Elgin City 2019/20

5 hours ago, Am Muilleach said:

IF found guilty, a fine, a gambling awareness course and then a spell of community service going round talking about gambling addiction would surely be more appropriate.

Gambing is a huge problem in football, and in society in general, better to get something good from the situation rather than fill prisons up.

From reading the article, this isn't about gambling addiction though. Hester is being charged with committing fraud.

I agree, gambling is a huge problem in football. Especially with our governing bodies happy to take coin from these bookmakers with one hand, while punishing players for gambling with the other. But gambling addiction and breaking Scottish football rules isn't what Hester's charge is about. It's about committing fraud.

"Hester, 24, Brodie Myers, 26, Calvin Parrott, 24, and Findlay Soutar, 23, face a charge of obtaining money through the formation of a fraudulent scheme"

On 24/01/2020 at 19:21, Thom & Gerry said:

As a player of Elgin, who as a team I think you support, rather than kick a boy when he’s down, might be supportive to keep your thoughts to yourself. You’ve made it plain enough in the past that your not a fan of him as a player. He hasn’t even been found guilty of anything yet.

As per the previous response, i was reading the article, as he was originally accused of the fraud. Thursday's day in court he has now been charged with the offence and the next court date will presumably for the sentencing? At the bottom of that article it indicated the maximum punishment hester and his mates may get but we won't find out until he's next in front of the judge.

I assume that after the court have dealt with him he will then be dealt with with by the SPFL or whoever, which may result in a lengthy ban ?
I'd expect if he's found guilty that the SPFL or whoever will throw the book at him, but there isn't exactly much precedent to go on that i'm aware of. It must surely depend on the court's findings first.

31 minutes ago, WeAreElgin said:
43 minutes ago, Best Team in Angus said:
I assume that after the court have dealt with him he will then be dealt with with by the SPFL or whoever, which may result in a lengthy ban ?

I'd expect if he's found guilty that the SPFL or whoever will throw the book at him, but there isn't exactly much precedent to go on that i'm aware of. It must surely depend on the court's findings first.

That may be an issue for him as they may lay down a marker as a warning to others

3 hours ago, greendot said:

As per the previous response, i was reading the article, as he was originally accused of the fraud. Thursday's day in court he has now been charged with the offence and the next court date will presumably for the sentencing? At the bottom of that article it indicated the maximum punishment hester and his mates may get but we won't find out until he's next in front of the judge.

The Court appearance was to formally lay the charges against them. They made no plea or declaration as is normal practice.  A further court date will be set for trial if they don’t make any plea in the meantime. If they don’t plead I doubt any trial will happen this calendar year definitely not this season.

Looking at something of a more positive note for the club, the U20s played their latest league game last night & won 5-0, & could easily have been double that but for some profligacy in front of goal & some good keeping. Elgin City Diehards on Facebook picked out that Dingwall, MacEwan & Wilson were all involved from a current First Team matchday squad perspective, but for me there's so much more of note in terms of all the quality young players that have & are coming through the club's youth academy over the last 2.5 seasons that the U20s have been in operation. This is really exciting for the Club as a fair number have already also made their First Team debuts, & I'd say that over the next 2-3 seasons we'll see a lot of these lads start breaking into the First Team proper. For those ECFC fans that aren't familiar with the youngsters, here's a little form guide:

Oliver Kelly - a solid young keeper who is developing / improving quickly & is currently McHale's matchday understudy

Liam McDade - quality young left back who is strong both defensively & going forward, & has a lovely left foot for crosses & set pieces. Currently on loan at Strathspey Thistle after prior spells at Lossie & Clach, & prior to Elgin was in the same age / peer group as Cameron Harper at ICT

Ashley Ballam - big powerful ball-playing defender, currently on loan at Huntly after prior seasons at Rothes & Strathspey, & another that came through ICT's youth ranks

Lee Scott - versatile player with a preference for central midfield where he looks after the ball extremely well. Currently on loan at Keith after prior season with Islavale

Charlie Hay - another quality central midfielder that Gavin rates highly, having introduced him to the First Team squad as a 15 year old, & currently gaining experience on the bench on match days

Aiden Sopel - quick & extremely skillfull attacking midfielder / striker who was signed by Peterhead after leaving ICT, before moving to Elgin. Currently in every matchday squad & waiting patiently for his opportunity after prior loan spells at Banks O'Dee & Huntly

Jake Thomson - similar to Aiden but more of an out & out wide player that beats defenders with a stepover & good pace. Currently on loan at Strathspey after spending last season at Nairn St Ninians

Owen Loveland - already well known to fans as the Club's youngest ever scorer in the Scottish Cup. Spending the second half of the season on loan at Lossie

That's eight who'd I'd be surprised if we don't see making strides into the First Team over the next few seasons, & there's more coming through aswell. The current U16s are a particularly strong group. Keep an eye out on the Club's social media & the SHFL website for details of the U20s last four fixtures of the season & come along if you're interested to see more of the youngsters for yourself. They've won the league the last couple of years, & look likely to repeat that this season, having only lost once in the last 18 months or so.

That’s great to hear ICT you obviously have an interest or connection with youth football. In my experience with juvenile/youth football, the difficulty  is bridging the gab to first team football and I’m all for loans to juniors and HL. I’m sure if they are good enough they will get a first team opportunity.

Its great to see the club investing in under age football and the community which will hopefully bear fruit going forward.

Elgin only moved to going as young as under 8s in 2013. Previously youth football only started at under 13s so the next few years is going to be really interesting. There is a big number of youngsters at the club who have been there for upwards of 5 years. The youth set up Elgin are building is really something we should be proud of. I believe in the next couple of years we are going to see a high number of local lads breaking through into the 1st team. With a bit of luck this success the Under 20s have been having is just the start of something very good.

Does seem odd, as I thought (from previous discussions on here about the loan system) that these days loans had to be transfer window to window, & if you do get recalled early then you can't play for your parent clubs' First Team until the window in which the loan was made has expired. So if that is correct, then Harper wouldn't be able to play for ICT's First Team (& they don't have a Reserves), & likewise Elgin can't recall the likes of Ballam or McDade from their current loans to fill the void. So is Spark due back already? Has there been an issue between the clubs re Harper, as both clubs' announcements said it was by 'mutual consent'? I guess a case of 'watch this space'?

Just wondering what Elgin fans thoughts on Hester up and coming court date now that Brian rice has been banned from the Dugout for 10 games for his gambling in football? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51316752

As far as I know Brian's was just simply betting on matches and doesn't have the fraud element that Kane's does. Previous gambler, Dean Brett getting a four match ban but ultimately sacked by the club  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39083265 and he bet against his team in which he was playing. Things are definitely getting stricter in terms of rule breach punishments 

12 minutes ago, greendot said:

Just wondering what Elgin fans thoughts on Hester up and coming court date now that Brian rice has been banned from the Dugout for 10 games for his gambling in football? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51316752

As far as I know Brian's was just simply betting on matches and doesn't have the fraud element that Kane's does. Previous gambler, Dean Brett getting a four match ban but ultimately sacked by the club  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39083265 and he bet against his team in which he was playing. Things are definitely getting stricter in terms of rule breach punishments 

I think what everyone seems to be missing is that the offences by Rice and Brett were not criminal offences but were breaking rules.

Hester is up on a serious criminal charge. They appeared on petition, !!!  That’s one court below the High Court. This is not some old duffer magistrate on the bench going to slap his wrists. He will do very very well to escape jail time.

Doesn't look to clever at all for Hester. The only thing he might get away with is if there isn't 100% evidence that he was involved with the placing of the bet?

8 hours ago, Brazilianlex said:

I think what everyone seems to be missing is that the offences by Rice and Brett were not criminal offences but were breaking rules.

Hester is up on a serious criminal charge. They appeared on petition, !!!  That’s one court below the High Court. This is not some old duffer magistrate on the bench going to slap his wrists. He will do very very well to escape jail time.

Not missing that fact as i raised it in my post but depending on the criminal element of things if he has a short sentence (if at all?) then surely the SPFL would still have to act as he is associated with the rule breaking side of things as well.  Of course, if he's given a 1yr sentence (possibly six month to serve as all criminals seem to be released early!) then any punishment by the SPFL would be pointless but at the same time, can't be ruled out either.  I probably didn't make it too clear with my post above though.

Does seem odd, as I thought (from previous discussions on here about the loan system) that these days loans had to be transfer window to window, & if you do get recalled early then you can't play for your parent clubs' First Team until the window in which the loan was made has expired. So if that is correct, then Harper wouldn't be able to play for ICT's First Team (& they don't have a Reserves), & likewise Elgin can't recall the likes of Ballam or McDade from their current loans to fill the void. So is Spark due back already? Has there been an issue between the clubs re Harper, as both clubs' announcements said it was by 'mutual consent'? I guess a case of 'watch this space'?

I guess Harper is ok to play for ICT if loan cancelled before end of present window?