Ludo*1

Strikers of The Championship

Dundee noobs laughing at Dobbie. Wait and see.

Did he not put them out a cup last season?

Any Dundee fan doing so either has a very short memory or is a complete moron. Dobbie absolutely loves a goal against that mob. One of his best goals for us was actually in the quarter final game at Palmerston all those years ago against them. His goal was overshadowed by McCann's 84 yarder but Dobbie's was a thing of absolute beauty.

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Did he not put them out a cup last season?

Dobbie 3-0 Dundee 

2 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Who was laughing? I certainly wasn't. I don't want my team to share a pitch with that man again unless he's wearing the dark blue.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

Yeah I don’t see any Dundee fan mocking Dobbie. I had him top of my list on the first page.

It’s Utd fans who seem to think slab hade is a better player than Dobbie.

Obviously I'm already in love with Shankland and his 50p heid but I couldn't be having him as a better player than Dobbie yet. Dobbie is class and has been for years. That being said if I had to pick one I'll take Shankland due to his age, potential sell on fee etc.

Hemmings 3rd choice, the rest are varying degrees of average. 

22 hours ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Firing up until Christmas and then only 6 goals from January til end of season...

Not arguing about who is better, but this only scored 6 from January is correct its a case of half the story, picking and choosing stats to make a point rather than the full story.

He scored 6 from January which is correct, BUT he only made 13 appearances. That was after injury and, Ayr fans will confirm, McCall rushed him back to try and keep the challenge going at the top of the league. Its nowhere near the strike-rate of pre-January its the equivalent of a 17 goal season which isn't bad if half fit. Over all in the league played 1 more game than Dobbie yet scored 4 more goals.

Since he joined Ayr in the 1st, there has been a change in attitude and application from him. Dropping to that level was probably the best thing for him, allowing him to develop without pressure. Done it in that league, now the Championship, and if this season continues the Championship for a second season (🙏). No reason he wouldn't do it at Premiership, although not at the same goal scoring rate as I'd doubt the team would make as many opportunities as at present.

As for Dobbie, never really thought he was anything special at St Johnstone or Hibs.  He really does not have a great goal scoring record down south either, but as I've not watched him down south, other than odd highlights, he must have shown other qualities up front. However at QOS 1st time and now he scores for fun and very consistent with it. One player you hate getting the ball near the box.  He may be  a warning to Shankland though, scoring for fun in Scottish Championship but being good but unspectacular elsewhere.

That turned into a ramble, sorry guys, for now Dobbie now due to 3 previous season of 19,17 & 21 goals in league against 1 season of 24.

Edited by Tannadeechee

Not arguing about who is better, but this only scored 6 from January is correct its a case of half the story, picking and choosing stats to make a point rather than the full story.
He scored 6 from January which is correct, BUT he only made 13 appearances. That was after injury and, Ayr fans will confirm, McCall rushed him back to try and keep the challenge going at the top of the league. Its nowhere near the strike-rate of pre-January its the equivalent of a 17 goal season which isn't bad if half fit. Over all in the league played 1 more game than Dobbie yet scored 4 more goals.
Since he joined Ayr in the 1st, there has been a change in attitude and application from him. Dropping to that level was probably the best thing for him, allowing him to develop without pressure. Done it in that league, now the Championship, and if this season continues the Championship for a second season (). No reason he wouldn't do it at Premiership, although not at the same goal scoring rate as I'd doubt the team would make as many opportunities as at present.
As for Dobbie, never really thought he was anything special at St Johnstone or Hibs.  He really does not have a great goal scoring record down south either, but as I've not watched him down south, other than odd highlights, he must have shown other qualities up front. However at QOS 1st time and now he scores for fun and very consistent with it. One player you hate getting the ball near the box.  He may be  a warning to Shankland though, scoring for fun in Scottish Championship but being good but unspectacular elsewhere.
That turned into a ramble, sorry guys, for now Dobbie now due to 3 previous season of 19,17 & 21 goals in league against 1 season of 24.

He wasn't deployed as an out and out striker down south though which reflects the stats. Even in the play-off games where he scored he was playing in midfield.

Queen of the South fans: Dobbie is definitely the best striker in the league because he has 'proven himself at a higher level' south of the border.

Also Queen of the South fans: Eh but you can't actually judge Dobbie by his miserable goals tally south of the border because he wasn't actually playing as a forward at all (because he wasn't good enough to play that position).

Make your mind up please.  

Queen of the South fans: Dobbie is definitely the best striker in the league because he has 'proven himself at a higher level' south of the border.
Also Queen of the South fans: Eh but you can't actually judge Dobbie by his miserable goals tally south of the border because he wasn't actually playing as a forward at all (because he wasn't good enough to play that position).
Make your mind up please.  
Dobbie had a successful career south of the border but was deployed mainly as an attacking midfielder rather than an out and out striker. Not sure what's so difficult to understand about that tbh.

...so his career south of the border is irrelevant to the premise of this thread then. 

...so his career south of the border is irrelevant to the premise of this thread then. 
Pretty much. He's the best striker in this league regardless of his achievements south of the border ;)

On 09/08/2019 at 12:51, BukyOHare said:

I don't get the regular mentions for Nicky Clark in this thread. Of the limited times I've seen him both live and on tv for Utd he seems to have a dreadful touch, regularly gives the ball away and generally attacking moves often breakdown when he's involved in the build up.

Apologies if that's totally wide of the mark or there are other factors, for example being played out of position.

On 09/08/2019 at 13:34, Estragon IS NOT a fud said:

Must just be me seeing as everyone else has him in their top 10, but Nicky Clark is complete guff  IMO. Utterly useless outside the penalty box. Boys got a first touch like John Leslie

He's scored 36 goals over the past two seasons, despite United inexplicably playing him on the left.

Wish we had more guff players like him tbh.

43 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

He's scored 36 goals over the past two seasons, despite United inexplicably playing him on the left.

So do you agree with my points or not? I did apologise if he was playing out of position but that in my opinion, he has a poor first touch, regularly gives the ball away and moves he's involved in regularly break down.

11 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

So do you agree with my points or not? I did apologise if he was playing out of position but that in my opinion, he has a poor first touch, regularly gives the ball away and moves he's involved in regularly break down.

I think it's stupid to play him in any position other than as a poacher. Unfair to judge players when they're played out of position.

I think a fully fit Nicky Clark, playing as a traditional centre forward every week, scores 15-20 goals a season at this level. His issue is that he doesn't really do a lot else but put the ball in the net, which seems to put some people off him.

Dobbie is clearly the one who's done it consistently at this level and is top IMHO.

Next it's a toss up between Hemmings and Shankland - difficult to compare as although Shankland has a barrel of goals in the last few seasons he hasn't (yet) done it at a higher level (as Hemmings has done).

Don't know enough about the other strikers except Dundee's and Doolan who is I think now past his best. Andrew Nelson has not had that many starts but shows a lot of potential to be a very good striker - would certainly consider him for a top 10 place. I think Danny Johnson is also more than capable of playing at a higher level - nowhere near as talented as Hemmings but clearly has an eye for goal. Certainly I would argue that Dundee's 3 striking options are probably the best in the division.

Dobbie is different gravy to anything else in the division. Anyone who disagrees is wrong.

It’s Dobbie and the fact that it’s being debated is laughable.

4 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

He's played two games on the left wing during that time. Both of which we've won, scoring six goals in the process. He's being kept out of his preferred position by one guy who's miles better than him and another who is a much better foil for the top guy (and who will almost certainly go on to show that he's a better player than Clark in his own right). It's a compliment to Clark that Neilson has decided he's worth keeping in the team in a slightly less comfortable position.  He'll likely be dropped entirely soon. I like Clark but he's just not as good as the guys in possession.

Hopefully it's a bit less inexplicable now. 

Edited by Pull My Strings