Mackenzie Watson

Mackenzie Watson

Hey everyone,

My name is Mackenzie and I am a student at Dundee University. I am working as an intern for Lochee Harp JFC based in Dundee. I've recently launched their new website and my next objective is to write out their 'History' section, but finding lots of gaps. I was wondering if anybody on P&B had any photographs, stories, historical material that I could use on the site. I would love to reference you in the site itself and would be incredibly appreciative of any help.

Regards

I can’t give you much about Lochee Harp other than my personal history of what, I believe, is the only meeting between the Harp and my club, Cumnock

Cumnock won the Scottish Junior cup in season 1978/79 against Bo’ness and were drawn against them In the first round the following season , which was pretty unusual.
Cumnock best Bo’ness and were drawn against a team we had never really heard much about, Lochee Harp, and we probably felt after our victory over our old foes from Bo’ness that Harp would be a bit easier, particularly with it being a home tie for Cumnock.

However, I remember that Lochee came to Cumnock and absolutely demolished us by 6-0 ( I think!!), mainly due to a very speedy winger and a big guy playing at centre forward , which brought the defence of the trophy to a shuddering halt

They always talk about happy memories ...... that definitely wasn’t one of my happier ones

I can’t give you much about Lochee Harp other than my personal history of what, I believe, is the only meeting between the Harp and my club, Cumnock

Cumnock won the Scottish Junior cup in season 1978/79 against Bo’ness and were drawn against them In the first round the following season , which was pretty unusual.
Cumnock best Bo’ness and were drawn against a team we had never really heard much about, Lochee Harp, and we probably felt after our victory over our old foes from Bo’ness that Harp would be a bit easier, particularly with it being a home tie for Cumnock.

However, I remember that Lochee came to Cumnock and absolutely demolished us by 6-0 ( I think!!), mainly due to a very speedy winger and a big guy playing at centre forward , which brought the defence of the trophy to a shuddering halt

They always talk about happy memories ...... that definitely wasn’t one of my happier ones
That would have been big Eric Manderson up front for Harp who was about 6ft 6inches. Huge in the day and a great player. I played my 1st ever junior game for the Harp as a 16 year old trialist in about 1985.
Centre half Mike McManus was also a legend late 70s early 80sScreenshot_20190806-174312_Chrome.jpeg

That is a great photograph posted by Dindeleux.  Here is some more information that might help your project.

Lochee Harp have had 13 players who won 22 international caps for Junior Scotland. Between them they also played 9 matches for Junior Scotland against non-international opposition, e.g senior clubs, junior selects, benefit matches, etc. The club had seven other players who only played in non-international matches.

In the photograph A Brown was travelling reserve for the match against England in 1935 and received a cap although he did not play in the match. He is therefore not included in the list below.

We have David Coleman in our records but the photograph has P Coleman and we have a different spelling for Ferguson/Fergusson. If anyone knows the correct version of either that would be great.

JUNIOR INTERNATIONALISTS

In the first set of brackets after the player’s name the first number is international matches and the second number is other matches. The year or year range in the second set of brackets is when they played for Junior Scotland.

Tommy Adamson (1-0) (1935)

Kinnaird Auchterlonie (1-0) (1939)

Dicky Boag (2-1) (1933-1941)

Frank Chaplin (2-1) (1936)

Bobby Cochrane (1-0) (1954)

David Coleman (1-0) (1930)

Hector Duncan (1-0) (1932)

Jimmy Duncan (1-0) (1954)

Alec Ferguson (1-0) (1934)

Johnny Mauchland (2-0) (1937)

Hamish McKay (3-0) (1986)

Mike McManus (5-6) (1978-1989)

Tommy Robertson (1-1) (1959-1960)

NON-INTERNATIONAL MATCHES ONLY

Wilf Allsop (0-1) (1949)

Alex Boyd (0-1) (1948)

Harry Cant (0-2) (1949-1950)

Matthew Conway (0-1) (1946)

Bert Duffy (0-2) (1935-1941)

Emilio Pacione (0-1) (1941)

Ian Robb (0-1) (1961)

That would have been big Eric Manderson up front for Harp who was about 6ft 6inches. Huge in the day and a great player. I played my 1st ever junior game for the Harp as a 16 year old trialist in about 1985.
Centre half Mike McManus was also a legend late 70s early 80sScreenshot_20190806-174312_Chrome.thumb.jpeg.0033f7da590aae08947cd5bee6bdc59a.jpeg

That was the very man, the big boy Manderson

Cheers, Big Al...... your picture just brought back the sleepless nights I was finally getting away from after all these years

I remember both Cumnock and Auchinleck getting beat by Lochee teams that season

If anybody knows the banter between Cumnock and Auchinleck , one story comes to mind of the banter between two guys who drank in our social club

Both lived in Cumnock , but, one was a “refugee” from Auchinleck

After the Lochee Harp game the Auchinleck fan walked into the club and sat a carrier bag in front of the Cumnock fan and walked away
He opened it and in it was 6 cans of Harp lager and a Dundee cake

Cue hilarity from the gathered crowd

It was either the quarter final or the round previous, Auchinleck got beat by Lochee Utd

That night at the Social club, the Cumnock supporter walked into the club and sat a carrier bag down in front of his Auchinleck supporting pal.... he opened it and it contained a pack of United biscuits and a Dundee cake

Hilarious and not one word exchanged

Revenge is a dish best served cold

good luck with your project. worked on the harp ground at beechie years ago. remember walking around the club rooms and being amazed at the size inside with deep baths. like the tardis. things looking up for the harp with new stadium etc

17 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

I wonder if the photograph dates from the 1934/35 season when Harp won the Dundee & District Football League rather than  the 1933/34 season as stated. There are eight caps on display.  Six caps are being worn and two are on the small table at the front. In my earlier post I mentioned that travelling reserves were presented with caps. If it is the 1934/35 season then I think the eight caps belong to the following players in the line-up.

Back row (from left) – J Dunn (secretary), A Brown (1935 v England – reserve), Tommy Adamson (1935 v Ireland), W Cameron (trainer).

Front row – A Fergusson (1934 v Ireland), Hector Duncan (1932 v Wales), G Walls (president), P Coleman (1930 v Ireland & 1930 v Wales - reserve), R Boag (1933 v England & 1934 v England).

I think Tommy Adamson might be the key to dating the photograph.  He only played in one international (1935), however, he appears to have come under the selectors’ view at the end of the 1933/34 season when he was selected in the reserve XI for the last international against Wales on 21 April 1934. However, he does not appear to have been selected as the travelling reserve as he was selected to play for Harp on the day. I cannot find him a travelling reserve in any other matches. However, it is always possible he was called in at the last minute for the Wales game to be the reserve, received a cap and that could make the photograph 1933/34!.

Another bit of information. Hector and Jimmy Duncan were one of only two father and son combinations capped for Junior Scotland and played for the same club. The other was George and Willie Westwater of Dunipace.

• 2 weeks later...