SSE Scottish Cup 2019

GordonS

Third round this weekend, when the SWPL clubs come in.

A few mismatches, as ever - if you want to give yourself the best chance to see a looooot of goals, get yourself down to Forrester High School in Edinburgh at 1.15pm on Sunday where SWFL 2nd Division South/East club Edinburgh Caledonia host Glasgow City, World Cup veterans and all. In fairness to Caledonia they've scored a lot of goals in their league, but it is fourth tier. West Park Utd v Celtic could get ugly fast too.

On the other hand, Spartans v Aberdeen is probably tie of the day. Tie of the round might be Hibs v Stirling Uni, but with Hibs in Slovakia on Champions League business that match won't be played until next week.

In typically well-organised fashion, the SWF website shows Forfar v Stenhousemuir as cancelled, but Forfar were tweeting to promote it 9 hours ago. Kilwinning have withdrawn and Accies go through there, not great but at least we haven't seen the spate of withdrawals we've had in previous years.

https://scotwomensfootball.com/cup-competitions/sse-scottish-womens-cup/ 

Forfar are saying Stenhousemuir have forfeited the tie. Doesn't look good when two ties are off and you've got Dundee United banned due to forfeiting a tie last year.

I'm attempting a double header. Going to Spartans-Aberdeen then racing across the city for Hearts-Raith Rovers.

West Park United 0-16 Celtic
Spartans 1-2 Aberdeen
Edinburgh Caledonia 0-16 Glasgow City
Motherwell 2-0 Partick Thistle
Dundee City 4-3 St. Mirren
Rangers A-A Glasgow Girls
Hearts 24-0 Raith Rovers
Clyde 4-1 Clark Drive
Queens Park 5-1 Westdyke
Kilmarnock 4-3 East Fife
Dunfermline Athletic 8-2 Stonehaven
St Johnstone 2-0 Boroughmuir Thistle
Hutchison Vale P-P Inverness CT

On 10/08/2019 at 23:48, La_Leyenda said:

Forfar are saying Stenhousemuir have forfeited the tie. Doesn't look good when two ties are off and you've got Dundee United banned due to forfeiting a tie last year.

I'm attempting a double header. Going to Spartans-Aberdeen then racing across the city for Hearts-Raith Rovers.

You chose well!

Genuine question, after all the attention the WC got does anyone know if domestic attendances have increased at all? I’m going to guess not based on what I see on Twitter. Everyone that was ‘really into’ the game hasn’t said a peep about the women's season. 

Hibs' Scottish Cup tie attracted a very decent crowd midweek and Celtic v Rangers did as well.

From my experience the majority of games were being played in front of crowds of 30-40 people and the media attention was minimal. I don't think the BBC have posted goal highlights since the break either.

16 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

Genuine question, after all the attention the WC got does anyone know if domestic attendances have increased at all? I’m going to guess not based on what I see on Twitter. Everyone that was ‘really into’ the game hasn’t said a peep about the women's season. 

A couple of the journalists/ social media guys who've been covering women's football for a long time have been bemoaning the fact that all those mainstream journalists who turned up for the World Cup haven't been seen since. I didn't expect much change in attendances for run-of-the-mill league games, but I wonder if we'll see bigger crowds for the national team on Friday and the two European ties in September. Hibs playing at Easter Road might help, though I fear they could get a skelping. 

15 hours ago, AndyRoss said:

Hibs' Scottish Cup tie attracted a very decent crowd midweek and Celtic v Rangers did as well.

From my experience the majority of games were being played in front of crowds of 30-40 people and the media attention was minimal. I don't think the BBC have posted goal highlights since the break either.

A large % of the 30/40 will be friends and family you would imagine. Agreed with the comments about journalists etc all jumping on the WC to promote themselves while clearly not giving a toss about the game beyond big tournaments.

I would say that's very likely to be the case. Since stepping away from my role with Motherwell I've yet to be at a game since the break (mainly due to clashes with my own work). It's pretty hard to keep up to date with what's going on and I guess as a result keeping up my interest has been difficult. 

Edited by AndyRoss

• 1 month later...

Glasgow City vs. Hibs in the final is hardly a surprise.

Final played at Tynecastle this year, but if teh turn out at the semis is anything to go by (about 350 in the Rangers/City game and 230 in the Hibs/Motherwell game) I doubt we will see crowd breaking 1,000.