Elgin City 2019/20

3 hours ago, Highland ITFC said:

Volunteer?! It's a commercial organisation with paying customers, & any such business will / should have a marketing function to inform & retain current customers, & to attract new ones. I wouldn't be expecting anybody to volunteer to maintain my business' website & social media. If the prior expertise in this area has left the club, then they need to recruit somebody new in her place. 

Are you new to Scottish lower league football?

You know how our clubs work, right?

3 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Well that’s maybe true and a great aspiration but I think most at club are volunteers and another £20000 for another wage might be harder to find.

Yes, absolutely appreciate that budgets / cashflow may be tight, but one can equally look on it from a more positive & pro-active perspective. Taking your £20k p.a. example, employ somebody part-time (or as part of another role) for say 2.5 days per week - plenty of time to cover matches & manage website & other social media content - at £10k, & that is equivalent to their work delivering just 46 more fans through the turnstiles at each home league game.....46.3  @ £12 x 18 games = £10k.

Not a lofty ambition I would suggest, & this without taking into account cup games, pre-season friendlies, incremental spend at the ground, or importantly increased sponsorship income. Businesses want to see consistent / ongoing exposure on clubs' websites & social media in return for their sponsorship dollar, & if this isn't clearly visible then any that are doing it with half a commercial eye on the spend i.e. not just seeing it as a donation to the club, won't be interested. If any club has ambitions to progress, without the benefit of contribution from a handy sugar daddy, then there are definite bases that need to be covered, & decent website & social media activity is definitely one of those.  

Yes, absolutely appreciate that budgets / cashflow may be tight, but one can equally look on it from a more positive & pro-active perspective. Taking your £20k p.a. example, employ somebody part-time (or as part of another role) for say 2.5 days per week - plenty of time to cover matches & manage website & other social media content - at £10k, & that is equivalent to their work delivering just 46 more fans through the turnstiles at each home league game.....46.3  @ £12 x 18 games = £10k.
Not a lofty ambition I would suggest, & this without taking into account cup games, pre-season friendlies, incremental spend at the ground, or importantly increased sponsorship income. Businesses want to see consistent / ongoing exposure on clubs' websites & social media in return for their sponsorship dollar, & if this isn't clearly visible then any that are doing it with half a commercial eye on the spend i.e. not just seeing it as a donation to the club, won't be interested. If any club has ambitions to progress, without the benefit of contribution from a handy sugar daddy, then there are definite bases that need to be covered, & decent website & social media activity is definitely one of those.  

This is the Scottish lower leagues. In your little scenario, an additional 46 fans every game will be close to 10% of the average gate. That’s every game, and even then, that’s just to break even. Or they could get a volunteer to do it, and spend the £10k on a new striker. Assuming they have a spare £10k in the first place.

Good to see Stirling & Stenny fans joining the conversation & exhibiting interest in & concern for Elgin.

A quick check online shows that Elgin had an average gate of 622 last year (587 for Stirling & 571 for Stenny), third behind Peterhead & Clyde, & this has increased to 701 for the season to date (597 for Stirling & 462 for Stenny), second behind Cove, so it would seem that optimism for the new / current season & Cove's addition to the league (the gate was 1,000 for that game) means that additional fans are already coming, which of course accordingly means additional revenue in the coffers already.

Couple that with the £14k reported as being received for the BetFred TV game vs Hibs, & progressing in two cups (assuming that Elgin don't manage to lose to Berwick), then one wouldn't imagine that the Club's finances are in a parlous state, although clearly not in the same league metaphorically as Cove. I don't have any idea about Stirling & Stenny's positions, so might be interesting to hear some comparative thoughts.

Anyhow, one way or another, I'd still suggest that Elgin should be able to find a few bob to ensure a decent presence online. I'd imagine that the previous incumbent in the role wasn't doing it for nothing as believe that she was a Club employee. If any other Elgin fans know better though, I stand to be corrected. What do other Elgin fans think on this anyhow? The question was asked & I've added my thoughts, as has Thom & Gerry, but would be good to hear from others.  

simple fact is the club r underachieving and whilst lots of what we do is right we have failed to get it right on the pitch to date. the club is punching well below its weight given the potential for crowds etc. if we had the success that peterhead have had we would be easy 1000 plus per week. for me the potential is championship but reality is what we are seeing 

Good to see Stirling & Stenny fans joining the conversation & exhibiting interest in & concern for Elgin.
A quick check online shows that Elgin had an average gate of 622 last year (587 for Stirling & 571 for Stenny), third behind Peterhead & Clyde, & this has increased to 701 for the season to date (597 for Stirling & 462 for Stenny), second behind Cove, so it would seem that optimism for the new / current season & Cove's addition to the league (the gate was 1,000 for that game) means that additional fans are already coming, which of course accordingly means additional revenue in the coffers already.
Couple that with the £14k reported as being received for the BetFred TV game vs Hibs, & progressing in two cups (assuming that Elgin don't manage to lose to Berwick), then one wouldn't imagine that the Club's finances are in a parlous state, although clearly not in the same league metaphorically as Cove. I don't have any idea about Stirling & Stenny's positions, so might be interesting to hear some comparative thoughts.
Anyhow, one way or another, I'd still suggest that Elgin should be able to find a few bob to ensure a decent presence online. I'd imagine that the previous incumbent in the role wasn't doing it for nothing as believe that she was a Club employee. If any other Elgin fans know better though, I stand to be corrected. What do other Elgin fans think on this anyhow? The question was asked & I've added my thoughts, as has Thom & Gerry, but would be good to hear from others.  
I think it is vital that at the very minimum they get someone to control the club's social media outlets during matches that is at the match and provide live updates of the action.
The website being so far behind is not great at all and surely wouldn't take too much work to update a few upto date photos.
The highlights is a miss but the fact that Louise Shaw has moved on to Rangers now it is understandable that no-one else has taken that on as yet.

17 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Good win pity it’s the cup next week and don’t get the chance to build on this win.

Yup, good to a few goals going in again, including a midfielder getting on the scoresheet aswell as Shane, & 3 points as a result. Should be another win next week, barring an almighty f*ck up, so confidence from two wins to take into the next league game after that, all being well!

Airdrie next week and Berwick the week after. Not at all fussed about the challenge cup and Berwick are poor so a chance to rest players and give others some game time. Not wholesale changes as progress in the Scottish Cup is vital, just a couple per game maybe.