Ludo*1

Strikers of The Championship

On 09/08/2019 at 18:37, parsforlife said:

Don't know what Nelson has done to even get a shout, he was just another of falkirk’s 250 absolute nobodies they’ve signed in the last 3 years.

He wins games, pal.

Aye generally, a good striker won’t suddenly make you a good team, as you point out, put them with 10 jobbers and you’ll still be shit.

That however doesn’t change the general idea that we currently have a good amount of talented strikers this season. Maybe managers are also relying too much on their attack.

1) Dobbie
Big gap
2)Hemmings
Slightly smaller gap
3) Shankland
4) nisbit
5) clark (based on pure talent, however will be ineffective if neilson continues to refuse to play 2 up front)
6) Johnston
7) moff
8 ) trouten
9) miller
10) doolan(slightly harsh, but I just don’t think he’ll feel comfortable away from thistle)

Don’t know what nelson has done to even get a shout, he was just another of falkirk’s 250 absolute nobodies they’ve signed in the last 3 years.

Nelson scored today.

Lawrance Shankland is the best centre forward in this division . Finished top scorer in the Championship and Betfred Cup last season . Can go with the left ,the right or in the air . Close range or forty yards ,penalties or free kicks  ,the lot . DU are just wakening up to this lad ,there is much more to come and he'll take the undoubted step up next season in his stride .

Can go with the left ,the right or in the air . Close range or forty yards ,penalties or free kicks  ,the lot .

You've just described Dobbie. Except he's done that at a far far higher level than Shankland has yet to.

1 hour ago, railwayend said:

Lawrance Shankland is the best centre forward in this division . Finished top scorer in the Championship and Betfred Cup last season . Can go with the left ,the right or in the air . Close range or forty yards ,penalties or free kicks  ,the lot . DU are just wakening up to this lad ,there is much more to come and he'll take the undoubted step up next season in his stride .

Firing up until Christmas and then only 6 goals from January til end of season...

45 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:
2 hours ago, railwayend said:

You Queens fans can go with Dobbie all you like ,and you do have a case .However LS is out on his own at Championship level . The goals are only a part of it .  The Scotland shirt isn't far away . Next season perhaps ....

1 minute ago, railwayend said:

The Scotland shirt isn't far away . 

:lol:

Hey, if Brophy can get a cap anything is possible.

You Queens fans can go with Dobbie all you like ,and you do have a case .However LS is out on his own at Championship level . The goals are only a part of it .  The Scotland shirt isn't far away . Next season perhaps ....

He won’t get near a Scotland shirt whilst he’s in this league. Had he actually moved down South and done well then maybe he’d get a call up but he chose the easy way out.

10. You
9. Can't
8. Rate
7. Different
6. Strikers
5. In
4. An
3. Arbitrary
2. List
1. Bob McHugh

Greenied but you're just being a fun sponge.

"out on his own" He scored 3 more goals than a player 13 years older than him, hardly head and shoulders abovem Shankland was also playing in a far better side than Dobbie. If the players were switched are you honestly trying to say Dobbie wouldn't have at the very least matched LS goal tally?

57 minutes ago, railwayend said:

I appreciate trying reason with someone who thinks Shankland is on the brink of an international call up is probably pointless but more fool me, I'll have a go.

We have "a case" because he's been quite clearly the best striker at this level for 3 years now. Shankland is the only one to come close. And he was, for half a season, very very good last season and appears to have started this season pretty well too with 4 goals v ICT, a nice team goal at Hearts and another, albeit fortunate finish, at Thistle. However, his second half of last season was decidedly average and he has proved nothing at all at any level above this. Shankland's link up play is very under-rated but Dobbie is outstanding at that too. so the "goals are only part of it" line is redundant.

Whatever you may think, and you're absolutely entitled to think Shankland is already the better player if you want (even though you are wrong 😉), it's clearly nonsense to suggest he is "out on his own at Championship level". If he's better then it's by a coin flip. He's obviously going to get better. Dobbie's career is winding down. But Shankland hasn't achieved a fraction of what Dobbie has yet. His fellow professionals didn't agree with you at the end of the season anyway.

4 minutes ago, pandarilla said:
54 minutes ago, KabbaCharming said:
10. You
9. Can't
8. Rate
7. Different
6. Strikers
5. In
4. An
3. Arbitrary
2. List
1. Bob McHugh

Greenied but you're just being a fun sponge.

Thank you, here is a real list for you then -

1. Dobbie

2. Shankland (but may be 1st if he keeps up his start)

3. Johnson

4. Hemmings (he called me a c**t once so being harsh till he proves he is still good)

5. Sutton (been looking good)

6. Nisbit

7. Moffatt

8. Miller (undoubtedly the best over his career though)

9. Nelson

10. Linn

Kris Doolan, and I hope I'm very wrong here, has done very little of note so far at Ayr. There is a player in there somewhere, McCall just needs to help him find it. Would say he's our fourth choice striker at present behind Moffat, McCowan and Forrest who have started well as a front 3.  (Forrest could be argued as an attacking mid / winger but its all semantics.)
Might be a DKB but, I quite liked the look of Muirhead on Saturday for Morton, best defender in the first half and looked like their best attacker in the second. As the season goes on I think he'll become very important for them and may even make this list. 

Based on players I've seen live I'd go with

1. Dobbie
2. Moffat
3. Shankland 
4. White
5. Nisbet
6. Clark
7. Johnson
8. Trouten
9.  Nelson
10. Muirhead

Honourable mentions - Alan Forrest & Luke McCowan
Muirhead?!??!

Dobbie is an Actual Football Player, class above just about anything else in the division... but age is age.

A fit and confident Shankland should bust this league, as he did before Christmas last season... but there is no guarantee he'll do anything at the next level.

Dundee surely have the best combination: Hemmings and Johnson, with Nelson floating in and out, should also bust this league.

Bob McShug, though, is an absolute fuckin charmer... and who knows, maybe his time has come at last.

Thank you.