The Mighty Mo V Airdrie

4 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Just back home and it was a very narrow win. Nothing between the teams for much of the first half with both sides snatching at occasional chances. It was a  great save by the home goalie but we could not agree on who fired in the shot( Fordyce?) and that looked like the only close thing in that half. It was a long clearance by Airdrie and Dillon did seem to dally which let Smith get in front of him. None of us expected anything (from the faraway stand) and it was a surprise when the award came. It can only have been because the assistant deemed his contact with Smith was not a genuine attempt to play the ball ( new rule this season) and thus a penalty and Red card. I would have been annoyed if given against us but we have had a few dodgy ones already. The blootering of the ball into the stratosphere was probably seen as correct to the home fans, but it was dire to us. The second half let Airdrie go with two upfront and I thought we did deserve the goal . However after that it was all Montrose and those free kicks were really close-we did waste  many corners as well but I will take the ugly three points.  Our hybrid PT/FT mix does not give us much of an edge over a well organised PT side . The four changes made from last week were needed but it was quite a cautious approach a usual. This Jury is still out on our creative/attacking control but the back four were solid and Smith looks really good. Still not convinced with Wedderburn but thought Roberts had a good game. The  two alleged wingers rarely broke through.  A similar start to last season in reverse -lose to Forfar/beat Montrose. We look like  a top four team but alas so does everyone else !

Now for the Bully wee and more penalties and todays Ref was on a par with most officials in  our League.

Once we scored  Montrose, to their credit, decided to have a real go and panic set in - any semblance of playing football disappeared and it was hard to tell who had the 11 men - until we regained control for the last 5-10 minutes. HOWEVER - I will take those 3 points any day of the week - and you can take nothing for granted against 10 men - remember Raith Rovers last year?

39 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Once we scored  Montrose, to their credit, decided to have a real go and panic set in - any semblance of playing football disappeared and it was hard to tell who had the 11 men - until we regained control for the last 5-10 minutes. HOWEVER - I will take those 3 points any day of the week - and you can take nothing for granted against 10 men - remember Raith Rovers last year?

Usually in a cold sweat at about 4am. 

52 minutes ago, Scorge said:

Sadly less than impressed with a few of the badger baiting idiots in the away support, who have almost certainly consigned the next game to segregation through a lack of common sense. 

I can't comment on what you say as I was in the stand but it would be disappointing to let a few , waste it for the many. 

4 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I can't comment on what you say as I was in the stand but it would be disappointing to let a few , waste it for the many. 

I had a good crack with some of the Airdrie fans last season, but the young crew today had an agenda which didn’t do Airdrie any favours 

13 minutes ago, dextermorgan said:

Think the highlights will show Dillon putting a hand on Smith's shoulder as he was running to goal. Seen them given and not, but as a team we have had worse decisions against us this season already.

It’s all swings and roundabouts my friend, but the same Lino made a same shift decision when we played Forfar 3 weeks ago.

I reckon he hates Dillo, or the Mo?

Kudos, fair report which pretty much covered everything I wanted to say about the game. Was one of the handful who went to the beach end first half so didn't see the penalty close but looked soft even from there. Can't fault the effort from out team today, did what they could with the iffy hand they were dealt. Sadly less than impressed with a few of the badger baiting idiots in the away support, who have almost certainly consigned the next game to segregation through a lack of common sense. 

It was those pesky Chelsea fans and tommy Robinson...

first contacts outside the box

Sending-off offences

denying a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent whose overall movement is towards the offender’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick (unless as outlined below)

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offender is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.

its a freekick outside box and can only be punished with a yellow card. The ref gave he penalty from 40 yards away the linesman gives nothin (from 15 yards away) doesnt raise this flag doesnt move to the corner flag  until the ref reaches the penalty spot BUT  there is not goalscoring oppertunity as the all goes straight to the keeper.

red.png

7 minutes ago, MontroseMedia said:

Sending-off offences

denying a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent whose overall movement is towards the offender’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick (unless as outlined below)

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offender is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.

its a freekick outside box and can only be punished with a yellow card. The ref gave he penalty from 40 yards away the linesman gives nothin (from 15 yards away) doesnt raise this flag doesnt move to the corner flag  until the ref reaches the penalty spot BUT  there is not goalscoring oppertunity as the all goes straight to the keeper.

red.png

VAR required!

9 minutes ago, el Gringo said:

The ball goes straight to the keeper because Smith is fouled - if he doesn't go down, he gets there first.

Whether it was inside the box is academic because the penalty was missed, but if that's a foul it's a red card.

new rules state a goal scoring oppertunity is 1 that happen within the penalty area that incident doesnt not

31 minutes ago, MontroseMedia said:

new rules state a goal scoring oppertunity is 1 that happen within the penalty area that incident doesnt not

Really? So if a "last man challenge" happens 18 yards from goal it's a red card, but if it's 19 yards from goal it's not? That's bonkers.

1 hour ago, MontroseMedia said:

Sending-off offences

red.png

You've gone to the effort of looking up the law but your first 5 words show you haven't read the full document.

I suggest you go back and look at the page before where it explains that if first contact is made outside the box but continues into the box then a penalty kick should he awarded.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever