Goalkeepers of The Championship

13 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
13 hours ago, Highland Capital said:
Mark Ridgers seems to be in the same category as Mark Brown was for us in that for ICT he's excellent but not rated by anyone else.

Personally think Ridgers is an excellent 'keeper.

This. I think Robbie McCrorie is an excellent keeper and I'm delighted he's here for the season but if I had to take another keeper from another Championship side it would undoubtedly be Ridgers.

Don't rate Ridgers at all. In fact, the inspiration for my original idea for this thread is that I don't think I rate any of the keepers in this league that highly. Definite weak point this season. Are many (If any) top flight quality?

Don't rate Ridgers at all. In fact, the inspiration for my original idea for this thread is that I don't think I rate any of the keepers in this league that highly. Definite weak point this season. Are many (If any) top flight quality?
I'm going out on a limb and saying if The Rangers don't give him the no. 1 spot in the next couple of years he'll go down the road to have a good career at a decent level.

8 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
18 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'm going out on a limb and saying if The Rangers don't give him the no. 1 spot in the next couple of years he'll go down the road to have a good career at a decent level.

Admittedly, McCrorie is the one I know absolutely nothing about having never even saw as much as a highlight package.

1 minute ago, Tarmo Kink said:

That was quite the educated opinion to place him at 6th then.

Exactly - Mid place. He's not made a distinct impression on me as being rubbish nor great.

Thanks for the observation.

20 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

I wish I had the ability to judge players having never seen them.

Think you're taking P&B too seriously. I'm not a scout m8. It was just a daft wee list to pass the time in the off-season.

Mark Ridgers played three times for Partick Thistle:
- 45 minutes in a friendly v Lokeren, conceding 4 goals.
- 45 minutes v Celtic, conceding 2 goals.
- Full game v Aberdeen, conceding 6 goals.

Circumstances outwith his control, really, but shipping 12 goals in 180 minutes of football is a pretty impressive achievement.

Looked pretty decent any time I’ve seen him since then, tbf.

6 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Siegrist has been very good so far this season. After a slightly wobbly campaign last year he has been pretty consistent in the games so far.

He will be 3 minutes from beating  Hamish’s shut out, Connolly will come on for an injured Reynolds and within a minute will fall on his arse during his first involvement allowing the opposition to score.

13 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

He will be 3 minutes from beating  Hamish’s shut out, Connolly will come on for an injured Reynolds and within a minute will fall on his arse during his first involvement allowing the opposition to score.

30 seconds after fucking Bell's chance of beating Hamish's record......

nintchdbpict000222120248.jpg

13 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

30 seconds after Bell got hold of him......

image.jpg1_.921624.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 08/08/2019 at 04:58, Ludo*1 said:

Starting this thread because Ayr fans seem to be of the opinion that they have the best keeper in the league with the loan signing of Doohan for another season. Led to me thinking that the goalkeeping talent in the league this coming season is exceptionally low. So I've tried to rank what I think are the top 10 keepers in the league (I've just included the keeper that has played most games so far this season if there's no definitive first choice as of yet). There's certain one's I've not saw in the flesh as of yet so using the power of P&B, we can maybe get a rough agreement.

My list:

1. Benjamin Siegrist
2. Ross Doohan
3. Ryan Scully
4. Neil Parry
5. Jamie Sneddon
6. Robby McCrorie
7. Jack Hamilton
8. Mark Ridgers
9. Darren Jamieson
10. Sam Ramsbottom

Over to you P&B to manipulate the list until we get it into an objective order because mines is far from being accurate.

Almost 18 month later and well, some absolute shockers from my original list. Called Siegrist as the best keeper and he's proving to be one of the best in Scotland. Some absolutely horrendous takes putting Mark Ridgers ahead of him. Oft. 

Putting Scully at number 3 was a fucking horror show from myself in hindsight. Absolutely awful keeper and Parry is comfortably better. To be fair, I compiled this before McCrorie came to prominence  but in all honesty, what a shite selection of keepers. Then the inclusion of Sneddon - does he even play these days?!

Anyways, enough about my shit list from back then - here's another. Have we improved in overall quality since then? I'd like to think so. 

1. Craig Gordon.

2. Jamie MacDonald

3. Neil Parry

4. Aidan McAdams

5. Vijami Sinsalo 

6. Owain Fon Williams

7. Mark Ridgers

8. Derek Gaston

9. Rohan Ferguson

10. Jack Hamilton

Really been impressed with Morton's keeper this season. Parry is just a class act IMO. Sinsalo, I've not watched much but he seems to get rave reviews at Ayr. 

Ridgers position will have the Caley fans frothing again, but I just don't see it.

We were at a low point in Championship goalkeeping ability 18 month ago (Hence the original thread) and we've got rid of absolute shite like Scully, Jamieson, Sneddon & Ramsbottom and replaced them with goalkeepers that can actually be called goalkeepers.

Over to P&B - who's the best behind Gordon? What's your ranking?

I agree standard definitely better than it was a year ago. Although we were damned lucky to have McCrorie for 6 months even if he does seem to have gone backwards a bit at Livi.

Craig Gordon easily the best. Jamie MacDonald easily 2nd to him. Those arent really up for debate. The other 8 more so. Hamilton doesnt seem to have been as bad this season but he is probably still 10th. All I ever see Fon Williams do is make errors. See Raith's goal midweek and Joe McKee's when they played us. You have him far too high at 6, I'd have him 9th. I think Sinsalo a little over-rated by Ayr fans too. He's not as good as Doohan. Bad error on the Trouten goal laat week. He is still very young though. Ferguson's done ok for us. He is a steady hand. Nothing spectacular, no glaring cock ups either. He isnt as good as McCrorie but better than Ross Stewart.

McAdams probably biggest surprise. He has done really well for Morton. Could be 3rd. Which leaves some order of Gaston, Parry and Ridgers in 4-6.

Ferguson has conceded 20 goals in 8 games, an average of 2.5 goals per game. Over a normal season, that would be 90 goals. So, if we don’t have the worst goalkeeper, I’m wondering what the goals against figure would look like if we did. 

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Almost 18 month later and well, some absolute shockers from my original list. Called Siegrist as the best keeper and he's proving to be one of the best in Scotland. Some absolutely horrendous takes putting Mark Ridgers ahead of him. Oft. 

Putting Scully at number 3 was a fucking horror show from myself in hindsight. Absolutely awful keeper and Parry is comfortably better. To be fair, I compiled this before McCrorie came to prominence  but in all honesty, what a shite selection of keepers. Then the inclusion of Sneddon - does he even play these days?!

Anyways, enough about my shit list from back then - here's another. Have we improved in overall quality since then? I'd like to think so. 

1. Craig Gordon.

2. Jamie MacDonald

3. Neil Parry

4. Aidan McAdams

5. Vijami Sinsalo 

6. Owain Fon Williams

7. Mark Ridgers

8. Derek Gaston

9. Rohan Ferguson

10. Jack Hamilton

Really been impressed with Morton's keeper this season. Parry is just a class act IMO. Sinsalo, I've not watched much but he seems to get rave reviews at Ayr. 

Ridgers position will have the Caley fans frothing again, but I just don't see it.

We were at a low point in Championship goalkeeping ability 18 month ago (Hence the original thread) and we've got rid of absolute shite like Scully, Jamieson, Sneddon & Ramsbottom and replaced them with goalkeepers that can actually be called goalkeepers.

Over to P&B - who's the best behind Gordon? What's your ranking?

Obviously Morton did ditch Ramsbottom for Danny Rogers for much of last season.

Quite telling that Ramsbottom was the only player we let go last summer, choosing instead to go with no backup keeper rather than keeping him.

McAdams has been surprisingly largely competent, bar a couple of errors which has been lucky given the aforementioned lack of competition.

We have now signed a ringer from England who is hopefully closer to being an actual goalkeeper than Ramsbottom was if we need to use him.