Goalkeepers of The Championship

Starting this thread because Ayr fans seem to be of the opinion that they have the best keeper in the league with the loan signing of Doohan for another season. Led to me thinking that the goalkeeping talent in the league this coming season is exceptionally low. So I've tried to rank what I think are the top 10 keepers in the league (I've just included the keeper that has played most games so far this season if there's no definitive first choice as of yet). There's certain one's I've not saw in the flesh as of yet so using the power of P&B, we can maybe get a rough agreement.

My list:

1. Benjamin Siegrist
2. Ross Doohan
3. Ryan Scully
4. Neil Parry
5. Jamie Sneddon
6. Robby McCrorie
7. Jack Hamilton
8. Mark Ridgers
9. Darren Jamieson
10. Sam Ramsbottom

Over to you P&B to manipulate the list until we get it into an objective order because mines is far from being accurate.

9 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Ryan Scully is dug meat.

Looking at the list 3rd does seem generous but I've not saw enough of Sneddon or McCrorie tbf. Ramsbottom looks absolutely awful in the brief glimpses I've saw. Parry is playing in the Championship for the first time at the age of 33, Hamilton and Ridgers are brutal and finally, Jamieson was worse than Scully (Who largely has glowing reviews at Dunfermline) back when he played for Livi.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Looking at the list 3rd does seem generous but I've not saw enough of Sneddon or McCrorie tbf. Ramsbottom looks absolutely awful in the brief glimpses I've saw. Parry is playing in the Championship for the first time at the age of 33, Hamilton and Ridgers are brutal and finally, Jamieson was worse than Scully (Who largely has glowing reviews at Dunfermline) back when he played for Livi.

He played last year and was excellent. 

Has Parry got a decent job outside of football? Even back in his Queen's Park days I thought he was decent, but thought I must had missed something cause that seemed to be his level.

1. Ross Doohan

2. Neil Parry

3. Robby McCrorie

4. Darren Jamieson

5. Benjamin Siegrist

6. Mark Ridgers

7. Jamie Sneddon

8. Sam Ramsbottom

9. Jack Hamilton

10. Ryan Scully

I liked Parry in League 1 and I’m sure he’s been a huge part of Alloa staying up but he sold some pretty cheap goals to us last season. Similarly Ryan Scully was always pretty good for Dunfermline in League One but has turned to shite since signing for Morton and then going back to Dunfermline.

1. Ross Doohan
2. Robby McCrorie
3. Neil Parry
4. Benjamin Siegrist
5. Mark Ridgers
6. Jamie Sneddon
7. Darren Jamieson
8. Ryan Scully
9. Jack Hamilton
10. Sam Ramsbottom

I have no idea who Darren Jamieson is but I’m guessing he plays for Arbroath. I’d say 4-8 are all much of a muchness whilst the top 3 are the best and the bottom 2 are by some distance the worst in the league.

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

1. Ross Doohan

2. Neil Parry

3. Robby McCrorie

4. Darren Jamieson

5. Benjamin Siegrist

6. Mark Ridgers

7. Jamie Sneddon

8. Sam Ramsbottom

9. Jack Hamilton

10. Ryan Scully

Jack Hamilton must be shite to get this listing.

Sadly once you have seen big Sam play you will realise he is not a No. 1 (as on his shirt) but the 10th.

Also don't rate Doolan as that great either, United man was  a standout in playoffs.

Edited by Paisley Ton
Error

Just now, The Gifted Sub said:

That really is the poorest set of goalkeepers I’ve seen in the times we’ve been in this league. Holy moses.

To put it into context the goalkeepers in this league 10 year ago were as follows (Ordered by league position):

Ryan Esson
Rab Douglas
Greg Fleming
Ludo Roy
Michael McGovern
Jonathan Tuffey
Dave McGurn
Kevin Cuthbert
Stephen Robertson
Craig Samson

I'd say that Douglas, Roy, McGovern, Tuffey & McGurn were all better than any of the keepers in the league this year. The likes of Esson, Cuthbert & Samson would be near the top and Robertson & Fleming wouldn't look out of place in this years league.

2 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Neil Parry is the best goalkeeper in the league IMO. 

Agreed. Some very good saves on Saturday against us.

I get Ludo’s reason for not including Scott Fox, but I get the feeling he’d be ranked higher on most non-Thistle fans’ lists than Jamie Sneddon.

Doohan's 'uncharacteristic errors' seem to be occurring on a near weekly basis since the turn of the year: a laughably overrated keeper IMO. Even that total haddy Ramsbottom actually chucked in fewer goals than him on Saturday. 

It's difficult to put anyone at the top from that stack of utter dross, although if McCrorie can reach the level that he managed for us in the first half of this year then he'd be a decent shout. Similar to the Fox situation, Derek Gaston is a generally solid lower-end Championship goalkeeper but would look like Dino fucking Zoff in this list. I'd expect him to become Arbroath's first-choice goalkeeper over the course of the season. 

Ramsbottom is unquestionably worse than even flapper Hamilton, as the former is actually just a beach volleyball player who won a jersey because he's quite big. The lack of basic technique that a goalkeeper normally picks up from an early age is truly staggering; Hamilton is more about chronic lapses in concentration. If our actual first choice keeper is even mediocre for this level then it would be a major improvement to the team.