Goalkeepers of The Championship

11 minutes ago, Flash said:

Ferguson has conceded 20 goals in 8 games, an average of 2.5 goals per game. Over a normal season, that would be 90 goals. So, if we don’t have the worst goalkeeper, I’m wondering what the goals against figure would look like if we did. 

Because goalkeepers are entirely and solely responsible for the goals conceded column.

Fon Williams has made some good saves and for 80% of the time he looks a solid big keeper. He does make too many blunders and they always end up in the back of the net he does it.

The Raith goal was a shocker and the one he let in against QOS when McKee scored from 25 yards, showed a another lack of concentration with a saveable long range shot. He had a bit of a mare against Raith at Starks too. 

He's better than Scully and Gill but still not good enough. I think we need to look elsewhere for a keeper for next season. Our recent keepers have been pretty poor. Think we maybe need to look outside the Scottish market to find a solution.

Edited by Chubbychops

16 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Fon Williams has made some good saves and for 80% of the time he looks a solid big keeper. He does make too many blunders and they always end up in the back of the net he does it.

The Raith goal was a shocker and the one he let in against QOS when McKee scored from 25 yards, showed a another lack of concentration with a saveable long range shot. He had a bit of a mare against Raith at Starks too. 

He's better than Scully and Gill but still not good enough. I think we need to look elsewhere for a keeper for next season. Our recent keepers have been pretty poor. Think we maybe need to look outside the Scottish market to find a solution.

We haven’t had a decent keeper since murdoch,  and even then you can probably only count when he was fully fit.  

21 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Because goalkeepers are entirely and solely responsible for the goals conceded column.

Exactly my point. If Ferguson is keeping the scores down, the rest of the defending must be absolutely grim.

18 minutes ago, Flash said:

Exactly my point. If Ferguson is keeping the scores down, the rest of the defending must be absolutely grim.

Fair enough, though you were using the conceded numbers to just blindly claim the keeper must be shite and to blame 

1. Craig Gordon
2. Jamie MacDonald
3. Neil Parry
4. Viljami Sinisalo
5. Aidan McAdams
6. Mark Rodgers
7. Derek Gaston
8. Owain Fon Williams
9. Rohan Ferguson
10. Jack Hamilton

Gordon and MacDonald are the top two goalkeepers and by some way as well. I’ve always liked Parry from seeing him in League One. Sinisalo has the best stats going for goalies according to the SPFL website although a lot of that is down to how poor our defending can be and how much we have relied on him. He very rarely catches crosses although most of the time his punches are strong enough to get the ball away. He’s had a handful of blunders this season most notably the Trouten free kick and Kingsleys free kick at Tynecastle. I still think he’s pretty good.

The rest are all a bit meh apart from Jack Hamilton who everyone knows is shite.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

How's your subbie keeper?

Robbie Thompson is probably the best sub keeper outwith Hearts IMO, he's not on Mcdonalds level but likewise he's probably not the worst keeper in the division. Raith have great strength in goals. 

Wish we had that. 

Just now, Grant228 said:

Robbie Thompson is probably the best sub keeper outwith Hearts IMO, he's not on Mcdonalds level but likewise he's probably not the worst keeper in the division. Raith have great strength in goals. 

Wish we had that. 

I wish Dundee just had 1 competent keeper tbh.

Wish we had that. 
We've also got David McGurn still registered too. Admittedly, we're all paranoid wrecks after our experience with goalkeeper injuries over the last decade. As RATM says, we're unparalleled with our problems on that front historically.

35 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

I'd say Macdonald has been at fault for 3 of the 6 goals raith have conceded against us this season.

Which ones?

3/2/21

1 - McManus through one on one, slots past him. 
2 - A low hard shot across him from pretty close range that goes in off the inside of the post. 
3 - A free kick from 25 yards that goes in the top corner off the bar. 
4 - A shot from outside the box that deflects of Davidson literally yards in front of him and goes high into the net.  

5/12/20

1 - Boy cuts inside and shoots into the bottom corner. Musonda very obviously unsights him here. 
2- A volley from McManus which arrows past him at a fair rate of knots.

For me, he’s perhaps at fault for one - the first in the first game, but even then Musonda gets in his way and I think he probably my saves it if he doesn’t.

Edited by Hank Scorpio

44 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

I'd say Macdonald has been at fault for 3 of the 6 goals raith have conceded against us this season.

The first goal at Starks he looked like he could have done better with, although how much of that was down to Musonda unsighting him is up for debate. 

My first thought from viewing the 'highlights' last week's horror show was that he might have done better with the first goal there too, although it wasn't the best camera angle to be certain.

Those two are probably the softest goals he's conceded this season to be fair to him.

10 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:
16 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Wish we had that. 

We've also got David McGurn still registered too. Admittedly, we're all paranoid wrecks after our experience with goalkeeper injuries over the last decade. As RATM says, we're unparalleled with our problems on that front historically.

And Bow on a modern apprentice contract too...belt, suspenders and duct tape.