. Were certainly better team first half we had at least 3 gilt edge chances along with another 3 good ones, second half id have down as 50/50. All good having chances, but yous took yours, we didn’t. Yous seen it out well second half though, Jamie Adams was excellent.

We’ll play worse and win this season

I couldn’t disagree more. QOS were by far the better team first half and should’ve had 2 or 3 goals. We were lack lustre all game and only really had 2 clear chances, the goal and Forrest’s shot which was well saved. On another day we would’ve lost that and the tone on here would be very different.

3 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

I couldn’t disagree more. QOS were by far the better team first half and should’ve had 2 or 3 goals. We were lack lustre all game and only really had 2 clear chances, the goal and Forrest’s shot which was well saved. On another day we would’ve lost that and the tone on here would be very different.

Agree with this ,QoS were better than I expected and basically did a job on us ,while we were way south of our last two games in terms of performance ,but its going to be like this for us this season , after all half our team are U21 with a couple only 19 . No complaints it is what it is . However we got three point in a six pointer contest which is the crucial bit . Alloa and Arbroath away coming up in September so more of the same would be really pleasing at two very tricky venues .

Yeah I think you two were the ones at a different game. Either that or you can't see through your tinted specs. Thankfully your cameraman clearly saw what everyone else did. I suggest you go have a look at their highlights.

On another day we could have been 4-1 up at HT. If Murray's early strike in on target Doohan isn't getting there. He makes a very good save from Oliver which was going to nestle in the corner. El Bak squares to Dobbie and it's a goal, and if he keeps his later strike down it's a goal.

Ayr had one clear chance and our 'keeper made a good stop. I wouldn't even discredit the goal by saying it was a clear cut opportunity or it takes away from the strike IMO.

Ayr scored and that's all that matters. But don't kid yourselves on that we offered nothing going forward.

31 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Us being poor doesn’t make the opposition good.  The highlights package confirms my own recollection of the game.  Hardly any quality in the game from either side.