Jump to content

Elgin City 2019/20


Recommended Posts

Sadly I have to agree with Thom& Gerry. Elgin have probably never had a better chance of going up but the main losers would be Cove. However it is only football and the well being of the public is far more important

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, elginer said:

Sadly I have to agree with Thom& Gerry. Elgin have probably never had a better chance of going up but the main losers would be Cove. However it is only football and the well being of the public is far more important

I dont think John Sheran will agree with you. Non promotion would be another example of the hatred by the SFA against Cove.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Season over for me. Null and void .

The SFA and SPFL have stated a few times that it won't be void and of course we can always trust what they say.

I think it will be a delay rather than anything else. The virus isn't going to go away and we can't live with everything in total shutdown. People will say we can survive no problem without football or other sports and in many ways we could. Life is more important, but for some people it is their livelihood. What right does anyone else have to dictate to someone that they cannot work when they themselves are going to their work? Not everyone involved in football or other sports earn fortunes. Many people earn an ordinary living from the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dont think John Sheran will agree with you. Non promotion would be another example of the hatred by the SFA against Cove.
Quick look on the League 2 thread....Oh and surprise surprise Lex is still greeting about Cove what a seething mess of a man you are.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, mo83 said:
11 hours ago, Brazilianlex said:
I dont think John Sheran will agree with you. Non promotion would be another example of the hatred by the SFA against Cove.

Quick look on the League 2 thread....Oh and surprise surprise Lex is still greeting about Cove what a seething mess of a man you are.

😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

I hope your right PELE but they shut everything down during the war, extreme case I know and BA already paying staff off with others to follow I’m sure.

Any company involved in entertainment, travel and tourism is really going to struggle.

I don't see the point in ending the season rather than delaying it. I can understand a temporary shut down to let the emergency services cope with an upturn in infections and also because a lot of people will be unwell in the short term. The main aim should be protecting the vulnerable. A true total lockdown isn't realistically possible and a partial lockdown isn't going to stop the virus spreading. Just delay it to help cope. China is a bit different. The sheer size of their population makes it impossible to cope if they didn't enforce a lockdown.

I see there is some talk in England of maybe enlarging each league for one season, just promoting the top few and then relegating more teams than normal at the end of next season. Scrapping the League Cup to ease congestion etc.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PELE said:

Any company involved in entertainment, travel and tourism is really going to struggle.

I don't see the point in ending the season rather than delaying it. I can understand a temporary shut down to let the emergency services cope with an upturn in infections and also because a lot of people will be unwell in the short term. The main aim should be protecting the vulnerable. A true total lockdown isn't realistically possible and a partial lockdown isn't going to stop the virus spreading. Just delay it to help cope. China is a bit different. The sheer size of their population makes it impossible to cope if they didn't enforce a lockdown.

I see there is some talk in England of maybe enlarging each league for one season, just promoting the top few and then relegating more teams than normal at the end of next season. Scrapping the League Cup to ease congestion etc.

 

I seen that talked about in Scotland too

no relegation and bring in up to 4 clubs from lowland / highland league into league  2. No doubt the Colts will be suggested again at some  point !

this would suit a lot of clubs as the Championship have been banging on about wanting 12 clubs for ages.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Brazilianlex said:

I seen that talked about in Scotland too

no relegation and bring in up to 4 clubs from lowland / highland league into league  2. No doubt the Colts will be suggested again at some  point !

this would suit a lot of clubs as the Championship have been banging on about wanting 12 clubs for ages.

Maybe they will move to the 3 leagues of 16 set-up. Bringing in 6 new teams and having automatic relegation at the bottom of the third league. They could try to push it through as a solution to any longer shutdown. It would mean no relegation for anyone and promotion for the top four in the Championship, promotion for the whole of League 1 and no promotion for anyone in League 2, but adding 6 teams to the league. A few teams would complain, mainly the top of League 2, but they would be in the minority if the other teams were keen. Or, maybe they could have some sort of play-off to decide some of the promoted teams.

Although, if the shutdown isn't temporary, do we shut down every time the virus starts spreading again?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guys I’d be surprised if there’s any football until a vaccine is found.

That’s well into next year according to most accounts.

The only question for clubs for the forseeable future, whatever the SPFL decide with regard to this season, is how to survive without any income.

It’s a horrible situation for the clubs and for us for whom football is such a huge part of life. 

I can see a lot of wartime-style “going into abeyance” for clubs and a bit of a chaotic couple of years after we get the all clear to start playing again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/03/2020 at 09:08, mo83 said:
On 13/03/2020 at 22:29, Brazilianlex said:
I dont think John Sheran will agree with you. Non promotion would be another example of the hatred by the SFA against Cove.

Quick look on the League 2 thread....Oh and surprise surprise Lex is still greeting about Cove what a seething mess of a man you are.

I look forward to reading your comments about Cove next season. There isn’t much good can be said about them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/03/2020 at 10:07, Ivo den Bieman said:

Guys I’d be surprised if there’s any football until a vaccine is found.

That’s well into next year according to most accounts.

The only question for clubs for the forseeable future, whatever the SPFL decide with regard to this season, is how to survive without any income.

It’s a horrible situation for the clubs and for us for whom football is such a huge part of life. 

I can see a lot of wartime-style “going into abeyance” for clubs and a bit of a chaotic couple of years after we get the all clear to start playing again.

That may be a very long wait. Very few viruses have available treatments. The small number that do tend to just lessen the symptoms to allow our immune system to fight back. Bacterial infections are far easier to treat, or they were until we started over using antibiotics.

There are many coronaviruses and there are no vaccines for any of them.

That's why it is mainly frail elderly people who are affected. Their immune system struggles to fight the virus, just as it does with the common cold or influenza and pneumonia causes their death.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/03/2020 at 17:10, Super Elgin City said:

Tatters on BBC Scotland saying Elgin could go out of business by May with some significant investment coming in. Very worrying.

Have just seen a crowd funder set up by the club, seeking to raise £25k. Understand that all staff are having wages cut by two-thirds aswell. Very worrying times for the club & all involved with it, & more widely for football as a whole, especially lower down the pyramid. 😟

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have just seen a crowd funder set up by the club, seeking to raise £25k. Understand that all staff are having wages cut by two-thirds aswell. Very worrying times for the club & all involved with it, & more widely for football as a whole, especially lower down the pyramid.
Aye I just seen that. Very concerning. I would like to think our fan base will rally round and raise the money and hopefully that is enough. Seen that the Grants from the SFA for next season have been partly paid early to help out aswell.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Highland ITFC said:

Have just seen a crowd funder set up by the club, seeking to raise £25k. Understand that all staff are having wages cut by two-thirds aswell. Very worrying times for the club & all involved with it, & more widely for football as a whole, especially lower down the pyramid. 😟

Yeah. Without being over dramatic, if we can’t get next season started this year forgetting this season which is finished imo, I can see Elgin and most lower division clubs releasing all players and going into abeyance until football restarts again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All Elgin players and non playing staff have taken a 67% pay cut to try and get us to survive the next few months. Good on them, hopefully that is enough for us to keep going. If this goes on longer can see us losing all our players at the very best and I dread to think the worst case scenario

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...