Earliest ever Scottish Cup postponement?

HibeeJibee

LTHV v Wigtown in PR1 has been postponed tomorrow. Despite conditions Edinburgh Leisure cut the grass yesterday, churning it up badly - and subsequent heavy rain has already put paid to the tie.

This must be the earliest a Scottish Cup tie has been postponed in history? Postponements in August are almost unknown... plus until recent years, only a few ties in Victorian times were played before September. Since the prelims began a variety of ties have been played in August (as was R1 back in 2012-13) - but none of those ties or replays were postponed.

So by my reckoning this is the earliest-ever?

Prior to 2012, I can only find 3 Scottish Cup tournament proper matches played in August, all of which were in the 1880s.

27/08/1881 - Hibs 7-0 Addiewell
31/08/1889 - Lochwinnoch 1-10 Abercorn
31/08/1889 - West Calder 2-9 Broxburn

So unless any of those were postponed for three weeks, it definitely seems likely that this weekend's two ties were the earliest.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/08/2019 at 08:11, craigkillie said:

Prior to 2012, I can only find 3 Scottish Cup tournament proper matches played in August, all of which were in the 1880s.

27/08/1881 - Hibs 7-0 Addiewell
31/08/1889 - Lochwinnoch 1-10 Abercorn
31/08/1889 - West Calder 2-9 Broxburn

So unless any of those were postponed for three weeks, it definitely seems likely that this weekend's two ties were the earliest.

Impressive research. I have never heard of Addiewell and had no idea Lochwinnoch had a team.