Ludo*1

Strikers of The Championship

Define 'best'?  Top scorer or best conversion rate? Top scorer will be between Shankland and Hemmings but Dobbie will probably have the best conversation rate again.

If we’re going on conversion rates then Moff probably ain’t even in the top 20 with the amount of chances he misses.

For me, its all round skill and scoring tally.  And I think Dobbie is better than anyone else in those 2 categories.  Even at the age of 51.

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

For me, its all round skill and scoring tally.  And I think Dobbie is better than anyone else in those 2 categories.  Even at the age of 51.

I heard he lied on his birth certificate and he's really in his early 60s.

I went on overall contribution, Moffat was very much the fan to Shankland's sails last season. His link up play and vision was exceptional. This year he's continued in the same vein but remembered how to bang them in again. 

There can be only one 😇

29668BE8-7077-4B23-9FF0-7F2F245949C5.jpeg.4d2600614f8f7ecdaac0a50b42f62676.jpeg

2 hours ago, Hawk89 said:

Might be a DKB but, I quite liked the look of Muirhead on Saturday for Morton, best defender in the first half and looked like their best attacker in the second. As the season goes on I think he'll become very important for them and may even make this list. 

Based on players I've seen live I'd go with

1. Dobbie
2. Moffat
3. Shankland 
4. White
5. Nisbet
6. Clark
7. Johnson
8. Trouten
9.  Nelson
10. Muirhead

Honourable mentions - Alan Forrest & Luke McCowan

^Most definitely did not visit East End this season. Muirhead is honking.

Will have a tenner on him scoring against us mind. 

48 minutes ago, parxyz said:

^Most definitely did not visit East End this season. Muirhead is honking.

Will have a tenner on him scoring against us mind. 

Correct, didn't make it upto East End last year, so was simply going on what I had seen of him on Saturday. Was Morton's best defender when he started a LB. 

I don't get the regular mentions for Nicky Clark in this thread. Of the limited times I've seen him both live and on tv for Utd he seems to have a dreadful touch, regularly gives the ball away and generally attacking moves often breakdown when he's involved in the build up.

Apologies if that's totally wide of the mark or there are other factors, for example being played out of position.

Edited by BukyOHare

20 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I don't get the regular mentions for Nicky Clark in this thread. Of the limited times I've seen him both live and on tv for Utd he seems to have a dreadful touch, regularly gives the ball away and generally attacking moves often breakdown when he's involved in the build up.

Apologies if that's totally wide of the mark or there are other factors, for example being played out of position.

As much as it pains me to say it, when Clark was taken out of our team (alongside Aird and McManus) we lost that player who could finish the easy chances, and our goals dried up. As far as finishers go, he's definitely up there. He's not a complete striker like Dobbie, Shankland etc so I can see why you're doubtful but he'll get the job done inside the 18YB.

I think Stephen Dobbie is the best player in the division and by a decent amount as well.

I only really have any knowledge on a few; Dobbie, Shankland, Nisbet, Nicky Clark, Kris Doolan, Michael Moffat. All decent enough strikers. Hemmings I only really remember him at Cowdenbeath when he and Greg Stewart kept them in the Championship. As far as I can tell he's never really kicked on since apart from a decent season at Dundee in the top division, be interesting to see how he does this year.

3 minutes ago, parxyz said:

As much as it pains me to say it, when Clark was taken out of our team (alongside Aird and McManus) we lost that player who could finish the easy chances, and our goals dried up. As far as finishers go, he's definitely up there. He's not a complete striker like Dobbie, Shankland etc so I can see why you're doubtful but he'll get the job done inside the 18YB.

Correct.  Played as a striker he’ll do a good job at this level.  Can see him spending a lot of time on the bench this season once Pawlett is back fit.

Strikers are vastly overrated IMO. The only time that we've had a forward breaking double figures in the last five seasons was Denny Johnstone (14) in 2016. despite this we still reached the play-offs with Ross Forbes (9) as our top scorer and have finished above the Stephen Dobbie + ten other ringers outfit quite comfortably every season.

Nicky Cadden will probably end up our top scorer this season with ten goals.

Now that Shankland no longer plays for us I can freely admit that Dobbie is the best player in the league.

VT is probably right though. If you’ve got someone in your team that can score around 10 goals a season and keep the rest of your team relatively solid then you’ll be ok. This showed when QOTS and Falkirk both had really good strikers last season but the rest of their team was pretty shite with the exception of 1 or 2 players.

I’ve no idea if anyone will break double figures for us this season but hopefully Doolan, Moffat, Forrest, McCowan, McGuffie and Kelly can all get a reasonable amount between them to make up the difference.

Strikers are vastly overrated IMO.

Aye generally, a good striker won’t suddenly make you a good team, as you point out, put them with 10 jobbers and you’ll still be shit.

That however doesn’t change the general idea that we currently have a good amount of talented strikers this season. Maybe managers are also relying too much on their attack.

1) Dobbie

Big gap

2)Hemmings

Slightly smaller gap

3) Shankland

4) nisbit

5) clark (based on pure talent, however will be ineffective if neilson continues to refuse to play 2 up front)

6) Johnston

7) moff

8 ) trouten

9) miller

10) doolan(slightly harsh, but I just don’t think he’ll feel comfortable away from thistle)

Don’t know what nelson has done to even get a shout, he was just another of falkirk’s 250 absolute nobodies they’ve signed in the last 3 years.

It doesn't count if they weren't there at the start of the season.
You dinna count

Nisbet being placed quite high based on 40 minutes of winning knock ons ahead of a crippled Meekings. 

Just how shite is this league? :lol: