Goalkeepers of The Championship

Doohan's 'uncharacteristic errors' seem to be occurring on a near weekly basis since the turn of the year: a laughably overrated keeper IMO. Even that total haddy Ramsbottom actually chucked in fewer goals than him on Saturday. 
It's difficult to put anyone at the top from that stack of utter dross, although if McCrorie can reach the level that he managed for us in the first half of this year then he'd be a decent shout. Similar to the Fox situation, Derek Gaston is a generally solid lower-end Championship goalkeeper but would look like Dino fucking Zoff in this list. I'd expect him to become Arbroath's first-choice goalkeeper over the course of the season. 
Ramsbottom is unquestionably worse than even flapper Hamilton, as the former is actually just a beach volleyball player who won a jersey because he's quite big. The lack of basic technique that a goalkeeper normally picks up from an early age is truly staggering; Hamilton is more about chronic lapses in concentration. If our actual first choice keeper is even mediocre for this level then it would be a major improvement to the team. 

“Near weekly basis”

You a regular viewer of AU media highlights then aye?

Ayr were televised on a near weekly basis last season once BBC Scotland picked up the live games - about 30% of that channel's viewable content is Doohan apologising to his team mates after chucking another one in. 

Certainly agree  that the current crop are the worst in a while.  As pointed out we've had the likes of Mcgovern, douglas and mcgurn sharing this league in the past. 

We spent most of last season leaving keepers completely untested so its hard to pick a top performer but there's far too many prone to howlers.

Snedden is comfortably the most talented of the bunch IMO, but if his lack of experience lets him down i've no idea, need to be watching him weekly to judge that. 

Parry is overrated IMO, he's decent but i think if you put him in one of the full time sides he wouldn't be seen as a stand out.  Mind how martin got hero worshiped by dumbarton fans? i don't think it would be that extreme but it would be a similar thing.

Ayr were televised on a near weekly basis last season once BBC Scotland picked up the live games - about 30% of that channel's viewable content is Doohan apologising to his team mates after chucking another one in. 

Ayr United televised matches last season:
Ayr 1-3 Ross County
Dundee Utd 2-1 Ayr
Dunfermline 0-1 Ayr
Falkirk 2-0 Ayr
Ross County 3-2 Ayr
Ayr 1-0 Dundee United
Dundee United 0-5

There’s 3 mistakes in there. So that’s 3 mistakes over 18 games. That’s approximately 17% (if you round it up) of the games.

In conclusion, your statement of “mistakes of a near weekly basis” isn’t even close to being true.

Three mistakes in your opinion perhaps; in reality the figure was much higher than that. And given that ten goals in total were conceded in the above matches, the goalkeeper being responsible for ~50% of them is not actually a sign of good performance. 

Three mistakes in your opinion perhaps; in reality the figure was much higher than that. And given that ten goals in total were conceded in the above matches, the goalkeeper being responsible for ~50% of them is not actually a sign of good performance. 

Feel free to point out where the other mistakes were.

The 3 I’ve pointed out were Jordan McGhees cross going right over his head, a Josh Mullin cross that he palmed right at Brian Graham and a sliced punt that went to Paul McMullan.

Doohan isn't that great at all. The level to which Ayr fans overrate him is pretty wild. Was very evident when Ayr were covered live that he just simply wasn't very good. 

It use to be the case that you could pick a few goalkeepers from this division who would be decent in the Premier but there's not a single one in that current list who could get into a Premier side. 

Scully came in for our last 15 games and conceded 12 goals (with a pretty unremarkable defence in front of him). Yes, he will have the occasional clanger but it's the clangers people remember and the general good stuff he does goes unnoticed. Don't think I've see a single comment in the Pars thread over summer suggesting we get a new keeper. He may be a diddy but he is our diddy. 

Ryan Scully was excellent in his first spell at us. He picked up player of the year two years on the bounce.

Since playing Championship football, his stock seems to have got worse. Never seen him at this level barring the St. Mirren cup game and the Dundee game last Friday. His distribution and kicking was absolutely guff against Dundee last week. He has always looked like a fantastic shot stopper, but tends to flap at easy situations a la St. Mirren's second in the 3-2 victory.

Some players suit certain clubs. Morton fans are quick at telling us how good Ross Forbes was for them, but he was a total ghost when he played for us. Hopefully Scully can replicate his form during his first spell and, if so, we'll do alright. 6th is probably about the target for us this season anyway. 

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Feel free to point out where the other mistakes were.

The 3 I’ve pointed out were Jordan McGhees cross going right over his head, a Josh Mullin cross that he palmed right at Brian Graham and a sliced punt that went to Paul McMullan.

He didn't exactly cover himself in glory in your 5-0 loss at Palmerston either. I seem to recall McCall slating one top corner Dobbie effort as a bad goalkeeping error.

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

Doohan isn't that great at all. The level to which Ayr fans overrate him is pretty wild. Was very evident when Ayr were covered live that he just simply wasn't very good.

Doohan is decent. He's over-rated by Ayr fans of course but he is still one of the better ones. I accept the point though that the division is full of average keepers despite Fox and Hamilton having been Scotland squad members not so long ago.

Parry always seems to look very good but it's always easier for goalkeepers to stand out at worse sides. Siegrist had some good end of season tv performances which raised his stock but United fans themselves were unconvinced before that. I always used to like Darren Jamieson in his Livi days but their fans reckoned he sometimes had horror shows. He wound up down a level for a reason. Mark Ridgers rarely has a bad game against us to be fair. I'd rate him higher than most do on here I'd say.

Ridgers at 8 is laughable. He was arguably our best player last season (considering Welsh missed parts) and while not certain, arguably had a case to be the best keeper in the league last season.

Siegrist and Sneddon are very good keepers. Doohan and Parry are very good but not the best IMO, and seem to have their own fans really pushing them as the best which distorts the reality of it.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Parry always seems to look very good but it's always easier for goalkeepers to stand out at worse sides.

We must have had a worse side than Alloa last season considering they finished above us,  that didn't mean than Martin looked particularly good for us. He certainly stood out though but not in a good way. 

3 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Ayr fans overrate their players more than any club outside the OF. They used to cream themselves over Jamie Adams ffs.

Scully is definitely not the 3rd best keeper in the division but I'd also doubt he's the worst. He's really not done much wrong at all since returning to EEP but he's a step down from Sean Murdoch.

5 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

To put it into context the goalkeepers in this league 10 year ago were as follows (Ordered by league position):

Ryan Esson
Rab Douglas
Greg Fleming
Ludo Roy
Michael McGovern
Jonathan Tuffey
Dave McGurn
Kevin Cuthbert
Stephen Robertson
Craig Samson

I'd say that Douglas, Roy, McGovern, Tuffey & McGurn were all better than any of the keepers in the league this year. The likes of Esson, Cuthbert & Samson would be near the top and Robertson & Fleming wouldn't look out of place in this years league.

Ludo Roy, Greg Fleming, Craig Samson and Kevin Cuthbert all played for us so I feel we've got a good take on this.

As such I'd say that Doohan is ahead of Fleming and up there with Roy & Samson but still has a bit to go to get near Kevin Cuthbert.

4 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Ayr United televised matches last season:
Ayr 1-3 Ross County
Dundee Utd 2-1 Ayr
Dunfermline 0-1 Ayr
Falkirk 2-0 Ayr
Ross County 3-2 Ayr
Ayr 1-0 Dundee United
Dundee United 0-5

There’s 3 mistakes in there. So that’s 3 mistakes over 18 games. That’s approximately 17% (if you round it up) of the games.

In conclusion, your statement of “mistakes of a near weekly basis” isn’t even close to being true.

Auchinleck Talbot too 😎

3 hours ago, virginton said:

I think those of us who watch a player week in and week out as opposed to someone who watches him on TV occasionally might JUST be able to form a better opinion.

Don't you think ??

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Doohan is decent. He's over-rated by Ayr fans of course but he is still one of the better ones.

Yup. The truth is somewhere in the middle of all the hyperbole. He was excellent for the first half of last season, in the second half a few errors did creep into his game and his kicking seemed to get a bit more unpredictable (after it had been excellent up until then).

He’s definitely a bit overrated by some Ayr fans but when you look at the other keepers in the league it isn’t really a stretch to say he’s still one of the better ones.